Has anyone ever heard of this before -- wacky cat buyers -- I think?

Old March 5th 05, 01:51 AM
Sereena Nightshade via CatKB.com

Default Has anyone ever heard of this before -- wacky cat buyers -- I think?

I hope someone from this forum can give me some info ASAP. I run a small
cattery and I recently sold a kitten to some people who came in from out of
state (they put the kitten on reserve). Anyway, they came and took the
kitten (under some additionally odd circumstances) and several days later
they called wanting me address to send me payment. I called back and
provided my address. Now, today, about a week later I hear from them again
and they tell me that they took the kitten to the vet and it had the
following problems: Ear mites, fleas, a resp infection, and worms and the
vet told them it was only four weeks old. They also stated that the kitten
refused to eat anything for the first couple or several days that they had
it. Moreover, the vet reportedly told them that the kitten had never been
vaccinated. They claimed that the vet gave the kitten a blood test, which
confirmed that the kitten had never been vaccinated. Now I am really very
confused. That kitten was seven weeks old -- I'm 100% positive. That kitten
had been weaned for a week here and it had been eating Iams kitten chow
like a little piglet -- no problems. That kitten received it's first basic
4-way vaccine. That kitten had been dewormed. What the heck is going on? I
can buy the idea of ear mites and fleas as it's always possible that I
messed up and missed that because a lot was going on when I sold that
kitten and I had brought in some rescue puppies the week prior -- so
although I did not see fleas or knowingly sell a kitten with fleas (of ear
mites for that matter), it is possible (very possible as another litter
mate apparently had fleas and ear mites). A resp infection could have been
the result, possibly a combo result from the recent new vaccine that had
been given and the move into a stressful home environment -- it now seems
that these buyers are a little wacky. However, four weeks old, NO and a
bloodtest which proves that no vaccine was given -- impossible, right? I
don't get it. The full sister to this kitten went to another home and she
too unfortunately had ear mites and fleas, but other than that the vet said
she was healthy and there were no reports from those people of the kitten
being only four weeks old or no vaccine having been given. I am definitely
going to tighten my methods here to deal with any and all fleas and ear
mites. I really have never had these kinds of problem or had anyone
complain before. Anyhow, Does anyone on this forum have any information
about the potential situation here? Has anyone ever heard of a similar
story? I'm really pretty freaked out because I have always done the best
that I could to keep my cats healthy and my clients satisfied and this
episode is something right out ot the Twilight Zone to me.

Old March 6th 05, 05:05 PM
Tommasisx

I would say they were just trying to get out of paying you but since other
kittens had similar problems they may just be embellishing on them to
further warrant not paying you. The not eating problem could be because of
separation anxiety from being separated at such a young age. Most breeders
will wait until the kittens are 12 weeks old before adopting them out.
Kittens handle it a lot better at this age. Having your vet certify That the
kitten is healthy and in an adoptable condition would also help if something
like this becomes a legal battle. Also get full payment on delivery of the
kitten. This would make it a lot harder for them not to pay you or have to
prove their allegations to get their money back. Doesn't sound like you have
much on your side if they decide not to pay.
Terry

Old March 7th 05, 08:14 PM
Hemmaholic

Why on earth would you even let a kitten go to a new home without it
being totally paid for to begin with?

Then there is the issue of not checking the kitten over for for fleas
and ear mites, especially when you had recently brought in new animals.

There really is no excuse for poor husbandry practices on your part,
but since you can not undo what has already been done, I suggest you
chalk this one up to experience, count your losses and be done with it.

It is not that I am not sympathetic to your situation, but due to all
the circumstances around this issues, you are in a no win situation;
best to have learned from it, put measures in place to prevent it from
happening again and get on with your life.

Hemma

Old March 11th 05, 03:56 PM
CHAR WAINSCOTT via CatKB.com

I agree with Henna. Why would you sell a kitten to someone acting odd in
the first place. Besides not making sure it was healthy.