Bossy Pants Humming Bird - OT

Old September 4th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Bossy Pants Humming Bird - OT

oldhickery asked:

We have Ruby Throats and Black
Chins, here...what do you have in NH?

Only Ruby Throats here. I enjoyed your slide show. Was that a
HummZinger feeder? I notice that they weren't using the perch. With
mine I added a closer perch on two sides which they seem to prefer. The
HZ doesn't get as much use as the big Perky Pet.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:13:24 -0500, "oldhickory"
wrote:

Thanks for the kind words... have a new male in the area--If I can get him
at the right angle it will be a nice photo up! The feeder is from Wild
Birds Unlimited. Somebody makes them for them, can't remember who...

Trying to scrub the mold out of the nooks and crannies in the big PP drove
me batty. I'll never go back to those...I've given them away. Sometimes they
perch, sometimes they don't. I've switched to those and the really small,
really cheap Perky Pet feeders that are intended for hanging baskets (about
$6) as both are quick and easy to clean, and, like I said, around here they
don't empty them fast enough to go with a big feeder. The ones from WBU are
also dishwasher safe and since we have fire ants down here, the built in ant
trap rocks! WBU also has some larger ones, same style, I just stick with the
small ones.
Cheers

Got this link from one of my sisters this morning. If you like
humming birds (who doesn't?) you'll love this one.

This is truly amazing. Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of
each page; there are 5 pages in all. A lady found a hummingbird nest
and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest. It took
24 days from birth to flight. Because you'll probably never in your
lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share. The photography is
wonderful!!

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

-bonbon

Old September 7th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

People who say you can't get too many hummbirds are wrong. I don't have
trees around my rented house and can only hang the feeders from my porch.
Yesterday, my son counted fifty nine birds trying to feed. I buy sugar by
the 50 poung bag as is. I love these birds, the cats don't, I am just
going to get a couple of more feeders to finish the summer. Wish someone
would design a truely big feeder that is posted in the ground.

Old September 7th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I would be lost without them. There is a small factory across from me and I
admit to showing off a bit. I take a small feeder, fill it, stand very
still and let the birds land on my hand to eat. As I don't see well, I am
always going out the door and running into one of them! I don't know who
gets startled the most!
"Matthew" wrote in message
I used to love having them around the cats went nuts when I did. What I
did was took an old coat rack with the extended arms and legs. I got it
from a thrift story for about $10.00. I buried the legs so it would not
topple over. The arms stuck out a good foot more than enough room for a
feeder to hang I had 6 feeders hanging from it. Since 2004 hurricanes I
never put it back up when it was blow over and some arms were broken. I
miss having those little sugar burners around.

Old September 7th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

We lost a lot this year with the heat and humidity. Scores of them were
found at a time dehydrated. I did my part!
"Matthew" wrote in message
I did the hand feeding thing before. the awe my cats showed that daddy had
fast blurry thing eating from his hand and they could not get at them thru
the glass in the Florida room. Every one would always come up to my hand
and check it out to see if I brought one in. I haven't seen them since the
hurricanes but we lost a lot of wildlife during them.

Old September 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Granby" wrote in message
I would be lost without them. There is a small factory across from me and
I admit to showing off a bit. I take a small feeder, fill it, stand very
still and let the birds land on my hand to eat. As I don't see well, I am
always going out the door and running into one of them! I don't know who
gets startled the most!

I'm guessing you. If you have been that active in feeding them, they can
get very demanding. We have had more than a few over the years that will
attack. Especially if the feeders need service.

Anyone that equated tiny with timid hasn't been around the little monsters.

I call them monsters, but I'm the one they buys and "cooks" the sugar water
and rigs the lines for the hangers to we don't have to climb to change them.
I use eye hooks and cleats to fix it so I can raise and lower the feeders to
people level. Charlie is the one with the patience to clean and sterilize
the feeders so they don't get moldy too soon.

We use PP feeders. I've got to remember to pick up some more yellow plastic
flowers.

Jo

Old September 7th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Yepper, they can reck those little flowers pretty fst sometime. I have the
kind where you just unscrew the bottle from the top with the handing piece
and fill. Yes, they get demanding, hitting the screen dor if I don't get
there fast enough. Will get Lee to tell you about the hummingbird and the
cat.