Blind cat adoption tips?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 13th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default Blind cat adoption tips?

dear all
i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
therefore leave her alone?

I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
do people think?

sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
are.
cheers Bookie