UPDATE 6: Jean Hobbs

Old June 29th 05, 02:11 PM
Yowie

Default UPDATE 6: Jean Hobbs

First off, Jean wishes to thank absolutley everyone for the wonderful cards
that are still coming in from all around the world. In particular, she'd
like to thank Tweed, who sent a card and some wonderful thoughts even whilst
dealing with her own serious health issues.

The good news is that Jean is still in good spirits and always prepared to
share a joke. She always asks how everyone is and takes great pains to make
sure everyone is OK and to catch up with the latest news before she starts
talking about herself. She was even sayign she was a bit concerned about
someone in another bed! Thats our Jean! And the chest is healing nicely.

Now for the not so good news. As you can guess, she's still in hospital. Its
the leg that they took the vein out of. Its very infected, to the point
where theres some dead spot that will have to be removed and plumped up with
tissue from elsewhere so it doesn't heal deformed. Its swollen to twice the
normal size, bright red, very hot and very very painful. They won't let her
go home until the infection is well under control, but she's going stir
crazy because there's nothing to do in hospital and she can't read a good
book because of all the other distrctions that go on in hospitals. She
really wants to go home, to see her beloved Wilson and just be back on her
own schedule and see the people she usually sees during the day. i think
she's also incredibly lonely in there, as she's a very social person who
loves nothing better than good natter (chat) and there's only so much you
can say to people still under heavy sedation like people are after open
heart surgery (the other people in her ward).

If any of you can spare the time and the cost, she'd probably love a
surprise phone call. She is a bit hard of hearing, and has a very strong
English accent, but if you can bear with her for a few minutes, I'm sure a
call from an RPCA person would make her day.

The phone number for the hospital is:

61 2 9382 2291, and she is in the Dickinson Building, South, level 3. We are
+10 hours GMT (evening and night in the USA), but if you ring at an
innappropriate hour, the hospital will let you know and won't put you
through.

Make sure you mention that you are from RPCA to her (she won't be expecting
it)

Yowie

Old June 29th 05, 02:18 PM
Charleen Welton

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Vicky, many thanks for the update. Prayers and purrs that the leg infection
responds to treatment soon so that she can go home.

Would you please send to me her hospital address. Thanks.
Charleen
ilikecats (at) cfl (dot) rr (dot) com

Old June 29th 05, 03:38 PM
Marina

Yowie wrote:

Now for the not so good news. As you can guess, she's still in hospital. Its
the leg that they took the vein out of. Its very infected, to the point
where theres some dead spot that will have to be removed and plumped up with
tissue from elsewhere so it doesn't heal deformed. Its swollen to twice the
normal size, bright red, very hot and very very painful.

Oww, this sounds very painful. I'm so sorry. I know she's had leg probs
due to diabetes, and this is potentially very serious for a diabetic. We
are sending many purrs that the infection can be stopped and the leg
heals completely.

--
Marina, Frank and Miranda. In loving memory of Nikki.
Old June 29th 05, 04:18 PM
Mary

"Yowie" wrote:

Make sure you mention that you are from RPCA to her (she won't be

expecting
it)

What a lovely thing to do for Jean.

Old June 29th 05, 04:51 PM

Yowie wrote:

Make sure you mention that you are from RPCA to her (she won't be expecting
it)

Yowie

Thanks for posting this, Yowie. Could I bother you to tell me what
would be an appropriate time to call? Like what is mid-morning, or
mid-afternoon there?

I know how Jean is feeling. I had the same thing happen with my left
leg. It started because I was allergic to the monofilament stitches
they used on the inside. On top of being horribly painful, it is so
disheartening and depressing to have your body revolt on you that way
when you're trying to do everything right and can't control what's
happening. I did get to go home though, and had the option of seeing a
wound clinic for debriding every other day or having a home health
wound care nurse visit.

Sherry

Old June 29th 05, 05:35 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article .com,
wrote:

Yowie wrote:

[...]

After my bypass, my leg also was the main source of pain. The incision
didn't actually break down, but hurt intensely for a month or two, and
occasionally for about 2 years. There's still one patch above my ankle
that has strange nerve function.

Probably not what she wants to hear, but, unfortunately, for many
patients, the leg is the worst part of bypass surgery -- and no one
tells you this. The cardiac surgery textbooks don't mention it,
probably because from their standpoint, getting the vein is fairly minor
surgery.

It is, but it also affects a great many skin pain receptors. I don't
know about hers, but my incision ran from a little above my knee to
above the ankle.
Old June 29th 05, 05:49 PM
Adrian

Yowie wrote:
snip
If any of you can spare the time and the cost, she'd probably love a
surprise phone call. She is a bit hard of hearing, and has a very
strong English accent, but if you can bear with her for a few
minutes, I'm sure a call from an RPCA person would make her day.

The phone number for the hospital is:

61 2 9382 2291, and she is in the Dickinson Building, South, level 3.
We are +10 hours GMT (evening and night in the USA), but if you ring
at an innappropriate hour, the hospital will let you know and won't
put you through.

Make sure you mention that you are from RPCA to her (she won't be
expecting it)

Yowie

Purrs for jean to have a speedy recovery and get back to Wilson ASAP.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 29th 05, 05:52 PM
Adrian

CatNipped wrote:
Yowie, could you post the address again please?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jean Hobbs
Bed 2 Coronary Care
Level 3 Dickinson Building
Prince of Wales Hospital
Barker Street
Randwick NSW 2031
AUSTRALIA

Old June 29th 05, 05:54 PM
CatNipped

"Adrian" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
Yowie, could you post the address again please?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jean Hobbs
Bed 2 Coronary Care
Level 3 Dickinson Building
Prince of Wales Hospital
Barker Street
Randwick NSW 2031
AUSTRALIA

Thanks Adrian!

Hugs,

CatNipped

UPDATE#: Jean Hobbs Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 June 21st 05 10:24 PM
UPDATE: Jean Hobbs Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 June 18th 05 10:30 AM
UPDATE2: Jean Hobbs Yowie Cat anecdotes 5 June 17th 05 05:30 PM
Is Jean Hobbs home yet? Irulan Cat anecdotes 4 June 16th 05 01:25 AM
Jean Hobbs in Hospital Yowie Cat anecdotes 21 June 13th 05 04:57 PM