Earthquake in LA!

Old August 4th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Earthquake in LA!

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:08:47 -0700, Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" ...

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
Yup. We're still waiting. Now they're saying some time in the
next 30 years.

I prefer earthquakes to tornadoes. I just stay put until it
stops, which is usually in much less than a minute. By the time
you have a chance to get scared, it's all over. I hate the idea
of hiding in a cellar. I'm somewhat claustrophobic, and I'd be
more afraid of being
trapped than of the tornado. I suspect most of us feel safest
with what we're used to.

Joy
Washington State is 'supposed' to be due for a 'big one' too,
bigger than the 6.8 in 2000. That one scared the crap out of me.
I'd rather
have a tornado, if given the choice, but living in a 'mobile home'
there is no place to hide.
Oh well, can't worry about something we have no control over. We
have 4 active but dormant volcanos here and I can see one of them
from my livingroom window. Hugs
Kyla
Well, LA has earthquakes, but at least there are no active
volcanoes in
the vicinity! (Of course, Mt. St. Helens wasn't exactly regarded
as "active" until the last time it erupted, either, was it?)
LA has the La Brea Tar Pits however, right? Mt. St. Helens May 17,
1980. Wow, what an event that was. A bright deadly Sunday morning.
Kyla

Of course, the cheesy 1997 disaster movie _Volcano_ had the volcanic
vent open up directly beneath the La Brea Tar Pits.

Actually, I think that's a scientific impossibility. Tar is related
to petroleum, isn't it? Not to lava? (Petroleoum may produce
"gushers", but that's not quite the same as a volcanic explosion.)

Yes, but it is hot tar, isn't it - kept hot by what? Volcanic vents
(similar to those deep underwater)?

"Hot"? I don't think so - certainly not the tar one acquires on one's
bare feet at the beach. SFAIK, the animals weren't trapped because it
was hot, just because it was deep and very hard to get out of - like
quicksand.

Crude oil is a mix of many different chemicals, and the exact mix
determines how viscous (sticky) it is. The refining process consists in
large part of separating these different chemicals. The tar used for
paving is made from the chemicals with the highest boiling point, so that
the mix is virtually solid at room temperature. The "tar" in the La Brea
Tar Pits has mostly the high-boiling point components, so that it comes
out of the ground as a thick, sticky liquid and then solidifies as the
more volatile chemicals in the mix evaporate. Think of the tar pits as a
spring oozing out oil, rather than water. Rainwater sometimes
accumulates on top of the tar; animals that waded out into the mess
trying to get a drink were likely to get mired and sink into the tar
until they drowned and/or suffocated.

While it is theoretically possible that a volcano could open up
underneath the tar pits (it is theoretically possible for a volcano to
pop up anywhere on Earth), it is highly unlikely, given that there no
current sign of volcanic activity anywhere in that area. There are
active volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest, and currently-inactive
volcanoes in New Mexico.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old August 4th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

hopitus wrote:

Well, John did say "cheesy" movie, didn't he? They took a lotta
liberties
with scientific fact in those old disaster/horror films. I actually
went to
see the LaBrea Tar Pits, LOL. Kinda disappointing...dunno what I
expected.
My main memory is that it stinks, bigtime, non-stop, and my snippy
pals
who thought they were so cool living in Hancock Park (nearby the
Tar Pits) got an earful from me after my TarPit visit and return to
their
home. I had smelled it at their house but didn't yet know what it was!
My fave movie like that is an old oldie "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman"!
Talk about "cheesy".

I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never forget
the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and gentlemen,
attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way and we
desperately need your help!'
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 4th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Cheesy Movies

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never
forget the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and
gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way
and we desperately need your help!'
--

Night of The Lepus was incredibly cheesy. Killer Clowns From Outer Space
was also cheesy. I have clownophobia and that one didn't scare me.

Pam S.

Old August 4th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:46:37 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
news:Q6idnYw9crTVQwvVnZ2dnUVZ8u2dnZ2d@brightview. com...

I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never
forget the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and
gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way
and we desperately need your help!'
--

Night of The Lepus was incredibly cheesy. Killer Clowns From Outer Space
was also cheesy. I have clownophobia and that one didn't scare me.
Disgusted me, but not scared me. One that did however was one I saw when I
was about nine or so. This gigantic crab alien would eat humans and absorb
their memories and be able to talk in their voices For some reason that
really caught my imagination. I had nightmares for about a week.

Pam S.

Another extremely cheesy movie is "bloodsucking pharoahs in pittsburg"

Old August 4th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

tanadashoes wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never
forget the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and
gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this
way and we desperately need your help!'
--

Night of The Lepus was incredibly cheesy. Killer Clowns From Outer
Space was also cheesy. I have clownophobia and that one didn't scare
me. Disgusted me, but not scared me. One that did however was one I
saw when I was about nine or so. This gigantic crab alien would eat
humans and absorb their memories and be able to talk in their voices For
some reason that really caught my imagination. I had nightmares
for about a week.
Pam S.

Oh my Gosh! Killer Clowns from Outer Space! ROFLMAO. I haven't seen that
in years!!!!!!!! That was a TERRIBLE movie. Less than class B rated.
Thanks for bringing up a "funny" memory, Pam.

kili

Old August 4th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Adrian" wrote in message

I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never
forget the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and
gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way
and we desperately need your help!'

Night of The Lepus was incredibly cheesy. Killer Clowns From Outer Space
was also cheesy. I have clownophobia and that one didn't scare me.
Disgusted me, but not scared me. One that did however was one I saw when I
was about nine or so. This gigantic crab alien would eat humans and absorb
their memories and be able to talk in their voices For some reason that
really caught my imagination. I had nightmares for about a week.

Another extremely cheesy movie is "bloodsucking pharoahs in pittsburg"

Wow - even the title of that one is cheesy.

Night of the Lepus is hysterical! Giant bunny rabbits ravaging the
countryside in slow motion, while people hunker down in their basements
with their shotguns. Don't think I saw the part about the announcement
at the drive-in, though, that's funny. This movie is on TV from time to
time, but I've never watched it from start to finish.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 4th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"kilikini" wrote in
. com:

tanadashoes wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Basket case! sick sick sick
Old August 4th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

tanadashoes wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
I think my favourate cheesy movie was "Night of the Lepus" I'll never
forget the line at the drive-in, 'Attention! Attention! Ladies and
gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way
and we desperately need your help!'
--

Night of The Lepus was incredibly cheesy. Killer Clowns From Outer Space
was also cheesy. I have clownophobia and that one didn't scare me.
Disgusted me, but not scared me. One that did however was one I saw when I
was about nine or so. This gigantic crab alien would eat humans and absorb
their memories and be able to talk in their voices For some reason that
really caught my imagination. I had nightmares for about a week.

Pam S.

Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3)

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 5th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Magic Mood Jeep ©" wrote in message
tanadashoes wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Has anybody mentioned Attack of the Killer Tomatoes? It's a classic. I
managed to sit through 5 minutes of it once.

Joy

Old August 5th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Joy wrote:

Has anybody mentioned Attack of the Killer Tomatoes? It's a classic.
I managed to sit through 5 minutes of it once.

Joy

Ha! That one is as bad as the Texas Chainsaw Massacre! :~)

kili

Earthquake this morning! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 45 July 25th 07 08:58 PM
Baby earthquake [email protected] Cat anecdotes 6 August 4th 06 07:51 AM
Sumatra Earthquake! Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 1 July 6th 05 12:57 PM
Earthquake Bev Cat anecdotes 27 September 18th 04 11:32 PM
California Earthquake Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 8 December 23rd 03 10:16 AM