Need some help/suggestions...

Old March 12th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

Default Need some help/suggestions...

Oscar, my runt Siamese, is getting worse with his 'bathroom issues'. He has
IBS, so he goes a little bit, but frequently. I've watched what he does.
He goes into the box, finds a place to poop, and then backs up, puts his
back legs on the ledge of the litter box and poops... on the ledge, or
right on the side of the boxes. I have 3 cats and 3 storage bins (huge)
that I use for boxes. They are cleaned out daily. I have the boxes on
cardboard. The cardboard is changed out in the spring and in the fall.
(It's cement flooring underneath, so that gets mopped when the cardboard is
removed twice a year). What I'm doing now is using paper brown sandwich
bags. I line the one box he does his business in. It's quick to pick up
the bag that's been pooped on and toss it in the used litter garbage pail.
The room (down in the basement) is cleaned and deodorized frequently.

I just don't know how to re-train an 11 y.o. cat (btw, today is his
birthday)!! He eats CD formula canned food from the vets for his IBS. His
tummy is sensitive, so he's only allowed 2 treats a day.

Anybody else have a kitty that doesn't aim very well in the litter box?? I
thought about putting foil around the box, but I don't want to freak him (or
my other two) out.

TIA!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old March 12th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have any suggestions, but I definitely would NOT put foil around the
litter box. From what I've heard about cats and foil, that could result in
their not using the box at all.

Joy

Old March 12th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

Anybody else have a kitty that doesn't aim very well in the litter box?? I
thought about putting foil around the box, but I don't want to freak him (or
my other two) out.

How about a covered or high-sided litter tray? This worked for my two
old girls who do not aim very well.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CLH-12-Op...p/B002BDU8EW/r
ef=pd_sim_k_2

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 12th 11, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

Anybody else have a kitty that doesn't aim very well in the litter box??
thought about putting foil around the box, but I don't want to freak him
(or
my other two) out.

How about a covered or high-sided litter tray? This worked for my two
old girls who do not aim very well.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CLH-12-Op...p/B002BDU8EW/r
ef=pd_sim_k_2

Deb.

-----

Thanks, Deb!! You know, this could be the answer I'm looking for. I read
some of the reviews. Sounds like the corners are hard to get at to clean
because they're oval rather than squared. How does that issue work for
you??

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

Old March 12th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

Anybody else have a kitty that doesn't aim very well in the litter box??
thought about putting foil around the box, but I don't want to freak him
(or
my other two) out.

How about a covered or high-sided litter tray? This worked for my two
old girls who do not aim very well.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CLH-12-Op...p/B002BDU8EW/r
ef=pd_sim_k_2

Deb.

------

Let me add to my reply. What I like about these litter boxes is they aren't
100% covered. I think that would make an easy transition from the boxes
that they currently use. Could this possibly work?? Hmmmm... still
thinkin' about it!!

Again, thanks Deb!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

Old March 12th 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

[...]

---
I'll be interested in how you get on. Sootie, bless her, doesn't like
using her litter tray and stands on the rim and sometimes misses. When
I've cleaned it all up, she comes into the room walks around the tray. She
looks at the floor all around it, then peers into it. The last check is a
sniff all over the fresh litter. Then she walks away. She's now checked
I've cleaned it properly.

------

I went ahead and bought two. I really think this will be the answer. I
just hope the change doesn't cause them stress. 'Will definitely give my
'customer review' to y'all in here!! And thanks again to Deb!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old March 12th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

I went ahead and bought two. I really think this will be the answer. I
just hope the change doesn't cause them stress. 'Will definitely give my
'customer review' to y'all in here!! And thanks again to Deb!!

You're welcome! I don't have that exact one as it's not available here
but if it was, I would get it as I think it's a brilliant design. I just
looked on the US Amazon site for ones that I thought might work for you.
Perfect for cats that may not want to go into a fully covered tray but
the high sides will prevent any overspill. As they are clear, it's less
offputting for them too.

The trays I have are fully covered and are such a simple but effective
solution to cats that can no longer aim well :-) No more puddles under
the tray :-) They adapted immediately to the change of tray.

I noticed the review comment about the litter getting stuck in the
corners. Another reviewer said it wasn't a problem for them becuase they
used a different type of litter. I would think if you use an easily
scoopable litter such as pellets of woodchip or newspaper, it doesn't
stick to the tray and can be easily loosened with a scoop or some
tissue. I think you'd only have problems with clumping clay litter. I
hate that stuff because it's messy, heavy, tracks everywhere, sticks to
and scratches the tray and also smells after a very short time. (less
than a day). I use Yesterday's News for my 5 and the foster cats -
pellets of recycled newspaper. Absorbent, very little tracking and it
doesn't smell when wet. Very easy to keep the trays clean as well.

Hope the new trays work for you!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 12th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Mar 12, 1:44*pm, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:
[...]

. )) -: :-
. . ))
Laurie
(( . ..
-: :- (( .

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

My Rusty (RB) also had IBD (and pancreatitis).
Sometimes he overshot with his pee.
I used a big litter box with cover and put a garbage bag
underneath the box, on top of a boot tray, to protect the tile floor.

Winnie
Old March 12th 11, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
Anybody else have a kitty that doesn't aim very well in the litter box??
thought about putting foil around the box, but I don't want to freak him
(or
my other two) out.

How about a covered or high-sided litter tray? This worked for my two
old girls who do not aim very well.
For example:http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CLH-12-Op...p/B002BDU8EW/r
ef=pd_sim_k_2

Deb.

------

Let me add to my reply. *What I like about these litter boxes is they aren't
100% covered. *I think that would make an easy transition from the boxes
that they currently use. *Could this possibly work?? *Hmmmm... *still
thinkin' about it!!

The box I had came with a swing door in front for the cat to go it.
As for the corners, I used a litter box liner that got changed once
in a while. So the box stayed relatively clean until Rusty(RB)
scratched
holes on the liner and the bottom of the box got a bit wet.
When Rusty had problem pushing the swing door opened, I removed it
so he could just step in. Rusty had a covered box for all of his 15
years
with me.

Winnie

Again, thanks Deb!

. )) -: :-
. . ))
Laurie
(( . ..
-: :- (( .

Old March 13th 11, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 12/03/2011 21:23, Debbie Wilson wrote:

How about a covered or high-sided litter tray? This worked for my two
old girls who do not aim very well.
For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Iris-CLH-12-Op...p/B002BDU8EW/r
ef=pd_sim_k_2

I started using the lids on our litterboxes when Caliban suddenly
decided it was much more fun to pee standing up than sitting down (he's
a boy, after all). At least the lid catches it now instead of the wall.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Does anyone have any suggestions? \jordy\ Cat health & behaviour 13 July 14th 09 09:14 PM
Suggestions? Joy Cat anecdotes 11 February 5th 09 01:45 AM
Suggestions, Please! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 12 August 13th 06 11:35 PM
Any suggestions.. [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 4 March 9th 05 11:24 AM
Suggestions? Yoj Cat anecdotes 27 May 31st 04 08:52 AM