Spicey dislikes Legos

Old November 5th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Spicey dislikes Legos

I have a couple of Lego blocks on my desk that I fiddle with during long
conference calls.

When Spicey gets up on my lap though, they sometimes catch her eye, and she
just summarily slaps them off the desk as though they'd offended her. If I
pick up the blocks and put them back on the desk, she'll knock them off
again and give a satisfied purr.

I'm not sure what it is about Legos particularly that sets her off, but
nowadays, when Spicey comes to visit me, I make a point of pointing out the
Lego blocks on the desk.
Old November 5th 15, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:25:19 -0500, Takayuki wrote:

I have a couple of Lego blocks on my desk that I fiddle with during long
conference calls.

When Spicey gets up on my lap though, they sometimes catch her eye, and she
just summarily slaps them off the desk as though they'd offended her. If I
pick up the blocks and put them back on the desk, she'll knock them off
again and give a satisfied purr.

I'm not sure what it is about Legos particularly that sets her off, but
nowadays, when Spicey comes to visit me, I make a point of pointing out the
Lego blocks on the desk.

If you COULD ask her why she does it,
she'd likely tell you to mind your own business.

Old November 5th 15, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gennie[_2_]

Methinks she is actually training you to fetch!
Old November 5th 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
I have a couple of Lego blocks on my desk that I fiddle with during long
conference calls.

When Spicey gets up on my lap though, they sometimes catch her eye, and
she
just summarily slaps them off the desk as though they'd offended her. If I
pick up the blocks and put them back on the desk, she'll knock them off
again and give a satisfied purr.

I'm not sure what it is about Legos particularly that sets her off, but
nowadays, when Spicey comes to visit me, I make a point of pointing out
the
Lego blocks on the desk.

they are not important enough for her.

Now, since you are here, can you help Joyce with Roxy's pancreatis? I know
Spicey had it and she recovered. I think she is too shy to ask but I'm not.
I had a dog with it, but it's likely not the same.
So could you share your experience with Spicey, like her treatment?
and I know it isn't my place to do this, but I will anyway in the hope that
it helps Roxy.

Tweed

Old November 7th 15, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 22:36:19 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Now, since you are here, can you help Joyce with Roxy's pancreatis? I know
Spicey had it and she recovered. I think she is too shy to ask but I'm not.
I had a dog with it, but it's likely not the same.
So could you share your experience with Spicey, like her treatment?
and I know it isn't my place to do this, but I will anyway in the hope that
it helps Roxy.

Tweed

The best advice from Karen Chuplis, who's had a lot of experience with
Pearl.

I didn't think that Spicey would make it through her incident, but since
she's recovered, she's needed no special care, except that she has been
receiving a low dose prescription of insulin since then. The pancreatitis
seems to have exacerbated her diabetes.
Old November 8th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

not surprising, as the pancreas is involved. What treatment did Spicey get?
as Karen has not posted here for ages you are the best chance to help Joyce
with Roxy. Don't let her down. Well, I know you won't.
because its just the worst thing to have a cat that is likely to die and
someone knows something that might help and doesn't.
Tweed

Old November 9th 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Takayuki" wrote in message

The best advice from Karen Chuplis, who's had a lot of experience with
Pearl.

I didn't think that Spicey would make it through her incident, but since
she's recovered, she's needed no special care, except that she has been
receiving a low dose prescription of insulin since then. The pancreatitis
seems to have exacerbated her diabetes.

not surprising, as the pancreas is involved. What treatment did Spicey get?
as Karen has not posted here for ages you are the best chance to help Joyce
with Roxy. Don't let her down. Well, I know you won't.
because its just the worst thing to have a cat that is likely to die and
someone knows something that might help and doesn't.

Thanks to both of you! Roxy has a chronic type of pancreatitis, not the
life-threatening crisis type. I decided to switch vets for this, because
my other vet's office, although decent and reasonable, didn't have a lot
to offer in terms of treatment. All they suggested was that I give her
some prescription food. I have mixed feelings about it, because although
it is easier to digest, it has stuff like soy and corn, which aren't great
for cats.

So I took her to another vet which is a lot closer to where I live (a big
plus for Roxy, who *hates* the ride in the car), and they're holistic. This
doesn't mean that they won't use western medicine. They do a combination and
they use whatever treatment seems to work the best. So now Roxy is on some
herbal stuff for diarrhea (which seems to be working), as well as some
Chinese medicine. I don't know what it is, to be honest, but Roxy *hates*
it. It must taste pretty vile. Also I'm giving her some subq fluids because
she's somewhat dehydrated, probably from all the bouts of diarrhea.

Both vets explained that just because her pancreatic values are elevated,
that doesn't mean that pancreatitis is the primary disease. It could have
come about as a result of something else, like irritable bowel syndrome.
For now, I'm going to continue treating it and see if she gets better on
her own. But if she doesn't, then she'll be getting an ultrasound to see
if something else is going on.

She does look a *little* better. Nothing drastic, but she seems more
comfortable, her eyes are clearer, and she's more alert. She had a followup
visit this past Saturday (10 days after the initial visit), and the vet
seemed pleased with how she's doing. She hasn't lost any more weight,
either.

BTW, Karen Chuplis is very active on the Facebook group. I posted there,
too, and she suggested some sites I should go to for info. Kristi responded,
too.

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King
Old November 11th 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
So I took her to another vet which is a lot closer to where I live (a big

plus for Roxy, who *hates* the ride in the car), and they're holistic.
This
doesn't mean that they won't use western medicine. They do a combination
and
they use whatever treatment seems to work the best. So now Roxy is on some
herbal stuff for diarrhea (which seems to be working), as well as some
Chinese medicine.

Please don't go down the herbal and Chinese medicine route for pancreatis,
it can be life-threatening. stop messing about with swapping vets.
I do have to travel a bit to my vets because they moved from near me.
There are some nearer ones but don't offer a 24/7, 365/12 service. And my
vets are expensive, of course because of that and all the facilities they
have.
So when Boyfie arrived back at midnight with his intestines out, I
I phone the vet immediately. Trouble was I could hardly speak because I
was in such a panic. I simply could not breathe. They got the gist of it
and I scooped him up. Avoided police cars "why are you out at this time of
night?"
I got him there and he was saved by a 2 a.m. operation.
OK, it does cost a lot but what would I have done without a 24/7 vet?
Boyfie would have been dead.

Tweed

Old November 11th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Please don't go down the herbal and Chinese medicine route for pancreatis,
it can be life-threatening.

Why do you say that? The anti-diarrhea meds are working. I don't know about
the Chinese medicine, though, because she hates it so much and I kind of hate
to give it to her. So I might stop that, and ask them if there's anything
else they might recommend.

Roxy's pancreatitis is chronic, not acute. And it's quite possible that the
elevated pancreatic values are from another problem, such as irritable bowel
syndrome.

stop messing about with swapping vets.

This is the first time I've switched vets in years. I wanted to have a
greater focus on treatment. These folks come very highly recommended, and
in fact, the saved the life of my friend's dog, who was on the verge of
dying of pancreatitis. So I think they probably know what they're doing
when it comes to treating that disease.

Also, I plan to keep taking Licky to the first vet, for as long as his
health care is routine rather than for an illness (and if the first vet
can take care of that, I'll still stick with them).

Joyce
Old November 13th 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Please don't go down the herbal and Chinese medicine route for
pancreatis,
it can be life-threatening.

Why do you say that? The anti-diarrhea meds are working. I don't know
about
the Chinese medicine, though, because she hates it so much and I kind of
hate
to give it to her. So I might stop that, and ask them if there's anything
else they might recommend.

Roxy's pancreatitis is chronic, not acute. And it's quite possible that
the
elevated pancreatic values are from another problem, such as irritable
bowel
syndrome.

Well, maybe so, I'm not a vet, but I advise you not to try to cure
pancreatis (or anything else) with Chinese Herbs.
If Roxy has irritable bowel syndrome, has she? your vet will advise you how
to feed her. IMO Chinese Herbs are at best a rip off.
Tweed

Day with Spicey Takayuki Cat anecdotes 5 November 12th 12 05:06 AM
When I first met Spicey Takayuki Cat anecdotes 1 November 7th 12 11:37 PM
It's Spicey every day Takayuki Cat anecdotes 11 October 9th 12 08:48 PM
Where's Spicey? Joy Cat anecdotes 1 October 8th 12 11:23 PM
I think my cat dislikes my baby [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 2 March 14th 08 01:34 PM