(OT) Christmas at the dump

Old October 14th 05, 06:34 PM
---MIKE---

Default (OT) Christmas at the dump

My town dump has a recycling trailer where people leave things they no
longer want. Today I picked up TWO identical portable CD players. I
put on two new AA batteries, plugged in my own earphones and they both
worked - perfectly! Last summer I picked up a BRAND NEW digital watch -
still in the box and an electronic keyboard. I also found numerous
containers for flour, sugar, and coffee. I have never seen any cats
there however.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 15th 05, 08:11 AM
Kerry

---MIKE--- wrote:
I have never seen any cats
there however.

Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Old October 15th 05, 05:18 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:
My town dump has a recycling trailer where people leave things they no
longer want. Today I picked up TWO identical portable CD players. I
put on two new AA batteries, plugged in my own earphones and they both
worked - perfectly! Last summer I picked up a BRAND NEW digital watch -
still in the box and an electronic keyboard. I also found numerous
containers for flour, sugar, and coffee. I have never seen any cats
there however.

---MIKE---

Recycling is always a good thing! Too much stuff ends up in landfills.
We're such a throw-it-away society now. Americans just have too much
stuff.

Sherry

Old October 15th 05, 11:05 PM
Elizabeth Blake

wrote in message
ups.com...

---MIKE--- wrote:
My town dump has a recycling trailer where people leave things they no
longer want. Today I picked up TWO identical portable CD players. I
put on two new AA batteries, plugged in my own earphones and they both
worked - perfectly! Last summer I picked up a BRAND NEW digital watch -
still in the box and an electronic keyboard. I also found numerous
containers for flour, sugar, and coffee. I have never seen any cats
there however.

---MIKE---

Recycling is always a good thing! Too much stuff ends up in landfills.
We're such a throw-it-away society now. Americans just have too much
stuff.

Sherry

Check out http://www.freecycle.org/ . It started in Arizona by a guy who was
tired of throwing perfectly good stuff he no longer wanted/needed in the
trash. Now there are Freecycle lists all over the place. You can search to
see if there's one in your area. So far I've given away at least 50 CDs,
several bags of books, an old answering machine, drinking glasses, Christmas
decorations and more that would have just gone in the trash otherwise,
because I couldn't get rid of them anyplace else.

One thing I don't like about the lists (at least the local one I joined) is
that they allow pet postings. In the 3 months I've been on the list I've
seen a bunch of posts offering cats (and several birds). I just hope the
people who were giving away their cats met with anyone who was willing to
take them first. The way it works is the person who wants the stuff is
responsible for getting to the person giving it away. I bring most of my
stuff to my job, where I can leave it for easy pickup.

--
Liz