Scratching furniture is too fun

Old May 12th 05, 01:22 AM
Takayuki

Default Scratching furniture is too fun

tanada wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

What does a solid tabby look like? Jazz sure taught that
scratching post a lesson. One of the scratching posts I have is the
same type, but it looks brand new, because Betty prefers to use the
couch.

Finally!!!! A flaw in Betty's personality. I was thinking that she
wasn't a normal cat, but now she has proved that she can act like one.
Betty, I raise my paw to you.

I think that Betty is a pretty normal cat. She may like her lovins'
more than some other cats, but even that is not so extraordinary; all
kitties are made for lovin!

Betty has always scratched the furniture, and I've disapproved. But
to be honest, I've disapproved in silence - no squirting water, no
yelling, etc., so I haven't ever actually communicated to her that she
shouldn't scratch the furniture. I've given her alternatives, and
I've even tried showing her myself how to scratch them, but she
doesn't seem convinced.

I think Betty looks especially cute when she's scratching the sofa.
She puts all her weight into it, and her hips sway back and forth. It
looks like a dance, like she's doing the twist.

Old May 12th 05, 02:48 AM
Gennie

Takayuki wrote:

I think Betty looks especially cute when she's scratching the sofa.
She puts all her weight into it, and her hips sway back and forth.

It
looks like a dance, like she's doing the twist.

LOL! I know that dance!

I myself have "given" my sofa over to Marietta. After moving it away
from the wall one day to vacuum behind it I discovered she had shredded
the fabric away from part of the rear frame. Sigh! She loves to scratch
that sofa as well as her post and, happily for me, ignores the rest of
the furnishings.

Gennie

Old May 12th 05, 04:54 AM
Brad

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:22:34 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

tanada wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

Have you tried catnip on the scratching post and only on the
scratching post no where else in the house....??....sounds to me
though that you are squealing with delight watching her dance maybe
she thinks she is pleasing you........lol.....

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old May 12th 05, 06:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:22:34 -0400, Takayuki
yodeled:

tanada wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

I know, I am a terrible disciplinarian because I always think they
look so cute or funny when they're doing something they're not
supposed to be doing. Things that absolutely scandalize non-cat
people just crack me up. Mimi looked like a tiny fiend when she was
scratching the furniture, and I was just useless at trying to get her
to stop.

Theresa
Old May 12th 05, 07:10 PM
Mognusticat

Hi,

I find that a quick stare and hiss from the back of the throat in my
direction works. Scares the wits out of me! As soon as the message gets
through a little love immediately afterwards is appreciated

Uses cat language to contain a cat problem and does not require a water
pistol to be at hand!

Mognusticat

http://mogular.blogspot.com

Old May 13th 05, 01:11 AM
Takayuki

"Gennie" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:
It looks like a dance, like she's doing the twist.

LOL! I know that dance!

I myself have "given" my sofa over to Marietta. After moving it away
from the wall one day to vacuum behind it I discovered she had shredded
the fabric away from part of the rear frame. Sigh! She loves to scratch
that sofa as well as her post and, happily for me, ignores the rest of
the furnishings.

Do you mean that you know how to do the twist, or you've seen cats do
the stretchy twist?

Old May 13th 05, 01:13 AM
Takayuki

Brad wrote:

Have you tried catnip on the scratching post and only on the
scratching post no where else in the house....??....sounds to me
though that you are squealing with delight watching her dance maybe
she thinks she is pleasing you........lol.....

When I've done that, the most it can do is make Betty rub her face
against the scratching post. It's especially funny to watch when it's
done to a sisal post, because she gets annoyed by the scratchiness of
the sisal, but is overcome by the catnip and can't resist.

Old May 13th 05, 04:34 AM
Brad

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:10:39 +0100, "Mognusticat"
wrote:

Hi,

I find that a quick stare and hiss from the back of the throat in my
direction works. Scares the wits out of me! As soon as the message gets
through a little love immediately afterwards is appreciated

Uses cat language to contain a cat problem and does not require a water
pistol to be at hand!

Mognusticat

And that would be because spraying them is a viscious thing and you
scaring the life out of them with your terrifying scream is a good
thing.....??.....although I do remember a woman whose stare did scare
the hell out of me......