Need Advice on Injured Paw/Missing Claw

Old September 26th 05, 04:18 PM
Meghan

Default Need Advice on Injured Paw/Missing Claw

2 weeks ago my 2 year old indoor-only Manx "Gray" managed to rip out his
front right index claw. After 2-3 days it started to smell terrible so off
to the vet we went. The vet said it may or may not grow back, and
prescribed Amoxi drops to fight off infection.

Gray has a big problem taking any kind of pill or liquid. It traumatizes
him every time and he ends up foaming and running around with pink/white
slime coming out of his mouth. After 9.5 days on the Amoxi drops he
developed diahrea, intense foaming and began vomiting pink foam. The vet
indicated to take him off the meds and see what happens.

Now, the terrible stench is back coming from the claw area. It is only
slightly swollen, and has a little pink nub which seems to always be wet.
I'm not sure if this is the claw growing back or an infection? It doesn't
seem to bother him at all - he lets me touch it etc. and I never see him
licking at it or limping.

My question is... if I call the vet again she's just going to prescribe
another antibiotic and we're going to go through another 10 days of
trauma/foam. Does the smell from the claw indicate a definite recurrence of
the infection? Will it heal itself? I hate to subject Gray to MORE
antibiotics, but obviously want him to heal correctly.

Thanks, Meghan

Old September 26th 05, 04:25 PM

Meghan wrote:
Gray has a big problem taking any kind of pill or liquid. It traumatizes
him every time and he ends up foaming and running around with pink/white
slime coming out of his mouth. After 9.5 days on the Amoxi drops he
developed diahrea, intense foaming and began vomiting pink foam. The vet
indicated to take him off the meds and see what happens.

Has the vet indicated any other options for this problem?

With liquid, I have put it into wet food.

Or I have sprinkled antibiotic in the capsule form over canned food
which was harder to detect in this way.

Is the amount too much for your particular cat? The stuff does get cats
naueous.

Old September 26th 05, 04:43 PM
Karen

wrote in message
oups.com...

Meghan wrote:
Gray has a big problem taking any kind of pill or liquid. It

traumatizes
him every time and he ends up foaming and running around with pink/white
slime coming out of his mouth. After 9.5 days on the Amoxi drops he
developed diahrea, intense foaming and began vomiting pink foam. The

vet
indicated to take him off the meds and see what happens.

Has the vet indicated any other options for this problem?

With liquid, I have put it into wet food.

Or I have sprinkled antibiotic in the capsule form over canned food
which was harder to detect in this way.

Is the amount too much for your particular cat? The stuff does get cats
naueous.

Can the cat get an antibiotic shot?

Old September 26th 05, 05:17 PM
lewe

"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

my red one recently suffered a claw injury he got climbing up a tree when
he got scared (normally indoor cat, on a leash at summer place when scared
by dogs)
the claw wasn't gone, but the "claw capsule" (don't know the English but you
get what I mean?) was fractured, one week passed before we realised he was
really hurt, started smelling a bit from infection - he was moving about and
using his paw just fine, no limping and no picking at it.
Vet took one look at it and said it had to be cleaned and rinsed, so he had
an op within the hour. Did your vet do any cleaning at all, i.e. getting rid
of all the possibly remaining hurt part and rinsing away bacteria/infection?
As I understand this *needs* to be done.
The smell would most certainly suggest the infection is not gone. The red
one went back for check-up last Friday and the vet looked at his paw and
then proceeded to sniff it to make sure - looks kind of funny when the human
does the sniffing ...
Anyway all was good and the antibiotics was stopped, he took them for a
week, he also had some other pills the first few days against swelling and
pain to the bone.
I would definitely bring the cat back - maybe to another vet?
The antibiotics we got was pills that could be mixed with the food - "liver
flavour" it said on the pack.
Good luck!
--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cats' pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old September 26th 05, 05:30 PM
Meghan

"lewe" wrote in message
"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

Lewe, I was afraid of this. We live in a VERY rural area and I don't have
much faith in the vet. The only vet I really trust is 3 hours away. I was
hoping to avoid the trauma of having to force a 6 hour car ride on him.
There was no washing out done - none of that.

The problem with the antibiotics is that Gray is small (8 pounds) and
doesn't really care much for food. He was on antibiotics twice before, for
respiratory problems, and I couldn't hide the pill/powder/liquid in
ANYTHING. He normally does like canned food and tuna, but if there's
anything in or on it, he knows and won't go near it.

Meghan

Old September 26th 05, 05:46 PM
---MIKE---

After 9.5 days on the Amoxi drops he
developed diahrea,

This is common when cats (or humans) take antibiotics. Get some
acidolpholus capsules at a health food store. Make sure that they are
capsules and are kept refrigerated. Open a capsule and mix the powder
with canned food (it has NO taste). This would stop the diarrhea within
24 hours.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 26th 05, 09:23 PM
Phil P.

"Meghan" wrote in message
[...]

Healing correctly is not the immediate concern- preventing bacteremia and
sepsis is the first priority.

He's foaming from the mouth from the liquid medication- ask your vet to
prescribe pills. You can make pilling much less stressful for him (and you)
by using a Pill Popper:

http://www.maxshouse.com/instruments...pillpopper.jpg

Just make sure to pop the pill into the laryngopharynx so it doesn't
dissolve in his mouth and he can't smell or taste it. He's a diagram of how
to easily and quickly pill a cat with minimal stress:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

You can use a pill popper instead of your fingers to get the pill as far
back as possible.

Don't chase or call him to pill- let him come to you or pick him up when
he's sleeping- cats are more cooperative when the just wake up and still a
little groggy. Pet his head gently for a minute or two while holding the
pill popper in your other hand. In one, swift continuous motion, open his
mouth by gently by squeezing the joint between his upper and lower jaw with
your thumb and middle finger, slide the pill popper into the back of his
mouth and press the plunger to pop the pill. Have an oral syringe with
water ready to make sure the pill clears his esophagus. Insert the syringe
between the teeth and the buccal wall through the little gap just behind his
canine teeth (diastema). Administer the water slowly so he doesn't choke.

http://www.maxshouse.com/anatomy/man...edial_view.jpg

You might also want to try giving him a little water in this way after the
liquid amoxi to see it helps him tolerate the liquid med a little better
before opting for the pills.

If all else fails, ask your vet to show you how to administer the amoxi
injectable subcutaneously. This is probably the easiest route of all for
both of you. SC injections are easy and painless because the meds are
injected just under the skin and not into the muscle.

Unfortunately, diarrhea is fairly common side affect of the penicillin
class of drugs because it alters gut flora (antibiotic-associated
diarrhea). If it doesn't subside in a few days, ask your vet if he can
prescribe a different class of antibiotic.

Best of luck,

Phil.

Old September 26th 05, 09:40 PM
-L.

Meghan wrote:
2 weeks ago my 2 year old indoor-only Manx "Gray" managed to rip out his
front right index claw. After 2-3 days it started to smell terrible so off
to the vet we went. The vet said it may or may not grow back, and
prescribed Amoxi drops to fight off infection.

snip

The avulsed claw probably needs to be surgically removed, the wound
cleaned and stitched. I wouldn't mess around with it any more - it's
infected - get him into the vet and get it taken care of. If he can't
tolerate liquid antibiotics, ask for pills. There are options other
than amoxicillin for him.

Good luck,
-L.

Old September 26th 05, 10:08 PM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Meghan wrote:
2 weeks ago my 2 year old indoor-only Manx "Gray" managed to rip out his
front right index claw. After 2-3 days it started to smell terrible so

off
to the vet we went. The vet said it may or may not grow back, and
prescribed Amoxi drops to fight off infection.

snip

The avulsed claw probably needs to be surgically removed, the wound
cleaned and stitched. I wouldn't mess around with it any more - it's
infected - get him into the vet and get it taken care of.

You know something? You're right. Onychectomy of the single claw is
probably the best route to take.

Phil

Old September 27th 05, 04:43 AM
IBen Getiner

Meghan wrote:
2 weeks ago my 2 year old indoor-only Manx "Gray" managed to rip out his
front right index claw.

Great! While you're on a roll, you might as well get the other 19
removed as well. Something you should have done a long time ago.
Grey is an indoor cat by your own admission. He doesn't need his claws
anymore. They offer him no other benefits, and they spell nothing but
'destruction' for your home. Why do you allow him to keep them?

IBen