Litterbox Training a Senior Cat

Old October 2nd 03, 06:21 AM
Marek Williams

Default Litterbox Training a Senior Cat

I'm rescuing an old stray (Old George). When I first started with him
he was almost feral. He wouldn't let anyone get near him and, if
anyone did he would scratch, bite and hiss. It has taken me a couple
months but I've gotten him to the point where he actually enjoys being
petted.

I let him in the house, but in the morning I frequently find cat poop,
and sometimes wet spots. Most of the time he goes outside -- I have a
cat flap door that at the moment is taped open, so he can come and go
as he pleases -- but sometimes he does it inside. I placed a litter
box in the area, but he seems indifferent to it. I don't think he was
ever brought up indoors and has no idea what a litter box is.

Someone in one of the cat newsgroups mentioned a kind of litter that
is supposedly really attractive to cats, but I can't remember the name
of it and I can't find the post. Can someone tell me again what the
brand is?

Someone also suggested placing some dirt on top of the litter, but
that had no effect. Nevertheless, any other suggestions are welcome.
He's so old I'd hate to have to make him an outdoors only cat,
especially as he really likes being in the house with me.

Here's a pic I took of him lying on the floor in the computer room
with me --

http://home.comcast.net/~johnxj/index.html

The pic may be too big. I'm not very smart about web things.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
Old October 2nd 03, 05:18 PM

Marek Williams wrote:

I'm rescuing an old stray (Old George).
When I first started with him he was
almost feral. He wouldn't let anyone get
near him and, if anyone did he would
scratch, bite and hiss. It has taken me a
couple months but I've gotten him to the
point where he actually enjoys being
petted.
I let him in the house, but in the morning I
frequently find cat poop, and sometimes
wet spots. Most of the time he goes
outside -- I have a cat flap door that at the
moment is taped open, so he can come
and go as he pleases -- but sometimes he
does it inside. I placed a litter box in the
area, but he seems indifferent to it. I don't
think he was ever brought up indoors and
has no idea what a litter box is.

George REALLY needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. There could be some
medical issues such as worms or illness that are behind this problem,
plus the fact that he has been living outside and is older make it very
important to get him seen immediately. IIRC you had some concerns about
stressing him, but having worked with ferals for many years I can tell
you that waiting to take him to he vet will do George NO favors. Yes,
the vet visit can be stressful, but the cats get over it quickly and
don't lose their trust in you. If anything they are grateful to you for
taking them back home. :-) It is imperative that George gets a full
blood workup and stool analysis done. Once you get him home, close the
cat door for a day and give him some time to settle down. He'll be fine.
I would also recommend you only let him outside supervised. The lady
down the street is feeding him toxic foods (the onions are one example)
that could really hurt George if they haven't already.

Someone in one of the cat newsgroups
mentioned a kind of litter that is
supposedly really attractive to cats, but I
can't remember the name of it and I can't
find the post. Can someone tell me again
what the brand is?

It's called Cat Attract. Please don't rely on this until you have George
checked out.

Someone also suggested placing some
dirt on top of the litter, but that had no
effect. Nevertheless, any other
suggestions are welcome. He's so old I'd
hate to have to make him an outdoors
only cat, especially as he really likes
being in the house with me.
Here's a pic I took of him lying on the floor
in the computer room with me --
http://home.comcast.net/~johnxj/index.html

This cat looks in very poor condition. He may not be so old and is just
sick. He really needs to be seen by a vet. Please don't wait any longer.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 2nd 03, 07:50 PM
dd

Try putting one of his poops in the litter box. Plunk him down in front
of the box, and scratch the litter. Perhaps he'll get the idea.

George is a handsome old beast, but his eyes don't look very healthy.
As a feral cat, he probably has eaten rodents and has worms. It's
possible that he could also have feline aids or leukemia. Poor George
probably isn't up to a vet visit--so ask a local vet if he/she can make
a house call. He really needs to be seen and treated.

Old October 2nd 03, 08:28 PM
Agua Girl

"dd" wrote in message
Try putting one of his poops in the litter box. Plunk him down in front
of the box, and scratch the litter. Perhaps he'll get the idea.

George is a handsome old beast, but his eyes don't look very healthy.
As a feral cat, he probably has eaten rodents and has worms. It's
possible that he could also have feline aids or leukemia. Poor George
probably isn't up to a vet visit--so ask a local vet if he/she can make
a house call. He really needs to be seen and treated.

Heh heh. I thought he could use a good brushing then I
recalled the poster saying he was just now allowing
petting so I suppose George is as handsome and healthy
as George wants to be :-) . Some times you have to accept
you have done all you can to this point.
Good for you Marek for making room in your life for
this old tom. (hey, that sounds like a premise for a TV show...
"This Old Tom")

AG

Old October 4th 03, 03:10 AM
Marek Williams

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:28:43 GMT, "Agua Girl"
dijo:

George is a handsome old beast, but his eyes don't look very healthy.
As a feral cat, he probably has eaten rodents and has worms. It's
possible that he could also have feline aids or leukemia. Poor George
probably isn't up to a vet visit--so ask a local vet if he/she can make
a house call. He really needs to be seen and treated.

Heh heh. I thought he could use a good brushing then I
recalled the poster saying he was just now allowing
petting so I suppose George is as handsome and healthy
as George wants to be :-) . Some times you have to accept
you have done all you can to this point.
Good for you Marek for making room in your life for
this old tom. (hey, that sounds like a premise for a TV show...
"This Old Tom")

There is a new vet only a few blocks away (new practice). She's the
one who sold me the Revolution. Next time I get a chance I'll stop in
and ask her what she'd charge to stop by. Problem is ensuring that
George is handy when she arrives. He's an independent old boy.

As for his appearance, you should have seen him when I started a
couple months ago. His eyes are clear most of the time now, and the
horribly matted hair on the rear of his back (over an inch above the
rest of his hair) is now gone and the underlying hair is evening out
and looking pretty good. He still has matted hair on his sides,
especially in the back, but it doesn't seem to bother him. The matted
hair is not a sign of disease. As you noted, George is as handsome as
he wants to be. He doesn't wash himself much, but that is by habit,
not because he can't. I do see him washing himself a little sometimes.

As for worms and other stuff, according to the vet the Revolution will
take care of that. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to
get into the tube. I called Pfizer and they were pretty useless. I'm
just going to take a knife to the tube.

For those who think there is something evil about me because I don't
instantly haul him off to the vet, well, I don't take myself to a
doctor for every little thing either, and I'm even older than George,
relatively speaking. He is still improving on his own, so I think most
of what is wrong with him is due to horrible nutrition and age. And if
he has something serious, well, there are no other cats here and none
of the neighbor cats go near him. From reports in the neighborhood
he's been around for at least eight years, probably longer. For a
stray, that is pretty old. I doubt that a vet could do anything for
him, but I will see if the new lady vet will stop by.

In the meantime, the major issue is litterbox training. I'll call
around and see where I can get some Cat Attract and try that next. I
bet it has no impact on the problem, but I'll give it a shot. He's
like a child still in diapers -- doesn't have a clue about what a
toilet is for, and wouldn't be interested if he did. I think what will
eventually work is catching him in the act so I can apply the hand of
knowledge to the furry seat of learning, right at the precise moment.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old October 4th 03, 09:28 AM
onebyone

Bless you for taking him in. You are an angel! What are you feeding George?
Some high quality food will definitely help reverse some of the aging. A vet
could also tell you his approximate age.
You will need to give George a pill in his food for worming. I don't believe
that Revolution can kill tapeworms. Please keep us posted on this old boy.
How about an attached outside enclosure?