Clyde and the Blackbird

Old November 13th 05, 10:30 PM
Bev

Default Clyde and the Blackbird

It's fledgling time again and this morning the parent birds were shouting
warning cries when I let the cats out. The birds build in the most absurd
places. Their latest nest was in the orange tree at eye level and for some
reason the cats never discovered them.

I was eating breakfast when I heard the screaming - I knew one of the cats
had a fledgling. It was sitting at the bottom of the back steps and I
have never heard such a terrible noise from a small bird. Its alarmed
parents were doing wheelies overhead. Clyde sat beside the chick looking
wonderingly at it - seeemingly aghast at the noise. He must have found it
and brought it to the steps. He was obviously quite troubled at the
thought of touching anything so noisy.

Then I made a mistake. Instead of grabbing Clyde, I tried to grab the
bird. It wasn't much of a flier but evaded my clumsy paws easily. It
staggered into the air and flew into a clump of bushes pursued by a wildly
excited Clyde and two parent birds dive-bombing us all.

Clyde misjudged his prey and sprang on the wrong bush - I saw the fledgling
and grabbed it. The little fellow was completely unharmed and still
screaming its head off - it had an open yellow beak wide enough to swallow
the ocean.

I grabbed Clyde in the other hand and threw him inside.
The bird I tossed over the high fence skirting the neighbours' property.
Later I saw the parent birds on the job delivering beakfuls of worms.
Clyde's been locked inside ever since. Bonnie, thankfully, was out of
earshot, otherwise she would have joined in the skirmish.

I reckon fledglings are most susceptible the first day or so out of the
nest so I am going to have to keep a close eye on the fur brigade.

Bev

Old November 13th 05, 11:08 PM
Christina Websell

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

Birds versus cats I find extremely difficult ethically. Before my two cats
claimed me one of my interests was birdwatching in my garden. I fed the
birds daily but I cannot do that now because both Kitty & BF will catch them
and I don't feel inclined to set up such a trap for the birds.
It's a real loss to me and a sacrifice.

Tweed

Old November 14th 05, 02:25 AM
Bev

I know exactly what you mean Tweed, I always have a big conflict with my
bird-watching and the cats. I always give bread to the sparrows but never
nearby as it is an invitation to dinner for any cats. I am lucky that B &
C and FSP rarely catch birds.

Bev

Old November 14th 05, 08:54 AM
wafflycat

"Bev" wrote in message
I know exactly what you mean Tweed, I always have a big conflict with my
bird-watching and the cats. I always give bread to the sparrows but
never
nearby as it is an invitation to dinner for any cats. I am lucky that B
&
C and FSP rarely catch birds.

Bev

I have feeding stations in the willow tree at one end of the garden.
Alongside it is a large tree stump from a long dead apple tree. I put
various nuts, seeds, fruits & fat cakes on the stump and have the feeding
stations in the tree topped up. Have to say the felines catch very few
birds; their preferred prey is rodent ;-) Plus, in the colder weather, the
birds often *need* the stores of food put out in gardens.

Cheers, helen s

Old November 14th 05, 09:28 AM
Jeanette

Bev wrote in message
It's fledgling time again and this morning the parent birds were shouting
warning cries when I let the cats out. The birds build in the most

absurd
places. Their latest nest was in the orange tree at eye level and for

some
reason the cats never discovered them.

:-) I like to get stories from Down Under at this time of year, it's good to
know that it's Spring somewhere. Well done on rescuing the fledgeling.

Jeanette

Old November 14th 05, 09:29 AM
Jeanette

wafflycat wrote in message

"Bev" wrote in message
I know exactly what you mean Tweed, I always have a big conflict with my
bird-watching and the cats. I always give bread to the sparrows but
never
nearby as it is an invitation to dinner for any cats. I am lucky that

&
C and FSP rarely catch birds.

Bev

I have feeding stations in the willow tree at one end of the garden.
Alongside it is a large tree stump from a long dead apple tree. I put
various nuts, seeds, fruits & fat cakes on the stump and have the feeding
stations in the tree topped up. Have to say the felines catch very few
birds; their preferred prey is rodent ;-) Plus, in the colder weather, the
birds often *need* the stores of food put out in gardens.

Cheers, helen s

I agree with Helen. I put food out for the birds, which helps them raise
more chicks than my cats ever catch.

Jeanette

Old November 14th 05, 11:07 AM
Adrian

Jeanette wrote:
wafflycat wrote in message

"Bev" wrote in message
[...]

Also, I find by feeding the birds there are more pairs of eyes to spot
predators and raise the alarm. Baggy has lived here nearly two years now and
has caught about a dozen birds in that time, nearly all of them he caught
somewhere else and brought them home.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 14th 05, 05:26 PM

Christina Websell wrote:

Birds versus cats I find extremely difficult ethically. Before my two cats
claimed me one of my interests was birdwatching in my garden. I fed the
birds daily but I cannot do that now because both Kitty & BF will catch them
and I don't feel inclined to set up such a trap for the birds.
It's a real loss to me and a sacrifice.

Tweed

I have a large feeding station in the back yard. We get mostly finches
and little wrens and sparrows. Occasionally a cardinal. Further back I
put out a tray in a tree of peanut mix and get lots of Jays. I have
taken the birdhouses down because I caught Bootsie after one.
But you know, I have never known any of my cats to kill a bird. Maybe
they are just inept hunters.

Sherry

Old November 14th 05, 05:39 PM
Karen

wrote in message
ps.com...

Christina Websell wrote:

Birds versus cats I find extremely difficult ethically. Before my two

cats
claimed me one of my interests was birdwatching in my garden. I fed the
birds daily but I cannot do that now because both Kitty & BF will catch

them
and I don't feel inclined to set up such a trap for the birds.
It's a real loss to me and a sacrifice.

Tweed

I have a large feeding station in the back yard. We get mostly finches
and little wrens and sparrows. Occasionally a cardinal. Further back I
put out a tray in a tree of peanut mix and get lots of Jays. I have
taken the birdhouses down because I caught Bootsie after one.
But you know, I have never known any of my cats to kill a bird. Maybe
they are just inept hunters.

Sherry

Oddly enough, growing up we didn't have many birds brought to us either.
LOTS of grasshoppers and moths. THe occasional mouse. Wink just brought tons
of newspapers around and anything that fell off a clothes line. But not many
birds. I think they are harder than we think to catch.

Old November 14th 05, 08:06 PM
Marina

Karen wrote:

Oddly enough, growing up we didn't have many birds brought to us either.
LOTS of grasshoppers and moths. THe occasional mouse. Wink just brought tons
of newspapers around and anything that fell off a clothes line. But not many
birds. I think they are harder than we think to catch.

I think so too. Nikki would bring me 5-6 voles per *day* in her prime,
but only one or two birds during the whole summer. I think most cats are
only able to catch birds that are sick or weak. Young birds are probably
especially vulnerable.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi