Update on cat pooping in house

Old November 7th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

Default Update on cat pooping in house

Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
because of his health issues.

One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
husband's emphysema.

Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
together.

I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.

cybercat wrote:
"Debbie" wrote

I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
past on how to deal with these issues.

Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.

What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
of flamey reactions.

Old November 7th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Debbie" wrote

I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.

Well, I am sorry for you and Tumbleweed. You know your husband, so
I won't bother speculating about his allergies or his motives in this.

Old November 7th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GWB

Couldn't he be an outdoor cat?
Beats the **** out of a shelter.
Old November 7th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
at his home because of the allergy excuse.

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

Read this URL and you will see why I don't like to let cats out:
http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/21/IN/US/1

GWB wrote:
Couldn't he be an outdoor cat?
Beats the **** out of a shelter.

Old November 7th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

My husband takes medication for his allergies but he was still
suffering. There were days when he felt like he had cat hairs under
his eyelids.

I did not know how much until this morning. He knew I loved the cat
and had liked the cat himself. Like I said before everyone's allergies
are different. You are not in our situation and have no business
criticizing.

Maybe you should ask you husband how he feels. I have a feeling he is
suffering silently so you can have the cats in the house like mine did.

Wendy wrote:
That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
at his home because of the allergy excuse.

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
"throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.

Wendy wrote:
That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
at his home because of the allergy excuse.

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

I'm not even going to waste my time with a reply to this. I said
before everyone's allergies are different. Maybe you'll end up with
chronic bronchitus like my co-worker did when she didn't want to give
up her cat despite her allergies.

I had planned to bring the cat home and try to work with him on the
pooping issue until my husband told me how bad his allergies had
gotten. I am upset that he never communicated this before. This is
NOT just an excuse I am using. I used to have cat allergies myself but
still lived with cats but my allergies weren't the same as my
husband's. He was taking Claritin so he could live with the cat but
still suffered.

Wendy wrote:
That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
at his home because of the allergy excuse.

oups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Debbie" wrote in message
ups.com...
My husband takes medication for his allergies but he was still
suffering. There were days when he felt like he had cat hairs under
his eyelids.

I did not know how much until this morning. He knew I loved the cat
and had liked the cat himself. Like I said before everyone's allergies
are different. You are not in our situation and have no business
criticizing.

Maybe you should ask you husband how he feels. I have a feeling he is
suffering silently so you can have the cats in the house like mine did.

Debbie, this is nonsense. There is *something* he can take that will address
his cat allergies. He has not even tried. Not even consulted with his
physician.

Come on, woman. He wants the cat out of the house because of the
inappropriate elimination.

The only reason you are getting **** from anyone is because it just hurts
to think about the cat getting returned. It is within your control to save
him
and give him a good home and you are choosing not to. It is you right, and
I am not flaming you for it, but it hurts to think about. It's nothing
personal.

Next time, just do it and don't tell us about it, but how can you tell us
and
demand nobody get upset? Half of us are allergic to cats and probably that
many have had cats with inappropriate elimination problems. Nobody here
fell of the f-ing turnip truck this morning.

If you care about this little cat, ask your husband to make an appointment
with his doctor to ask about other allergy medicines. There are MANY to
try.

Old November 7th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
"throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.

I just had my face in Boo, to whom I am most allergic. Found her
snuggled on a guest room bed and could not resist loving on her.
Despite Claritin my eyes are running, my face is itchy, and I have
a tickle in my throat and feel wheezy. I will wash my face and it
will go away.

It's a question of how much you love cats, I guess. My old doctor
suggested I get rid of my cats, and when I looked shocked he said,
"well then just don't REPLACE them." When I looked appalled he
said "what? They all die eventually, right?"

I have a new doctor now.

He is allergic to cats and has two.

lol

My kind of doctor.