stupid, stupid neighbor

Old August 29th 04, 07:17 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Frank Pittel at
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

KellyH wrote:

snip

: Again, ITA. I feel the shelter I volunteer for is too lax, and it's
: starting to really bother me. Case in point, we have a guy who adopted a
: kitten from us. The kitten came down with a URI two days later. He takes
: her to the vet, vet charges $87 (for what, I don't know, he's bringing us a
: receipt, plus he had a certificate for a first free vet exam). He is all
: kinds of ****ed off that we adopted out a "sick" kitten, we knew she was
: sick (she seemed fine at the time), we should reimburse him for the vet
: visit. Oh, he also says he can't pay his rent now because of this. I say,
: bring the kitten back and we'll give you your money back for the adoption
: fee and the vet visit, just go away and don't adopt another kitten. I have
: never had someone react with such anger about a kitten becoming ill. The
: person in charge has said to let him keep the kitten, but reimburse for the
: vet visit. I fear for how he may react at the next illness. Sorry to go
: on, but this situation is really eating me up.

The shelters aren't completely blameless either. I know they mean well and do
their best. Then again so do most people that have cats. Case in point.
Earlier
this summer I got a kitten that was rescued from a train yard. The conductor
that rescued it couldn't keep it and either I took it or it was going to a
shelter. A few weeks later I decided that he needed a friend so I went to the
local shelter and after filling out a pile of paperwork that included a
certificate from a vet that the kitten I had was healthy. I picked out a
kitten,
paid them the adoption fee and took it home. Part of the agreement I signed
when
I got the kitten was that I would bring it to a vet within a week of getting
it.
I made an appointment with the vet for the next day on the way home. When I
got
the kitten to the vet I was told that he had a URI and that it was contagious.
Of
course I had already introduced him to the other kitten by then. I ended up
having two sick kittens.

I called the shelter to let them know that I had gotten a kitten with a URI
and
was informed that I couldn't prove that it got it there!! All I wanted to do
was
let them know of the problem so they could treat the other kittens they had
there.

Three weeks later the kitten I got from the shelter turned up with ringworm.
Fortunately I caught it early and it didn't spread to far or to the other
kitten.
However as a precaution I had to dip both of them. Once again I called the
shelter to inform them of the potential problem they had and their response
indicated they didn't care.

I didn't want them to refund any vet bills. I didn't want the to refund any
money. I know that having pets means that I'm on the hook for vet bills when
they get sick or injured. All I wanted to do was let them know that I had
gotten
a kitten from them that had contagious conditions and that they needed to
check
the rest of the kittens/cats that they had. Each time they responded with
denial.

I don't think that it was unreasonable for me to expect to get a healthy
kitten
from the shelter. I was told when I first got there that all incoming animals
were isolated until checked by a vet before introducing them to the rest of
the
population. I was assured that the kittens they were adopting were healthy.
The
one I got from them not only wasn't but got my healthy kitten sick!!

To be frank, almost every cat I have ever heard of adopted from a situation
where there are a lot of other cats, be it a shelter or not, has had to get
over a bout of something or other. First off, new environments cause stress
and that sets of URIs. Ringworm is just awful common too. Cats, like humans,
experience depression of immune system under stress and there isn't much you
can do except support whatever happens. I'm sure they will be fine soon.
thank goodness it isn't more serious than this.

Old August 29th 04, 08:46 PM
Frank Pittel

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article , Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:
[...]

Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset with the shelter and in fact believe that they
did there best. What upset me was there reaction to me telling them that the
kitten I got from them had a contatious URI when I got him home. I would have
thought they would be interested so that they could check and treat the kittens
that they still had.

As I told the person I spoke with on the phone the kitten I had was mine and
getting it treated was my reponsibility. I made it clear I didn't want a
different kitten or have them pay the vet bill. I will even take a large
percentage of the responsibility for my other kitten getting sick since I should
have kept them seperated at first. I do think that having been told of the
problem that the shelter should be in some way responsible for the health of the
kittens in the cage area after they were informed of a problem.

The same holds with the case of ringworm. I understand that it happens but I
would have thought that they would be interested in knowing that there was a
problem in the cages/pens/holding areas that needed to be disenfected.

Like you say I'm thankfull that the problems that the kitten had and
unfortunatly spread to my other kitten was fairly minor (Is there actually a
minor URI?) that responded well to the antibiotics. They even responded quickly
to the ringworm treatment.

I do think that if a shelter adopts out kittens that were potentially sick with
ringworm, a URI, etc should either be required to inform the adoptee of the
probable expense or cover a part of the expense. My sister got a kitten many
years ago that turned out to have a URI when she got it and they provided the
medication at no cost to her.

Again I realize that the people that volunter at teh shelters are doing there
best to ensure that the animals they offer for adoption are healthy. I do think
that it's not unreasonable to expect that unless I'm informed otherwise that a
kitten I get from a shelter is healthy.

BTW - Although my two kittens are still sneezing ( the vet told me it's to be
expected and will stop in another couple of months ) they are both the picture
of health and have become the best of friends. The little guy that I got from
the shelter is the sweetest and friendliest kitten I've ever had. They certainly
did a good job of socializing him.

-------------------

Old August 29th 04, 08:46 PM
Frank Pittel

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article , Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:

Old August 29th 04, 08:46 PM
Frank Pittel

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article , Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:

Old August 30th 04, 02:53 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Frank Pittel at
wrote on 8/29/04 2:46 PM:

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article
, Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:
[...]

Indeed, they should have said soemthing if it was known about. I'm glad they
are doing so well!

Old August 30th 04, 02:53 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Frank Pittel at
wrote on 8/29/04 2:46 PM:

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article
, Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:

Old August 30th 04, 02:53 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Frank Pittel at
wrote on 8/29/04 2:46 PM:

Karen Chuplis wrote:
: in article
, Frank Pittel at
:
wrote on 8/29/04 9:45AM:

: KellyH wrote:
:
: snip
:

Old August 30th 04, 05:21 AM
Phil P.

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

I blame the owner more than your neighbor for not telling him not to let

the
cat out.

People give babysitters mile-long lists of things to do and things not

do
yet some owners don't think to tell a catsitter the two most important
things: make sure the cat doesn't get out and not to feed the cat

anything
but her cat food. The stupidity boggles the mind.

Haha.. you should see the lists I leave for my catsitter. It was at least

6
pages last time, with pictures!

I used to love meeting people who have cats, but then after talking with
them for five minutes, I tremble in fear from their stupidity and/or
ignorance or worse, indifference.
People will read an instruction manual for a household appliance or

computer
game but not a simple basic cat care guide.

I totally KWYM! Sometimes after talking to people, I want to follow it up
with "where do you live?" so I can go take their cats away.

Doncha wish we do that legally? I sure do.

I would love to make a 3-hour class followed by a short test a

requirement
for adoption... and ideally, an IQ test because some people are just

too
stupid to be entrusted with a cat's life. But that will never happen

until
the demand exceeds the supply.

Phil

Again, ITA. I feel the shelter I volunteer for is too lax, and it's
starting to really bother me.

I don't handle too many adoptions anymore -- too many complaints. My
interviews were called "ingerrogations". My placement rate is about 10%.

[...]

I know how you feel.

Phil

--
-Kelly