Ind. Prisoners Allowed To Keep Cats

Old September 14th 04, 03:39 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Default Ind. Prisoners Allowed To Keep Cats

http://www.theindychannel.com/family...39/detail.html

POSTED: 6:04 pm EDT September 13, 2004

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- You'll find some pretty tough cats at the Indiana
State Prison.

But the real felines have done nothing wrong. They're the pets of prison
inmates.

Officials say that over the years, stray cats have wandered into the
144-year-old prison.

Authorities have allowed some prisoners to keep the animals and now there
are 29 cat-owning inmates. According to prison officials, cats have a
calming effect on prisoner behavior. At least most of the time. There have
been prison fights over the felines.

But there's now an unwritten rule at the Indiana penitentiary -- you don't
mess with a man's cat.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old September 14th 04, 03:47 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article vRs1d.172252$9d6.56887@attbi_s54, Magic Mood Jeep© at
wrote on 9/13/04 9:39 PM:

http://www.theindychannel.com/family...39/detail.html

POSTED: 6:04 pm EDT September 13, 2004

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- You'll find some pretty tough cats at the Indiana
State Prison.

But the real felines have done nothing wrong. They're the pets of prison
inmates.

Officials say that over the years, stray cats have wandered into the
144-year-old prison.

Authorities have allowed some prisoners to keep the animals and now there
are 29 cat-owning inmates. According to prison officials, cats have a
calming effect on prisoner behavior. At least most of the time. There have
been prison fights over the felines.

But there's now an unwritten rule at the Indiana penitentiary -- you don't
mess with a man's cat.

Wow. That's pretty interesting. I wonder what kind of education they get? It
would, I would think, be good therapy.

Old September 14th 04, 04:14 AM
bonbon

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:39:23 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:

http://www.theindychannel.com/family...39/detail.html

POSTED: 6:04 pm EDT September 13, 2004

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- You'll find some pretty tough cats at the Indiana
State Prison.

But the real felines have done nothing wrong. They're the pets of prison
inmates.

Officials say that over the years, stray cats have wandered into the
144-year-old prison.

Authorities have allowed some prisoners to keep the animals and now there
are 29 cat-owning inmates. According to prison officials, cats have a
calming effect on prisoner behavior. At least most of the time. There have
been prison fights over the felines.

But there's now an unwritten rule at the Indiana penitentiary -- you don't
mess with a man's cat.

Isn't it great?

A while back, PBS ran a special about cats and one of the stories was
similar to the Indiana Prison story you posted. I can't remember
which state it was, but one of their prisons invited one of the local
shelters nearby to bring cats over one day per week, and volunteer
prisoners spend time with them, groom them, bathe them and so on to
make the cats more adoptable. The cats as well as the inmates really
seemed to enjoy the activity.

I wonder if the Indiana State Prison has a vet come check the cats
out, give shots, etc?

-bonbon

Old September 14th 04, 06:32 AM
Sherry

POSTED: 6:04 pm EDT September 13, 2004

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- You'll find some pretty tough cats at the Indiana
State Prison.

But the real felines have done nothing wrong. They're the pets of prison
inmates.

Officials say that over the years, stray cats have wandered into the
144-year-old prison.

Authorities have allowed some prisoners to keep the animals and now there
are 29 cat-owning inmates. According to prison officials, cats have a
calming effect on prisoner behavior. At least most of the time. There have
been prison fights over the felines.

But there's now an unwritten rule at the Indiana penitentiary -- you don't
mess with a man's cat.

Wow. That's pretty interesting. I wonder what kind of education they get? It
would, I would think, be good therapy.

I think that's a wonderful idea. I'm not a bleeding heart for prisoners or
anything, but it sounds like a winwinwin situation. The prison officials
benefit by the calmer prisoners. The cats benefit because there's too many
dying for lack of a home already. The prisoners benefit because IMO, the *one*
thing we don't ever lose as long as there is breath in our bodies is the need
to give, and receive love.

Sherry