another question-this time about getting a dog-thanks for the replies everyone

Old July 23rd 03, 09:42 PM
Sherry

Default another question-this time about getting a dog-thanks for the replies everyone

I have
tried to adopt one from a shelter but the woman told me that she
wasnted to put the cat in a household with another cat.

Good lord. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The shelter refused
adoption, just because it was going to be the "only" cat in the household? With
the surplus of kittens without homes at all, I *do not* agree with this. I
like it much better when kittens are adopted in pairs, too, but I'd never pass
over a loving home for that reason. (I'd pass on other reason, but not this
one)
Good luck
Sherry
Old July 24th 03, 05:17 AM
Sherry

I agree! I was shocked and I could see in this woman's face that she
knew she had made a mistake after she said that but she had a lot of
pride. I am at home all day and play with my cats all the time (my
previous cats who recently passed). We are also going to get a puppy
and we want to socialize them together.
What really made me mad is that she was talking about how the cat was
freaking out bc he had just lost all of his siblings to other
adoptions, so why the heck didnt she insist that they all be adopted
together!!!?? Ack!

I agree! I was shocked and I could see in this woman's face that she
knew she had made a mistake after she said that but she had a lot of
pride. I am at home all day and play with my cats all the time (my
previous cats who recently passed). We are also going to get a puppy
and we want to socialize them together.
What really made me mad is that she was talking about how the cat was
freaking out bc he had just lost all of his siblings to other
adoptions, so why the heck didnt she insist that they all be adopted
together!!!?? Ack!

Kate, it might be really helpful to the future of those cats in that shelter if
you made a phone call and spoke with the director, just telling him/her what
you've related here. Shelters are always understaffed, and sometimes those
"adoption counselers" can be poorly-trained volunteers. I am a board member for
our shelter, and I know the Board of Directors would be totally dismayed to
find out one of our cats missed out on a good home just because of a prideful
volunteer.

Sherry