Hair loss

Old August 25th 03, 09:06 PM
Judy

Default Hair loss

wrote in message
Ok, just one more post. One of my 3 cats, Speedy, about 2 years old
began losing hair from inside his hind legs a couple months ago. From
what I have read, this sounded like endocrine feline alopecia.

The vet got a kick out it when I brought that up. He said the hair loss
is due to a flea allergy. He applied some Frontline.

Speedy did not improve a heck of a lot. Another trip to the vet last
week brought the same conclusion, fleas. More Frontline.

As I said in a previous post, using a flea comb, I am still finding live
fleas, even at the point of the Frontline application.

Has anyone else had a cat that lost hair inside the back legs and on the
belly. What did your vet(s) say, and what was done?

JWR

A friend of mine went through this with his cat. The cat was diagnosed with
Psychogenic Alopecia. It's an obsessive compulsive disorder resulting from
stress. Does your guy spend a lot of time grooming those areas? If so, has
anything changed in his life/routine that might be causing him stress?

In the case of my friends cat, while the cause was trying to be determined,
the cat was put on antidepressants - not that this helped. During a
conversation with my friend, he mentioned that this behaviour started
shortly after the cat was no longer allowed to go outside. I suggested that
maybe he should start letting him out again and see if that might help. So,
Ginger started going out again and it wasn't long before the hair started
growing back.

Judy & Matilda