How do I know if he is reblocking?

Old October 14th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Default How do I know if he is reblocking?

I am absolutely paranoid since experiencing my first blockage with my cat
last weekend. He has been doing great. I just got home from work and the
first thing I do is go to the litter box. At that time, my other cat was
using it. So, when he was done, I cleaned it and there was two total pees in
it from the day. After a little bit, my little guy who was blocked used it
and he did not pee all that much, although it was not much less at all than
my healthy cat. There was no straining and he is no exhibiting any other
symptoms like he did last week. I would say that the pee in the litter box
amounted to about the size of a golf ball. Does this sound like he is
reblocking? You know, before he blocked, I never paid attention to the size
of the pees in the litter box, so now I don't know what is normal. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Old October 14th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I have never had a blocked kitty - thank God - but my 4 year old pees
twice a day an oval about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. He is on
canned food.

Old October 14th 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:67b9b159b8f0f@uwe...
[...]

Add a little salt to his diet- it will increase his water consumption and
won't hurt his blood pressure or kidneys.

Phil

Old October 14th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Phil P. wrote:

Add a little salt to his diet- it will increase his water consumption and
won't hurt his blood pressure or kidneys.

Phil

What?! Are you actually suggesting that he add salt
to the cat's diet just to be happy about the size of his
pees?

--tension

Old October 14th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"tension_on_the_wire" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil P. wrote:

Add a little salt to his diet- it will increase his water consumption

and
won't hurt his blood pressure or kidneys.

Phil

What?! Are you actually suggesting that he add salt
to the cat's diet just to be happy about the size of his
pees?

Yeah- That's right. The urine concentration of solutes- especilly
calculogenic crystalloids, depends on urine volume. The higher the urine
volume the more dilute the urine and the lower the risk of crystals forming.

Any more questions?

Old October 16th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

Phil P. wrote:
Yeah- That's right. The urine concentration of solutes- especilly
calculogenic crystalloids, depends on urine volume. The higher the urine
volume the more dilute the urine and the lower the risk of crystals forming.

Any more questions?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, indeed, I have more questions. First of all, are you a DVM?
I'll be much more reassured, though it wouldn't be necessary
if you can explain the mechanism sufficiently as you did.
I am aware of the value of diluting the urine to reduce
the precipitation factor of crystalloids, but this is not
generally a method for increasing water intake with
humans (including babies who like cats cannot be
told to drink more) and so my next question:

Second of all, I am very curious to know what it is about
a cat's physiology that would protect him from
hypertension and renal disease from too much salt
intake?

Third of all, is there really nothing that could be
added directly to the water to make it more palatable
to the cat without having to make him thirsty or
altering the balance of his fluids and
electrolytes?

Fourth of all, since you are asking for
questions, what is the most common
calculus composition in cats?

--tension

Old October 16th 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"tension_on_the_wire" wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
Yeah- That's right. The urine concentration of solutes- especilly
calculogenic crystalloids, depends on urine volume. The higher the urine
volume the more dilute the urine and the lower the risk of crystals

forming.

Any more questions?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, indeed, I have more questions.

It was a rhetorical question...

Seems like you have a lot of research to do...

Are you related to Treeline by any chance?