Cat Reality

Old September 10th 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Cat Reality

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

Yes, one of the reasons I have only cats is that cats are relatively low
maintenance compared to dogs.

Unless you have to give them medicine, get them into the cat carrier,
groom them, brush their teeth, etc. This things are all vastly easier
with dogs. (Well, OK, if your dog is a great dane, getting it into a
cat carrier would be much harder. )

Think of what you have to go through to pill a cat. I'm contrasting this
with the time I took care of a friend's dog, who was on daily medication.
I just stuck the pill into a cheese-bacon doggie treat and tossed it to
the dog, who would catch it in midair. And I don't think he even chewed
it, so he never tasted the pill.

--
Joyce

That's very true, especially about the difference in giving pills. It's a
snap to give a dog a pill.

Joy

Old September 10th 12, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I see these TV programmes (since I got Freeview) It's Me or The Dog where
Victoria Stillwell comes in to help.
It's often about dogs that are dirty in the house and it is always because
they are not taken out often enough to toilet themselves.
Have any of you seen these programmes?

I've seen that show, yes. She's great! She always finds out what's wrong,
and is able to tell people what they need to do to change the dog's behavior.
She really plays up the whole dominatrix angle, arriving with whip in hand,
looking severe. She's ready to show those dogs who's the alpha.

She did several shows in the US, too.

Another American show is "My Cat From Hell," which is similar, but with
the obvious exception. Problems often have to do with someone not liking
(or not being liked by) their spouse/partner's cat, among other things.
The "cat whisperer" is a guy named "Galaxy" and he looks like he works
in a coffeeshop, with piercings and tattoos all over the place, shaved
head, etc. The stories usually have a happy ending, with a much more
contented kitty.
--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old September 10th 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Bastette wrote:
Joy wrote:

Yes, one of the reasons I have only cats is that cats are relatively low
maintenance compared to dogs.

Unless you have to give them medicine, get them into the cat carrier,
groom them, brush their teeth, etc. This things are all vastly easier
with dogs. (Well, OK, if your dog is a great dane, getting it into a
cat carrier would be much harder. )

Think of what you have to go through to pill a cat. I'm contrasting this
with the time I took care of a friend's dog, who was on daily medication.
I just stuck the pill into a cheese-bacon doggie treat and tossed it to
the dog, who would catch it in midair. And I don't think he even chewed
it, so he never tasted the pill.

Pilling a cat can be easy if the pill is tasty :-) Kotyo has to take
Fortekor for his heart defect, and I was very worried when the vet
prescribed it because the last time I had to give him antibiotics in
pill form it was very difficult. But he scarfs down the heart pill like
it is a treat. I don't know what they've put in it to make it smell and
taste good, but I am very grateful that they've come up with a pill that
the little monster considers to be a tasty treat.

Pilling a cat can also be easy if the cat is a greedy little tuxedo
monster :-) When Kotyo was younger, I used to have the easiest time
giving him a pill. All I had to do was hide it in a bit of hotdog.
Unfortunately he's gotten too smart as he's gotten older, and that trick
no longer works. Either that, or he doesn't like Spanish hotdogs as much
as he used to like the Canadian ones :-).

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old September 10th 12, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

What worked with Tiger was to crush the pill and mix the powder with
some water from a human tuna can. He would "polish" the bowl!

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 10th 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

---MIKE--- wrote:
What worked with Tiger was to crush the pill and mix the powder with
some water from a human tuna can. He would "polish" the bowl!

---MIKE---

Did that work with really bitter antibiotics? I can't remember what kind
Kotyo was prescribed a few years ago, but it was very very bitter and
nothing could tempt him to take it. I tried crushing the pill and mixing
it with different kinds of food, but I couldn't fool him. I ended up
wrapping each pill in a bit of soft bread to cover up the taste,
covering it in butter so it wouldn't get stuck, and then sticking it
down Kotyo's throat. He was *not* a happy cat at the time... Luckily,
when he was sick earlier this year, the vet prescribed only liquid
antibiotics, which are *so* much easier to give.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old September 10th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Not hit the UK yet.
Tweed

Old September 10th 12, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Joy wrote:

That's very true, especially about the difference in giving pills. It's a
snap to give a dog a pill.

Joy

True! A friend of mine had a dog who required thyroid medication for
most of her (the dog's) life. She'd stick the pill in a bit of raw
meat, and Rascal gulped down the twice-a-day "treat" without any sign of
protest.
Old September 10th 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Nadia N. wrote:
Did that work with really bitter antibiotics? I can't remember what kind
Kotyo was prescribed a few years ago, but it was very very bitter and
nothing could tempt him to take it. I tried crushing the pill and mixing
it with different kinds of food, but I couldn't fool him. I ended up
wrapping each pill in a bit of soft bread to cover up the taste,
covering it in butter so it wouldn't get stuck, and then sticking it
down Kotyo's throat. He was *not* a happy cat at the time... Luckily,
when he was sick earlier this year, the vet prescribed only liquid
antibiotics, which are *so* much easier to give.

Not always - Whenever I've tried to give liquid medicine to my cats,
I've ended up with more of it all over me than gets down the cat's throat!
Old September 10th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Nadia N. wrote:
Did that work with really bitter antibiotics? I can't remember what kind
Kotyo was prescribed a few years ago, but it was very very bitter and
nothing could tempt him to take it. I tried crushing the pill and mixing
it with different kinds of food, but I couldn't fool him. I ended up
wrapping each pill in a bit of soft bread to cover up the taste, covering
it in butter so it wouldn't get stuck, and then sticking it down Kotyo's
throat. He was *not* a happy cat at the time... Luckily, when he was sick
earlier this year, the vet prescribed only liquid antibiotics, which are
*so* much easier to give.

Not always - Whenever I've tried to give liquid medicine to my cats, I've
ended up with more of it all over me than gets down the cat's throat!

I think it depends on the medicine, and on the cat. Fortunately, Lindy's
thyroid medicine apparently didn't taste bad to her, and it wasn't too
difficult to give it to her, after the initial chase.

Joy

Old September 10th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Joy wrote:

That's very true, especially about the difference in giving pills. It's
a snap to give a dog a pill.

Joy

True! A friend of mine had a dog who required thyroid medication for most
of her (the dog's) life. She'd stick the pill in a bit of raw meat, and
Rascal gulped down the twice-a-day "treat" without any sign of protest.

Yup. Grated cheese always worked well when I had a dog that needed a pill.

--
Joy

"I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by
it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes." - Edna
St. Vincent Millay