Neutering and its effects

Old September 27th 03, 11:00 PM
~*SooZy*~

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message

"Rachel" wrote in message
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything

went
great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My

question
is
how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
personality?
Thanks in advance.

Rachel

I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were

spayed
or
neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with

time --
but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary

greatly
with different cats.

MaryL

me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and

then
you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he

would
be
desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.

That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
cats.

MaryL

well I am only guessing :-) I know getting dogs neutered can calm them down,
not sure with cats though!

Old September 27th 03, 11:35 PM
Ollie Burger

Elizabeth Blake wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Rachel" wrote in message
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question

is
how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't

seem
to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back

up
and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am

hoping
that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
with the neutering.

My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.

Liz

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

In regards to personality changes, I have a 4 yr old
longhair golden tabby male named Flippy who was
the most paranoid cat I have ever known. As a
kitten he'd avoid his litter-mates, cower in a corner,
or scuttle into a hiding place with even the slightest
provocation. He was 2 yrs old before he was
neutered and had his shots (only after the Vet gave
me a tranquilizer to give to him).

After his ordeal, he became quite affectionate and
friendly -- he's still a little bit skitterish though, but
nothing like before.

OB

Old September 28th 03, 12:43 AM
Sandra Loosemore

"Ollie Burger" writes:

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

-Sandra

Old September 28th 03, 12:58 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Sandra Loosemore wrote:

"Ollie Burger" writes:

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

With my cats, a friendly ear-washing often turns into a game of "bite
your ear" and a fun tussle/chase.

BTW, there are numerous species in which one can observe homosexual
behavior. I don't know if cats are among them. Dominance mounting is
not, however, sexual except in its symbolism.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....