Hugo Katt news. Not so good.

Old November 20th 05, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Hugo Katt news. Not so good.

I expected the vet to phone about
medicine for Hugo Katt's
hyperthyroidism. He called - but the
news was bad. The last result from all
the tests had come. Hugo's test was
positive to FIP.

Let me make this a clear as possible:
THERE IS NO TEST FOR FIP. None. Zip. Zero. Nada.

The only way to definitively diagnose FIP is by way of analysis of
affected tissue which is nearly impossible to find unless your cat is
dead and undergoes a necropsy. It's more likely your cat was tested for
Corona Virus, which almost every cat that has been in a multi-cat or
shelter environment will test positive for.
In order to arrive at a diagnosis of FIP there are many factors that
have to be taken into account and many tests, including fluid analysis
and even then a true diagnosis of FIP is sketchy at best.

AFAIC your vet is doing what a lot of lazy vets do and instead of saying
"I don't know" it's easier to call it FIP and go home.

I didn't even know we have FIP in
Sweden. I have never ever heard of a cat
here that has got it. The vet said Hugo
might have had it from his birth.

Your vet clearly knows nothing about FIP as kittens DO NOT have FIP from
birth. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus (Fcov) and the mother's
milk contains antibodies that protect the kittens from Fcov. It is not
until after several weeks after birth and the antibodies wane that a
kitten can acquire Fcov, and then it will take even more time for the
virus to mutate into FIP.

The vet said that it is probably no use
to give Hugo any medication for the
hyperthyroidism.

Untreated hyperthyroidism may very well be what is making your cat sick,
and to tell you not to treat it is reprehensible and irresponsible.
Please find another vet ASAP and get a second opinion. Also read this
discussion which has good info in many of the posts:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...ver+FIP&rnum=1

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 20th 05, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lisa Katt wrote in message
I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's

hyperthyroidism.
He called - but the news was bad. The last result from all the tests had
come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.

I'm sorry about that Elisabet, I hope he can stay comfortable and happy for
as long as he has left.

Jeanette

Old November 20th 05, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Lisa Katt wrote:
I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's
hyperthyroidism. He called - but the news was bad. The last result
from all the tests had come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.
I didn't even know we have FIP in Sweden. I have never ever heard of
a cat here that has got it. The vet said Hugo might have had it from
his birth. Kittens can be infected by their mother before they are
born. Hugo's mother was a homeless cat. As Hugo has been strong and
healthy all his life it can have lain dormant until he now, at 16, is
getting weaker.
I think now that I am lucky to have only one cat. If there had been
more, they could have been infected too.
The vet said that it is probably no use to give Hugo any medication
for the hyperthyroidism. It is very unlikely to work on a FIP cat.
And Hugo hates being pilled, so he would be upset, two times a day,
and it is very bad for him to be stressed.
So that is that.
I will try to make his remaining time as comfortable as possible. He
sleeps a lot but I think he still likes to live. The vet thinks so
too.
Some of you wondered why Hugo had to stay 6 days in the hospital. He
was in a bad shape when I brought him in, very thin and dehydrated.
So he needed to be rehydrated for several days and generally looked
after. You could say he got a spa week.
Elisabet

I'm so sorry to read this, Elisabet, lots of purrs for Hugo to have lots of
quality time left.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 20th 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Adrian wrote:
Lisa Katt wrote:
I expected the vet to phone about medicine for Hugo Katt's
hyperthyroidism. He called - but the news was bad. The last result
from all the tests had come. Hugo's test was positive to FIP.

Many purrs for Hugo.

--Fil

Old November 20th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:07:25 +0100, "Lisa Katt"
wrote:

[...]

{{{{{Elisabet}}}}}}}

I am so sorry to hear this. It had to come as quite a shock for you.

Are you sure nothing can be done? Is there a second vet you could
call or consult, just to find out?

If not, may Hugo's remaining time be full of love.

Blessings,

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/