Off topic and only because I thought it was funny

Old July 30th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Off topic and only because I thought it was funny

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:04:13 -0700, Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

That drives me up a wall! Years ago I worked with a guy who just
didn't get it. I'd be on my lunch break, sitting on the patio outside
the office with my nose in a book. He'd sit down and start yakking at
me. I'd give non-committal answers (often merely a grunt!) and not
even look at him. He never seemed to get the hint. Since I had to work
with the guy I couldn't really say "**** off, can't you see I'm trying
to enjoy my book?" Short of being rude, what on earth does it take to
give some people a clue?

Jill

Believe it or not there are fools out there that honestly believe
everyone would rather talk to just about anyone than read a book.

Its not always bad to be deaf.

Jo

Once, years ago, I was sitting at my desk at work, eating my lunch and
reading a book. I usually sat at the table in the break room, but, on
this occasion, was at my desk. One of my co-workers came up and said,
"Since you are eating at your desk, that must mean that you weren't
really interested in lunch, and wouldn't mind doing something for me
instead of eating." I told him that I was, indeed, interested in eating
my lunch, and would get back to him when I was through. He looked rather
disappointed, but went away and let me eat and read in peace.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old July 30th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 25, 1:57*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"outsider" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message
. ..
GOOD QUESTION !

A stranger was seated next to an *8-year old girl on the airplane
when the stranger turned to her and said, 'Let's talk, I've heard
that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your
fellow passenger. ' The little girl, who had just opened her book,
closed it slowly and
said to *the stranger, 'What would you like to talk about?'

'Oh, I don't know,' said the stranger 'How about nuclear * power? '
and he smiles.

'OK,' she said. 'That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask
you a question first : *A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same
stuff - grass . *Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow
turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass.
Why do you suppose that is?'

The stranger, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence,
thinks about it and says, 'Hmmm, I have no idea.'

To which the little girl replies, 'Do you really feel qualified to
discuss nuclear power when you don't know ****? '

ROTFLMAO! *I'll have to remember that the next time a stranger,
seeing me reading a book, tries to strike up an unwanted
conversation!

Hugs,

CatNipped

That drives me up a wall! *Years ago I worked with a guy who just
didn't get it. *I'd be on my lunch break, sitting on the patio outside
the office with my nose in a book. *He'd sit down and start yakking at
me. *I'd give non-committal answers (often merely a grunt!) and not
even look at him. *He never seemed to get the hint. *Since I had to
work with the guy I couldn't really say "**** off, can't you see I'm
trying to enjoy my book?" *Short of being rude, what on earth does it
take to give some people a clue?

Jill

So, you put the book in your lap and look at him and say with a bit of a
whimsical look you remind me of the time someone kept talking to me while
I was reading a real interesting book when suddenly I grabbed his throat
and throttled him into unconsciousness. *The funny thing is even though
they told me what I did I have no memory of even doing it! *Crazy? Isn't
it?

Then go back to your book.

Andy

than you get the flight canceled you escorted of the plane to the FBI *and
you end up on the watch list and have to spend 2 extra hours in security
when you take the next flight

Or someone takes what you said, carries it to HR, and you face a panel
of two who have heard you threatened to kill a coworker and you have
to tell them why you shouldn't be fired.

Heck, even letting a friend vent to you, and *she* says she like to
bring in an Uzi, gets turned into YOU said it, and they come within a
breath of firing you, without ever speaking to anyone who works *with*
you, just around you. Until your former supervisor says, "You can't
fire her without any proof, not even those who sit around her were
spoken to. She'll sue."

Yep, that second paragraph happened to me, in a County government
job. The 'standards' for a raise were changed, just for me. I was
given a fair rating, and told I would not get a raise because of the
"customer service complaint". The rule was three *verified*
complaints, not one from a chick who wasn't hired full time, that no
one else could even say they had heard me say something like that.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old July 30th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:04:13 -0700, Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

I often ate (and read) at my desk. The reason being, there were TV's in the
break room and apparently everyone on break was deaf (no offense to those
truly hearing impaired folks here!). So they'd shout over the TV to talk to
each other, rather than turn the thing down or off. Drove me up a tree.
I'm pretty good at tuning things out when I get absorbed in a book but the
noise level in this case was over the top.

People did try to interrupt me when I was lunching at my desk, but I'd only
let them do it if it was an urgent situation that couldn't wait (I was the
most experienced person in the department). Most people respected it was my
time, regardless of where I chose to spend it.

Jill

Old July 30th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:04:13 -0700, Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

At one place I worked it was impossible to have a quiet break so at lunch
time I sat in my car.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 31st 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Adrian" wrote in message
om
jmcquown wrote:
John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:04:13 -0700, Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

I"ve been known to take myself off to the sick bay (a room attached to the
women's toilets. Why there's no equivalent in the men's I have no idea) to
have a nap on the daybed there. They only annoying thing is when people wake
you up to ask if you are OK. Well I would be if you let me be for half an
hour....

It was *great* when I was pregnant. Sometimes my boss said to me (when I had
literally fallen asleep mid-sentence) "go take a nap". 15 or so minutes of
shut-eye and I was fine. Whilst there are many things that annoy me about my
boss, I cannot thank him enough for being understanding and compassionate to
a pregnant woman, there wouldn't be too many out there that would encourage
nap-taking rather than punishing 'falling asleep at work'.

Yowie

Old July 31st 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

I"ve been known to take myself off to the sick bay (a room attached to the
women's toilets. Why there's no equivalent in the men's I have no idea) to
have a nap on the daybed there. They only annoying thing is when people wake
you up to ask if you are OK. Well I would be if you let me be for half an
hour....

There was a room in a company I used to work for that had a daybed in
it, and sometimes I would take little naps in the afternoon, during the
post-lunch crash. I never got caught, although I guess if it wasn't OK
to lie down in there, they wouldn't have set it up. But I still felt
sort of furtive doing it.

It was *great* when I was pregnant. Sometimes my boss said to me (when I had
literally fallen asleep mid-sentence) "go take a nap". 15 or so minutes of
shut-eye and I was fine. Whilst there are many things that annoy me about my
boss, I cannot thank him enough for being understanding and compassionate to
a pregnant woman, there wouldn't be too many out there that would encourage
nap-taking rather than punishing 'falling asleep at work'.

It's so silly. A short nap is a million times healthier than pumping yourself
up with caffeine or sugar, yet many places would much prefer you eat junk
rather than give your body the little siesta that it really needs. And then
they complain about the high cost of health insurance!

--
Joyce ^..^