How do I keep the cat off the bed?

Old July 18th 04, 07:39 PM

Default How do I keep the cat off the bed?

I was able to train the cat to use a scratching post (and not my
furniture) in about 2 days with a good ole squirt bottle.

But it's not working for this. She jumps on the bed when I'm
sleeping. She wakes me up when she jumps on, and she wakes me up when
she grooms.

So when she jumps on the bed and wakes me up, I squirt her and she
jumps off. But she comes back 10 minutes later! We do this a dozen
times a night, and I'm not getting good rem.

If I shut her out of the room, she scratches at the door like a
maniac.

Seriously...we don't want the cat sleeping with us. I know many
people LOVE sleeping with their cats. But we've given her a good
home...we just don't want or need her on our bed at night.

Any tips?
Old July 18th 04, 10:10 PM
jmc

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:39:37 GMT, all of a sudden,
exclaimed:

I was able to train the cat to use a scratching post (and not my
furniture) in about 2 days with a good ole squirt bottle.

But it's not working for this. She jumps on the bed when I'm
sleeping. She wakes me up when she jumps on, and she wakes me up when
she grooms.

So when she jumps on the bed and wakes me up, I squirt her and she
jumps off. But she comes back 10 minutes later! We do this a dozen
times a night, and I'm not getting good rem.

If I shut her out of the room, she scratches at the door like a
maniac.

Seriously...we don't want the cat sleeping with us. I know many
people LOVE sleeping with their cats. But we've given her a good
home...we just don't want or need her on our bed at night.

Any tips?

This is what I did: If, for any reason, she woke me up before the
alarm, she was put out of the room, the door closed, and we would
ignore any and all cat noises from the other side. No response,
positive or negative. Fortunately, Meep isn't a yowler.

Consistency! We did this every time, it only took her a couple of
nights to learn, and about two weeks before she completely quit trying
to wake us. She learned the "don't wake her up before the alarm" so
well that if I woke a few minutes before the alarm, I'd see her
sitting attentatively at the side of the bed, and she'd jump up the
*moment* the alarm went off.

She's also learned that she's not allowed above the waist on the bed
without permission. Mostly gently, but unfortunately I tend to wake
and flail blindly if I'm woken by some sort of tickle on any exposed
skin - remenents of a spider phobia, probably.

A long time ago I read a post where someone did this, and kept the
vaccum cleaner ready in the bedroom...if the cat made a ruckus on the
other side of the door, they'd turn on the vaccum. Haven't tried
this, but imagine it'd be effective, and might train your cat faster,
at least if it's afraid of the vaccum.

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

Old July 18th 04, 10:12 PM
jmc

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:10:33 +0100, all of a sudden, jmc
exclaimed:

[...]

I forgot to mention: She is allowed on the bed, she's just not
allowed to try to wake us up. And she *does* understand the
difference.

Old July 19th 04, 01:40 AM

Cats are "pride" animals. So as long as she is an only cat, you are
her "pride". Perhaps a companion would help the situation.

That's pretty interesting. I hadn't thought about that.
So she's sort of nesting with us?