whats the best furniture for standing up to cat claws?

Old June 19th 05, 06:01 PM
Mary

"Spot" wrote in message
news:Pzfte.8316$EH1.4341@trndny03...
I found that my cats won't even get onto my leather couch unless it is
covered with a blanket. Now the dog just loves it so I do keep a blanket

on
the seat and one thrown over the back. We've had it for almost 3 years

now
and I have maybe 3 tiny scratches that I have found so far. If I had my

way
all my furniture would be leather. It just stands up better.

And throws are so fashionable now, you could get one of those
to jazz it up. If you care about such things.

Old June 19th 05, 06:04 PM
Mary

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary wrote:
Rob--my heavy couch scratchers quit after I bought them the
Alpine Scratcher. I have several. The cats like it better as it is on
a slant. It is $10-15 bucks at Petsmart or you can get it he

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

My cats love their Alpine Scratcher! You can get replacement pads for
it too.

Also, if you can't get to a place that sells them you can buy a regular
flat one that all the groceries and KMARTs sell, and use packing
tape to secure it to the top. They are wider, too.

Old June 19th 05, 06:55 PM

RobR wrote:
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Draylon! Had two suites in this over the 17 yr period of having my
two cats, they loved it, gripped onto it and pulled themselves along
the bottom with that wide eyed mischievous look only cats have!!
There
were hardly any pull marks!! One of them sharpened his claws on the
corner, hardly showed, and they puked up on it and it wiped off with
a damp cloth and tiny bit washing up liquid, no stains!! Brilliant
stuff.

Old June 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-06-18 20:05:37 -0600, "RobR" said:

my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

I took the wimp's way out, but it suits my taste so I'll mention it: My
chairs and couches are all exposed wooden frames (think craftsman) with
removable cloth cushions. These would be scratchable, but they don't
offer that nice vertical face, or the horizontal
pull-yourself-along-the-floor possibility. Also, I can change the look
of the furniture easily by changing the covers of the cushions (though
I've been happy with what I have for 15 years). My scratching post is
the bottom post of my stair case. It goes floor to ceiling and I
wrapped it in sisal rope. The cats love the climb, and do a variety of
gymnastic dismounts from the top to the floor or to the first landing
of the stairs.

Old June 20th 05, 03:21 AM
Spot

Well if it's in fashion now then I'd have to say mine would be Called - What
Ever You Pull Out Of The Closet Style..............LOL

Celeste

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1119200516.e5c3c7cda4d6206f34b39b3a204a8cc8@t eranews...

Old June 20th 05, 03:42 AM
IBen Getiner

RobR wrote:
my wife cant stand my left over bachelor looking black leather stuff,
and while the cats havent pierced it, its pretty scratched up. she's
wondering about microfiber, but the stuff im familiar with would
get destroyed in two seconds.

Why not just get them declawed? They'll never miss them and you'll
never be happier. Barring that, all I can suggest is Concrete
furniture.

IBen

Old June 20th 05, 03:49 AM
Mary

"Spot" wrote in message
newsKpte.15134$Nx1.3990@trndny05...
Well if it's in fashion now then I'd have to say mine would be Called -

What
Ever You Pull Out Of The Closet Style..............LOL

Me too. Nothing I have is in fashion.

Celeste

Old June 20th 05, 04:35 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-20, IBen Getiner penned:

Why not just get them declawed? They'll never miss them and you'll
never be happier.

You scare me.

Yes, of course they will miss them. Would you miss it if the first
knuckle of all of your fingers were amputated? Gee, I wonder.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 20th 05, 05:02 AM

Mary wrote:

And throws are so fashionable now, you could get one of those
to jazz it up. If you care about such things.

I got a catalogue in the mail recently called "Slipcovers By Mail". I
was really surprised at how much better than look than they used
to...some are really attractive and I thought when I was looking how
nice it would be for someone worried about their couches/chairs. I
imagine they probably have a website.

Sherry

Scratching furniture is too fun Takayuki Cat anecdotes 7 May 13th 05 04:34 AM
Scratching furniture B G Cat health & behaviour 26 July 15th 04 12:05 PM
Lounge furniture KC Cats - misc 8 May 25th 04 11:15 AM
Cats and New Furniture Gizela Cat anecdotes 5 October 11th 03 01:11 PM
cat scratching furniture [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 19 July 16th 03 11:53 PM