Urgent: Leukemia positive stray--have to make a quick decision

Old January 12th 04, 11:04 PM
Chris

Default Urgent: Leukemia positive stray--have to make a quick decision

Brought in a neutered 2-3 year old male stray that I've been feeding for the
past 1 1/2 years because of extreme cold here in NY.... Took him to vet for
checkup today & he tested positive on Elissa test (in vets office). Am not
sure if he ever got shots though rescue group I took him to for neutering
told me he had been tested & give shots--I have no way of verifying.

He has never appeared sick & is in all other ways very healthy. I also
think I have a home lined up.

Now I'm faced with more dismal decision. I don't know whether to get the
IFA ? test--could Elissa give false positive? I have to decide really
quickly as I have 4 other cats. Right now, Big Boy is isolated in one of my
baths & I have been very careful about washing my hands, etc... but I can't
keep him there too long--he is very sociable (though he did freak out in
vet's office!) and I know its real lonely & scary for him in there. He is
eating fine, uses litter box, etc. but basically stays in large carrier
(door off-he can go out if he wants).

I know this subject has been discussed before but I cannot find old posts so
I apologize for asking again. Any and all suggestions would be more than
gratefully accepted--time, however, is of the essence. Thanks.

Old January 12th 04, 11:18 PM

Do the IFA. Elisas DO give false positives. In the meantime, don't worry
about him being in your house as long as he is separated. Your cats
won't get leukemia from you walking in and out of the room. It takes
prolonged, close contact between cats to contract it. If this cat has a
home lined up where he is the only cat, there is no reason he can't
still be adopted if he does test positive. Sometimes cats that test
positive will actually clear the virus and test negative at a later
date. Other cats can live a long time with Leukemia, and some have been
known to only be carriers and live a regular life span. Since this cat
is healthy, I would give him every opportunity to have happy life in a
home somewhere where he will be loved and cared for.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 13th 04, 12:54 AM

Brandy wrote:
snip clear proof that she didn't bother to read or comprehend the OP's
dilemma

Chris, please ignore what Brandy had to say. She is generally clueless
when it comes to cats and is consistently guilty of inattention and
failure to comprehend what people are saying. It is clear from her post
that she assumes you adopted the cat from a shelter and have the option
of returning it, which you and I know is not the case. There is another
poster here named Mary that took in a Leukemia positive cat that
eventually tested negative and has cleared the virus. Hopefully she'll
post her experience.

Old January 13th 04, 01:39 AM
Chris

Well, I decided since my post to take him for the IFA test; talk to a vet
tech I know... I have not been able to find rescue group that takes in +
cat--unfortunately, he is not a kitten, is going to need some time to get
acclimated to 'living with people" & in all fairness, I know that there are
many others like him out there..... My keeping him is not an option as am
in apt. w 4 cats & it would really be impossible to adequately protect the
other guys. I really picked him up spur of the moment in cold weather as I
just didn't think he looked like he was ever going to ever warm up & I knew
he wouldn't have made it through the week..... He's not that old and this
would have been the coldest winter he's ever faced. His old 'safe sleeping'
place was taken away by a rather nasty person who barricaded Big Boy's
entrance to a crawl space under a house soooo..... The possibility of a
permanent home came up after I picked him up but they wouldn't take him if
he is really +--- Am hoping for the best with IFA test--dardnest thing is
that he is otherwise so healthy! & trying so hard to be friendly... For a
long time he was 'hand shy'--you could practically step on him (& many a
time I tripped over him) but he would be petrified if you so much as moved
your hand towards him.... I think there was probably some bad history
there.... Now however, he just wants you to pet him & spend time with
him.... For the moment he seems content in bathroom--uses the litter box &
eats fine.... but I know he's scared & lonely so I just can't see to
keeping him living like that for too long....

I appreciate all suggestions--will let you know how IFA test goes--anything
specific I should be asking vet about test results?

Old January 13th 04, 01:40 AM
Mary

Now I'm faced with more dismal decision. I don't know whether to get the
IFA ? test--could Elissa give false positive?

Keep the other cat separated, get the IFA test. Another thing to consider is
that 1/3 of cats who are FLV+ can clear the virus, especially if taken in off
the streets and given proper care and nutrition. 1/3 will just test positive
for their entire lives but seem normal. 1/3 will die from it. Generally they
die within 2 years if not earlier. The FLV virus dies within three seconds
exposed to air. It's difficult to pass it from one cat to another unless there
is long term physical exposure, saliva to blood contact. I adopted a stray mom
cat with kittens. The kittens tested negative even after being with infected
mom for seven weeks, being cleaned by her, nursing off of her. She cleared the
virus a year later and is still doing great.

You could still adopt the cat out. Just let the woman know about FLV.

Old January 13th 04, 02:22 AM
Cheryl

Chris wrote in news on 12 Jan 2004:

I appreciate all suggestions--will let you know how IFA test
goes--anything specific I should be asking vet about test results?

Chris, I really feel for you because I can sense the compassion you have
for not only your own cats but for this unfortunate one. I have a positive
kitty and he doesn't act sick from the FeLV but he also has other issues
non-related (IBD). The FeLV certainly doesn't help the IBD and this is
what happens - the body isn't as able to deal with illness when the immune
system is compromised. I had such hopes that my kitty would retest
negative later (being an adult cat) but he is persistantly infected now
from a blood transfusion. I have 2 other cats who are being vaccinated.

If the situation was different and I took in a sick cat rather than have my
oldest and first infected, I'm not sure what I would have done. The one I
had at the same time that the oldest got infected was tested first when the
illness occured, and then 6 months later. He was still negative so testing
will only be done if he becomes ill, or if I'm feeling paranoid about it.
The newest cat is more prone as she was young when I took her in but she
was feral and no where else to go. Couldn't leave her outdoors and no one
would take her since she was so feral. No feral groups had room. She tested
negative when she was spayed and vaccinated for FeLV along with the other
shots.

As for a positive test: 1/3 chance to clear the virus, 1/3 chance to stay
positive but remain a carrier without any symptoms, and 1/3 chance to
become ill and succumb. This last can be years before it happens, and
especially if a good diet is fed and exposure to illness is kept low. IFA
test is the most reliable one and I'm glad you're going to have that one
done. Good luck to you and whatever you decide. Quite a bit of weight on
your shoulders with this one as I can tell it really is hurting you. Like
others have said, the risk to your cats with this one isolated is very low.

--
Cheryl

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.
Come here Squishy. Ow. Bad Squishy.
- Dori