Back from France

Old July 10th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

Default Back from France

had a great time (understatement)

Dropped the felines off at the boarding cattery the day before we left, and
that evening Nathan did a new PB for a 10-mile time trial, of 22 mins 15
seconds. So we left for France with him on a high.

I recommend the Tunnel as a way of crossing the Channel. Quick, smooth... no
seasickness ;-)

On the way down, we stopped off at a service station on the Somme. A family
was exercising a feline in a harness. Said feline was called Asterix, and I
got a piccie of him - yet to be developed.

Got to Rennes on Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning we did a recce of the
time trial course that was to be the Saturday stage & Thursday afternoon
Nathan rode it in full time trial kit. He did about 1hr 37 mins, which
considering it was no closed roads, plenty of junctions, and in the city
zillions of red lights, was not bad. The sight of someone in CSC kit,
complete with aero helmet riding a Cervelo bike with rear carbon disc wheel
caused many a double-take amongst the residents of Rennes.

On the Friday, Vernon & Nathan went over to Vitre, the end of that day's
stage. They got to about 100m of the finish. After the event, Sastre spotted
Nathan & beckoned him over - he gave Nathan his drink bottle, marked
"Carlos" Nathan was chuffed to bits as there were lots of people about, but
Nathan was the only one in a CSC jersey :-)

On the Saturday I awoke to the sight of a load of the publicity caravans
parked outside my bedroom window. The start was literally just up the road.

Once again, Nathan was in full CSC kit and riding his Cervelo. We went up as
far as the CSC team bus. All the guys apart from Julich were happy to come
over to Nathan & do the autograph & picture bit - even Bjarne Riis came
over. Jens Voight is very fan-focused and took his time signing the
autograph & having a picture taken. David Zabriskie is similar. When he
arrived, he dropped his bag off on the team bus, then came out over to
Nathan straightaway.

Later during the day, One of the support team came over with a CSC cap for
Nathan.

Met some lovely people too - it helps having a little French & German
vocabulary. It got Jens Voight over to where Nathan was standing very
quickly. Plus, talking to a young French couple, I was cooing over their
baby. A while later, the baby's father came back with a wrist band which
allowed access into the area where you could get right next to the riders.
He offered it to Nathan so Nathan could get a close look at the bikes & CSC.
What a nice chap!

Of course, the one rider who couldn't be bothered to sign autographs, Bobby
Julich, fell off during the TT & has injured his hand. Vernon tells me that
my invoking of a curse must have been particularly strong and once again, it
shows I am an old witch ;-) Julich has had to drop out of the Tour. I must
watch my cursing....

Oh, and cycling back to the hotel, I was overtaken on a hill by one Robbie
McEwan. Damn cheek ;-) Nathan was overtaken by a Gerolsteiner rider - the
one who is about 5th in the general classification... and as I said to
Nathan, "Son, if you are going to be overtaken by another rider, at least
it's by a professional and not your mother or father"

I got burnt to a frazzle in the sun. Haven't been caught out like that for
years.

Came back on Sunday, arriving hom late on Sunday night.

This morning I zoomed over to the cattery to collect three felines. Three
plump felines.... three felines who were snoozing when I arrived and then,
when it clicked it was me, three felines instantly awaoke and started their
purr motors revving. On the journey from the cattery to home, Marble peed in
his carrier... all three serenaded me for the entire journey and once home,
have spent the day going from house to garden... garden to house... to
garden.. to house.. to lap.. to face... to shoulders... purring all the
while.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Old July 10th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wafflycat wrote:

This morning I zoomed over to the cattery to collect three felines. Three
plump felines.... three felines who were snoozing when I arrived and then,
when it clicked it was me, three felines instantly awaoke and started their
purr motors revving. On the journey from the cattery to home, Marble peed in
his carrier... all three serenaded me for the entire journey and once home,
have spent the day going from house to garden... garden to house... to
garden.. to house.. to lap.. to face... to shoulders... purring all the
while.

Awww, a happy reunion!

Sounds like it was a fun trip. Hope you're not too sore from sunburn and
pedaling!

Joyce
Old July 10th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

wafflycat wrote:
had a great time (understatement)

snip
Came back on Sunday, arriving hom late on Sunday night.

This morning I zoomed over to the cattery to collect three felines.
Three plump felines.... three felines who were snoozing when I
arrived and then, when it clicked it was me, three felines instantly
awaoke and started their purr motors revving. On the journey from the
cattery to home, Marble peed in his carrier... all three serenaded me
for the entire journey and once home, have spent the day going from
house to garden... garden to house... to garden.. to house.. to lap..
to face... to shoulders... purring all the while.

Cheers, helen s

I'm glad you all had such a good time. I saw Bobby Julich's fall on the
news, I felt sorry for him when I saw it, less so now.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old July 10th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

Adrian A wrote:
wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you had a great time. I loved reading about it.
Suz&Spicey

Old July 11th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wafflycat wrote:

had a great time (understatement)

Dropped the felines off at the boarding cattery the day before we left,
and that evening Nathan did a new PB for a 10-mile time trial, of 22
mins 15 seconds. So we left for France with him on a high.

snip
This morning I zoomed over to the cattery to collect three felines.
Three plump felines.... three felines who were snoozing when I arrived
and then, when it clicked it was me, three felines instantly awaoke and
started their purr motors revving. On the journey from the cattery to
home, Marble peed in his carrier... all three serenaded me for the
entire journey and once home, have spent the day going from house to
garden... garden to house... to garden.. to house.. to lap.. to face...
to shoulders... purring all the while.

Cheers, helen s

Welcome back!
Best wishes,