Duffy's 3rd Adoption Anniversary

Old January 31st 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Duffy's 3rd Adoption Anniversary

Today is the 3rd anniversary of Duffy's adoption, and what happy years they
have been! Duffy is a true delight, a wonderful, bright, active, loving
little cat. While browsing through some files last week, I came across a
message I posted on Jan. 27, 2003 just after I had made the decision to
adopt. I am going to include the first part of that message here because it
shows what a remarkable change there has been in Duffy - and also the change
in Holly. I am really proud of her. She has been transformed from my "black
tornado" who hated all other cats to a kitty who has become a good companion
with Duffy and will often be seen in the lead in a sort of follow-the-leader
game.

The opening of that message was as follows: "Holly and I are getting a new
companion. His name is Duffy, and he is a special needs cat. I saw Duffy's
picture on Petfinder and noticed that he is blind. His picture just tugged
at my heart-strings. He had been at the shelter, adopted and kept for almost
two years, then returned. I called the shelter and asked why he had been
returned to them. It seems that Duffy (even though blind) managed to get to
the woman's pet birds and killed one. I couldn't believe it! Wouldn't you
think that anyone with any sense at all would know to keep a cat separate
from birds?? Anyway, I made arrangements to see him; and when I did I was so
afraid that he would never be adopted. He looks so scruffy and unkempt and
thin. But he seems absolutely sweet and almost desperate for attention. He
stayed in my lap and head-butted me the whole time, often lifting his little
nose up to my face. So now I have a new adoptee. My one concern is for my
cat Holly. She is an 'only child' (7-1/2 years old) and is spoiled beyond
belief. So far, she has shown real dislike for other cats. However, I have
talked to Megan at great length about this, and she has been wonderful about
helping me with information. She and I both believe that this will work out
if I am very patient and take quite a long time before introducing them."

It is hard now to even imagine Duffy as the "scruffy and unkempt and thin"
kitty I described in that message. He is now a gorgeous cat. More important,
he is a wonderful cat, and I simply cannot imagine how anyone who had him
for two years could possibly have returned him to the shelter. Here are a
few photos that show Duffy's transformation.

Duffy at the shelter - before adoption:
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../103462732.jpg
Duffy at the desk - one year after adoption:
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../103457221.jpg
Duffy at play - climbing the Christmas tree (2 pics):
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../127799959.jpg
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../127799922.jpg
"Hanging out":
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../103462520.jpg
Follow the Leader - Holly and Duffy explo
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../127799745.jpg
Anniversary portrait of Duffy - photo taken last week:
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../127799877.jpg

MaryL

Old January 31st 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:
Today is the 3rd anniversary of Duffy's adoption, and what happy years they
have been! Duffy is a true delight, a wonderful, bright, active, loving
little cat.

Congratulations! You are both so lucky to have found each other. Duffy
is, indeed, a very gorgeous and special little catman. Give him an
adoption-day scritch from me!

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old January 31st 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:
Today is the 3rd anniversary of Duffy's adoption, and what happy years they

Congratulations!!! I can't believe it's been 3 years already.

Duffy at the shelter - before adoption:
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../103462732.jpg
Duffy at the desk - one year after adoption:
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL464.../103457221.jpg

What a difference love makes. Congratulations again!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 31st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

What a beautiful cat! Congratulations.

kili

Old January 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Happy Adoptaversary to a beloved cat,
Suz&Spicey

Old January 31st 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

I can understand how someone who didn't have experience with
special needs cats would be hesitant to adopt one. But, like
you, I can't get my head around anyone returning Duffy after
having him long enough to fall for him.

Your story is truly inspirational, Mary. I, for one, would have
much less hesitation about adopting or fostering a blind kitty
now that I've read your descriptions of how well Duffy can cope.

You're both special and deserve the love you give each other. I
hope you see many returns of this happy anniversary.

--

Wayne M.
Old January 31st 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message

I can understand how someone who didn't have experience with
special needs cats would be hesitant to adopt one. But, like
you, I can't get my head around anyone returning Duffy after
having him long enough to fall for him.

Your story is truly inspirational, Mary. I, for one, would have
much less hesitation about adopting or fostering a blind kitty
now that I've read your descriptions of how well Duffy can cope.

You're both special and deserve the love you give each other. I
hope you see many returns of this happy anniversary.

--

Wayne M.

Thank you very much! Your statement that you would have less hesitation now
about adopting or fostering a blind kitty is one of the reasons I post so
many messages about Duffy. He was my first special needs cat, and he truly
is an inspiration (just as you said!) and has brought me more pleasure than
I can describe.

MaryL

Old January 31st 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Your story is truly inspirational, Mary. I, for one, would have
much less hesitation about adopting or fostering a blind kitty
now that I've read your descriptions of how well Duffy can cope.

I am surprised you've only had him three years...that's less than we've
had Smokey! Like Smokey, he filled out wonderfully into a handsome boy
once he had a forever home.

I would have thought a blind cat would have struggled to adapt to a
large home and would have been sad, either not moving much or injuring
himself a lot. So knowing Duffy has been an educational experience for
me

--Fil