CAT LADY WANTED

Old July 13th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default CAT LADY WANTED

On Jul 13, 2:41*am, wrote:
Wayne Mitchell wrote:

* *"Jofirey" wrote:

* I'd like to see this thread die a natural death,

* ...whereas I find it one of the more interesting off-topic threads I've
* encountered here. *Different strokes.

Thank you for saying this. There are a lot of people who read and
contribute to this newsgroup, and not everything is going to interest
everyone. I kill a lot of threads myself, not because I have deep
negative feelings about them, but just because I'm not that interested,
and I spend a lot of time on the computer as it is.

One question that nobody ever answers is, "Why do you (whomever I may
happen to be asking) believe that you must read every article posted
here?" That seems to be the underlying belief behind some people's
apparent need to control what is posted here (or on any open-ended
online community.

If people post things that offend me, my response is to offer an
argument against it, or to let the poster know why I feel offended.
But it's not my usual style to ask the person to stop talking about
it. If people aren't interested in my point of view and continue
saying things that I find offensive, I kill the thread.

If a subject simply doesn't interest me, I kill it right away. I
spend too much time on the computer as it is. One of the benefits
of online conversation is that unlike in a live conversation, you
can completely ignore parts of it without being rude. Why not take
advantage of that and ignore the stuff you don't feel like reading,
instead of telling people who are interested to stop talking about
it?

I'm serious. I would really like to hear serious answers to that
question.

--
Joyce * ^..^

I don't read every single post, either; and many times I drop a thread
if I'm not
particuarly interested. Like someone else said recently, no one is the
Moderator/Grand Poopaw of any newsgroup. No one has the right to ask
anyone
to stop talking about a particular topic. Some have a newsreader with
the ability to
killfile. There's nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure with
a thread when you drop out either, IMO. (We all know Evelyn's
signature PLONK! :-)
I don't think that's what Jo was implying, though, when she said she
wished the thread would die a natural death. I've silently wished that
too about other threads, because I *don't* have the ability to
killfile a whole thread, and sometimes lack the
willpower not to look at a train wreck of a thread.
shrug This one I thought was interesting though.
We already have established taboo subjects, but that form of
censorship is okay with me. That part isn't any different from a
conversation in-real-life where you tactfully avoid certain topics
that you already know will end in an argument.
I can't see why this thread would offend anyone's sensibilities.
Everyone seems to be in agreement on the basic level, and the original
poster is probably long gone anyway.

I do't remember any poster ever being asked to drop a subject. Maybe
once, it seems I remember one about politics, but am not quite sure.
Have they?

Sherry
Old July 13th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 2:41 am, wrote:
Wayne Mitchell wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote:

[...]

***********************

I wasn't intending to tell everyone they must drop the subject. I
find it tiresome but, so what?

If it were attracting nut cases from outside the group it might be
different. Of if it were causing squabbling.

So if we are still on the subject, anyone else here enjoy "Wire in the
Blood" on BBC as much as I do?

Jo

Old July 14th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Sherry wrote:
[...]

I don't remember any poster ever being asked to drop a subject. Maybe
once, it seems I remember one about politics, but am not quite sure.
Have they?

Sherry

I think the prevailing tendency has been to simply begin posting
recipes, which was the standard treatment for trolls, when I first
started posting here.
Old July 14th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

We already have established taboo subjects, but that form of
censorship is okay with me. That part isn't any different from a
conversation in-real-life where you tactfully avoid certain topics
that you already know will end in an argument.

Other than specific cat-related taboos (such as advocating cruelty
or engaging in indoor vs. outdoor arguments), I'm not aware of any
other explicit taboos.

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I think the prevailing tendency has been to simply begin posting
recipes, which was the standard treatment for trolls, when I first
started posting here.

For trolls, yes. But for a regular poster who is posting on a subject
that doesn't interest you?

--
Joyce ^..^

Update on old lady cat ~Echo~ Cat health & behaviour 2 April 8th 06 03:49 AM
cat lady Bridget Cat anecdotes 16 February 20th 06 05:13 PM
Cat Lady [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 June 12th 05 03:57 PM
Such a little lady O J Cat anecdotes 102 October 13th 04 03:04 AM
The Bag Lady O J Cat anecdotes 9 September 17th 04 12:39 PM