Tastes Just Like Chicken?

Old September 20th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Tastes Just Like Chicken?

Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage. Maybe about a teenager-
sized one. I don't get
too close to it because I feel bad enough and just don't want a
closeup view.

Since this is definitely a man-job, I call DH to dispose of it, while
I watched from the door.
I said, "Can you tell what it died from?"

He goes, "Ummmm....not having a head."

I guess one of the cats (cough Bootsie cough) did it. It was either
her or Frank. They both like
to go out in the garage when it's raining and they can't go outside.

I really hate it when they kill stuff, but I'm sure that was the
highlight of their day.

Sherry
Old September 20th 09, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Sherry" wrote
| Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage.
snip
| I really hate it when they kill stuff

So don't waste it. Cook it up and see if it does taste like chicken!

Old September 20th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 19, 11:53*pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote
| Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage.
snip
| I really hate it when they kill stuff

So don't waste it. Cook it up and see if it does taste like chicken!

Oh, man! There's no way I could do that. Besides, he was about as
fat as a Husky pencil.
How is Billy?

Sherry
Old September 20th 09, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Sherry" wrote
On Sep 19, 11:53 pm, "Pat" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote
| Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage.
snip
| I really hate it when they kill stuff

So don't waste it. Cook it up and see if it does taste like chicken!

Oh, man! There's no way I could do that. Besides, he was
about as fat as a Husky pencil.
How is Billy?

Better. He sure hates his medication tho.

I'm wondering if there's a better and cheaper dry food I could get for him.
Any ideas?

Old September 20th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 20, 12:46*am, "Pat" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote
On Sep 19, 11:53 pm, "Pat" wrote:

"Sherry" wrote
| Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage.
snip
| I really hate it when they kill stuff

So don't waste it. Cook it up and see if it does taste like chicken!
Oh, man! There's no way I could do that. Besides, he was
about as fat as a Husky pencil.
How is Billy?

Better. He sure hates his medication tho.

I'm wondering if there's a better and cheaper dry food I could get for him.
Any ideas?

Gosh, I don't know. I just assumed he was prescribed the canned S/D.
Is there
a dry version of it?
This happened to Tom, the cat that my son ended up with when he
neighbor
passed away. I think he was much worse off than Billy, as he had to be
catharized, hospitalized, then catharized once again before he could
come home. I did some research on FUS at the time, but don't know if I
retained much of the info. Here's some things I do remember:
You can add DL-Methionine to the diet; it's the acidifier that's
present in
regular FUS diet cat food. Antibiotics will sometimes get them over
the hump
before catharization becomes necessary -- but you already know that;
sounds
like that's what Billy got.
FUS cats benefit from distilled water, and plenty of it. They
recommended to
Cody to put water out in new and different dishes, in different areas.
The novelty
supposedly would make him drink more and that's the goal.
As far as cat food, I know that the cat has to produce an acidic
urine, so magnesium
levels must be low. Dry food is higher in ash, which isn't ideal for
the cat prone to
UT problems.
He told us there was a study using glucosamine/chonoidrin on cats with
urinary
history. The vet didn't promise it would help but he did say it
wouldn't hurt. You
could probably find some stuff about this on the internet. I don't
remember exactly
*why* it was supposed to be helpful.
I'd be kind of leery about changing his food for a while. The reason
he's
getting SD s/d is because any remaining crystals will dissolve if he's
eating a cat food that makes him produce a more acid urine. But
there's another
type of crystal, and all bets are off on that deal -- I understand the
acidic-diet
method doesn't work on the other kind.
One really wacky thing I have read is just *smelling* food cuases a
cat's urine
pH to change, and it suggested not leaving food at out all times.
(easier
said than done, and darn near impossible in a multicat household).

Longwinded post, and it probably didn't make much sense. I did
research FUS
quite a bit at that time, but luckily Tom never got blocked again.
He's still on
the science diet.

Lots of websites really tout the natural raw diet, which makes sense.
It seems
difficult to figure out, and obviously takes a lot of work and
dedication. But I
would guess *that* would be far more expensive than S/D.

Have you perused petfooddirect for other prescription foods
specifically for
feline FUS?

Hope it's a one-time thing for him and he recovers quickly.

Have they ever had a fountain, such as Drinkwell? They *really* make
Yoda suck
up water. we bought it especially for him; he doesn't have urinary
tract problems
but his kidney function was described a couple months ago as "not so
good."

Sherry

Sherry
Old September 20th 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

and you know i kinda figure its really good for nature and the gene pool, as
DH says, any mouse that enters this house is
A, wanting to end it all or
B so weak in the DNA department that it being unable to participate in
continueing the species is probably a good thing for the species,

Old September 20th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

This was a bull snake but, the same line of thought applies. In you case,
not so calmly I am sure.

Old September 20th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Sherry" wrote
| Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage.
snip
| I really hate it when they kill stuff

So don't waste it. Cook it up and see if it does taste like chicken!

Next time I see roadkill, I'll think of you... Maybe I'll ship it your
way?

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old September 20th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Sherry" wrote in message
Today I found a dead bullsnake in the garage. Maybe about a teenager-
sized one. I don't get
too close to it because I feel bad enough and just don't want a
closeup view.

Since this is definitely a man-job, I call DH to dispose of it, while
I watched from the door.
I said, "Can you tell what it died from?"

He goes, "Ummmm....not having a head."

I guess one of the cats (cough Bootsie cough) did it. It was either
her or Frank. They both like
to go out in the garage when it's raining and they can't go outside.

I really hate it when they kill stuff, but I'm sure that was the
highlight of their day.

Sherry

Every cat I've had has brought a live snake into the house. I have a snake
phobia, I started shaking just reading your post. I pay a neighborhood kid
$5.00 for snake removal.

It was pretty funny though, the way your husband described the cause of
death "not having a head". That's actually a delicate way to put it.

And knowing the probable culprit, you don't have to go around smelling for
snake breath.
Karla

Old September 20th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote

| Next time I see roadkill, I'll think of you... Maybe I'll ship it your
| way?

If you're in Idaho, please send sage grouse!