Dead baby possum in the road

Old September 7th 12, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Dead baby possum in the road

On 9/6/2012 9:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I do like hanging out in cemeteries

Oh good! We're not the only ones.

DH and I do like to wander about in cemeteries, the older the
better. Fascinating places...

The cemetaries on the West Coast don't compare with some of the older ones
in Massachusetts, where I grew up. Some of those are 4 centuries old. (I can
hear the Europeans snickering now. But Canadians and Aussies know what I
mean! Four centuries is old, right?)

Sure, it is for the US! Regardless, people have been buried on this
continent as long as there have been people living here. East coast,
west coast, all points in between.

Jill
Old September 7th 12, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message

--
Joyce

I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.

It's old to us Californians, too. I remember one year when we were driving
home from Lake Tahoe, we stopped by Bodie, an old ghost town. I wanted to
visit the cemetery, thinking we might find some humorous inscriptions, such
as the ones I've read about occasionally. Instead, we saw a very large
number of children's graves. Sometimes there were three or four children in
a family who had died within days of each other. There must have been some
terrible epidemic there. That kind of turned me off from visiting
cemeteries, although I do find the old headstones and monuments interesting.

Joy

Old September 7th 12, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Phoenix wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

I do like hanging out in cemeteries

Oh good! We're not the only ones.

DH and I do like to wander about in cemeteries, the older the
better. Fascinating places...

The cemetaries on the West Coast don't compare with some of the older ones
in Massachusetts, where I grew up. Some of those are 4 centuries old. (I can
hear the Europeans snickering now. But Canadians and Aussies know what I
mean! Four centuries is old, right?)

Sure, it is for the US! Regardless, people have been buried on this
continent as long as there have been people living here. East coast,
west coast, all points in between.

But the people who lived here before Europeans came didn't mark their
graves in the same way that we do now. At least, I have never seen an
ancient Native cemetary with engraved gravestones. Unfortunately, many
Native burial grounds have been paved over and had stuff built on them
like malls, etc.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old September 9th 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message

I suppose I could have buried it but my elbow just wasn't up to the
job of digging a deep hole. Besides, it wouldn't have helped the
possum who was beyond caring. I think I just want to be cremated and
not use up valuable land.

Valuable land! and here I was thinking you cared.

I think he was referring to his own burial, ie, to human cemetaries.
They do take up a lot of space. On the other hand, they are usually very
pleasant places to hang out in.

I like to bury all my beloved pets in my garden. All my dogs are here under
the trees.
Unfortunately, KFC was snatched and killed when I was in hospital. She was
cremated with all the other strays the vet had:-(
she only went out of the house to look for me when I was taken to hospital
as an emergency. She'd not gone out for at least two years.
Who was it that snatched her?
I will never get over this. She died without me beside her.

Old September 10th 12, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cemeteries (WAS: Dead baby possum in the road)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 9/6/2012 9:06 PM, Phoenix wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I do like hanging out in cemeteries

Oh good! We're not the only ones.

DH and I do like to wander about in cemeteries, the older the better.
Fascinating places...

Deborah
slave to Miss CCK

I'll never forget asking my mom to don a pair of boots and go traipsing
around an old cemetery back in TN. I think I was about 20 It was old,
overgrown, unkempt. Obviously no caretaker. If there was ever a church
it was long gone. The headstones dated back to the early 1800's, the
latest we could find was from around 1950. I was fascinated by the
inscriptions.

There's a *very* old cemetery here on the island where I live. This place
was originally an indigo and cotton plantation. The ruins of the mansion,
outbuildings (and yes, slave quarters) along with the cemetery are
maintained by a preservation society. Dates back to the 18th century.

I was more than surprised to discover that In Germany if no-one looks after
your grave for a number of years, the headstone will be gone and you are
toast.
When it was possible to get into the land between East & West Germany, of
the graves that were left, Nüle tended all the graves of babies and
children.
It's one of the reasons why I love her.
It's her birthday tomorrow, 9/11.

Tweed

OT Just relocated a kittke possum Kraut / Larry S. Cat anecdotes 8 October 17th 10 12:06 AM
I saw uh Possum Mosey =`^..^`= Cat community 16 April 24th 09 11:34 PM
Poor Possum dopekitty Cat anecdotes 1 November 16th 05 07:05 PM
OT - Playing 'possum' (american possum) Mishi Cat anecdotes 7 July 25th 05 05:45 PM
Baby foal Patrick is dead Pat Cat anecdotes 122 June 29th 04 08:17 PM