Reminscining Right Now (Music) - OT

Old July 23rd 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Reminscining Right Now (Music) - OT

Last week (or so) there was a thread about what are you listening to. I
wasn't really listening to anything at the time. But just now some vague
memory triggered my wish to look up this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stj_F5VTTQ

Marc Cohn, 'Walking in Memphis'. No flashy videos or anything, although I'm
sure I could find one or two if I looked. I just wanted to hear the pure
music, not some live performance. This is the original recording.

Many other artists have covered 'Walking in Memphis' (the song deserves a
youtube search if you like it). It's a nostalgic song for me because I
lived in Memphis for nearly 35 years and recognize all of the places
mentioned in the song (except the Jungle Room in Graceland LOL)

I remember first hearing this song (in Memphis) on the radio in 1991

Jill

Old July 23rd 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Last week (or so) there was a thread about what are you listening to. I
wasn't really listening to anything at the time. But just now some vague
memory triggered my wish to look up this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stj_F5VTTQ

I can't believe you posted on this subject! Not about this song itself,
but about the subject in general. Because I just logged on to post about
a song I heard the other day on the radio, that caused great reminiscing.

The song is from the 80s - "Be Good Johnny" by Men at Work. (Not to
be confused with the old classic rock song "Johnny Be Good". ) This
wasn't one of Men at Work's big hits that we all remember and can still
hear, like "Down Under", etc. But that just makes the nostalgia all the
more potent. I don't believe I've heard this song a single time since
the mid-80s. I had completely forgotten about its existence. So when I
heard it the other day, it all came back. Naturally I had to go straight
to Youtube to hear it again (several times, actually).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKPzEGCYZI

(Warning: there's a bunch of other stuff on this video - the song
is about 3:30 minutes long, and this video is 7 minutes long. So only
half of it is the song, and the rest is... ??)

Joyce

--
I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old July 24th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
Last week (or so) there was a thread about what are you listening to. I
wasn't really listening to anything at the time. But just now some vague
memory triggered my wish to look up this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stj_F5VTTQ

Marc Cohn, 'Walking in Memphis'. No flashy videos or anything, although I'm
sure I could find one or two if I looked. I just wanted to hear the pure
music, not some live performance. This is the original recording.

Many other artists have covered 'Walking in Memphis' (the song deserves a
youtube search if you like it). It's a nostalgic song for me because I
lived in Memphis for nearly 35 years and recognize all of the places
mentioned in the song (except the Jungle Room in Graceland LOL)

I remember first hearing this song (in Memphis) on the radio in 1991

This song's almost too new to be nostalgic. I've always liked it,
although I could never make out what it was he was walking 10 feet off
of.

Let's see, as for songs that I find nostalgic... I can't think of any
at the moment. Oh, maybe "Earth Angel".
Old July 24th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

hopitus wrote:
On Jul 23, 5:34*pm, Takayuki wrote:
This song's almost too new to be nostalgic. *I've always liked it,
although I could never make out what it was he was walking 10 feet off
of.

Let's see, as for songs that I find nostalgic... *I can't think of any
at the moment. *Oh, maybe "Earth Angel".

Dude is "ten feet off of Beale" (main drag in Memphis) which I have
walked on,
but my feet *stayed* on the ground, as I was far more interested and
intrigued
by local BBQ offerings than the city's "Music Row", ditto in
Nashville. Some
visitors follow their ears...I follow my nose and stomach, LOL.

I should have known that - I used to live on a Beals Street.
Old July 24th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

hopitus wrote:
For tourist entertainment, not a major giggle. I wanna go to Tokyo
and hang in the district where all females dress like little girls,
etc.
Sleep in one of those horizontal box bed hotels. Take in the temples.
Maybe someday. Crowds don't bother me a bit, LOL.

Personally, I'd prefer to go to one of the many hot spring resorts.
Just lie in a natural outdoor mineral water bath all day, and get fed
rice wine and course after course of meals all evening.
Old July 24th 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 23, 5:17*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Last week (or so) there was a thread about what are you listening to. *I
wasn't really listening to anything at the time. *But just now some vague
memory triggered my wish to look up this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stj_F5VTTQ

Marc Cohn, 'Walking in Memphis'. *No flashy videos or anything, although I'm
sure I could find one or two if I looked. *I just wanted to hear the pure
music, not some live performance. *This is the original recording.

Many other artists have covered 'Walking in Memphis' (the song deserves a
youtube search if you like it). *It's a nostalgic song for me because I
lived in Memphis for nearly 35 years and recognize all of the places
mentioned in the song (except the Jungle Room in Graceland LOL)

I remember first hearing this song (in Memphis) on the radio in 1991

Jill

That's a great ballad. I bought the tape specifically for a road trip
to Memphis in 1995. So it's definitely a memory-trigger of the city
for me, too. (except I actually *did* visit the Jungle Room -- as
tacky and touristy
as it is, we thought it a shame to be so near to Graceland and not
pop in).
Almost every song I hear has a memory. I love music, my excesses know
no bounds when it comes to recorded music and I love creating my own
playlists for burning. Every day has a theme. Today's was "garage
bands of the 70's" Like, no self-respecting garage band would not have
had
"Smoke on the Water" as part of their reperitoir. Lots of Creedence--
particularly "Ramble Tamble"....Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain.
Great
music for about 40 minutes, then it gets on your nerves. :-)
I have CD's separated by month/year they appeared on the Top 40. That
would be like, July 1959, July 1960, July 1961, etc. through about
July 1988.
A friend sent me a CD with patriotic songs and marches. It was the
fourth of July soundtrack. The grandson really got his groove on with
those. I'm afraid this boy inherited his sense of rhythm from me, but
maybe he'll outgrow it. We marched and marched. (not easy when you're
55 and
your marching partner is 10 months & can't walk yet)
Soon I'll dig out my Gordon Lightfoot music to get pumped for a live
concert in August. (For anyone who doesn't know, he is an incredibly
talented and prolific Canadian folk singer/songwriter)
And I wonder why my dreams have soundtracks. Sometimes original
soundtracks.
sorry to babble Jill
And of course I am partial to the quote that loosely says, "THe only
respites
from the miseries of life are music and cats."
(If anyone has a longlost oldies favorite tune, just ask me. I bet I
can dig a copy of it up for you)

Sherry
Old July 24th 10, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

[...]

Sherry,

You've gotta get an iPod!

Joyce

PS - you just reminded me that I have to look for a Gordon Lightfoot
song that I haven't heard since the late 70s called ... hmm... "The
something Days of Summer". Or something. Does that ring a bell? A guy
dated back then *loved* that song and used to play it often, and then
I came to love it too. The only lyrics I remember are "And if you saw
him now/you'd wonder why..." (that's all I can remember). Off to Google.

--
I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old July 24th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

(you're 55 and
your marching partner is 10 months & can't walk yet)
What a joy, those are the "priceless" things in this life.

Old July 24th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

jmcquown wrote:
Last week (or so) there was a thread about what are you listening to. I
wasn't really listening to anything at the time. But just now some
vague memory triggered my wish to look up this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1stj_F5VTTQ

Marc Cohn, 'Walking in Memphis'. No flashy videos or anything, although
I'm sure I could find one or two if I looked. I just wanted to hear the
pure music, not some live performance. This is the original recording.

Many other artists have covered 'Walking in Memphis' (the song deserves
a youtube search if you like it). It's a nostalgic song for me because
I lived in Memphis for nearly 35 years and recognize all of the places
mentioned in the song (except the Jungle Room in Graceland LOL)

I remember first hearing this song (in Memphis) on the radio in 1991

Jill

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam S

Music (OT) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 May 8th 10 12:05 PM
Car Music? Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 51 March 8th 08 08:43 PM
More Music Fun jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 October 1st 06 06:06 PM
Cat music Clare M Cat community 0 March 20th 06 05:30 PM
Cat Music Mr Nangla Cat health & behaviour 10 February 9th 04 06:44 AM