(OT) Rant - Department of Motor Vehicles and other absurdities

Old February 24th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default (OT) Rant - Department of Motor Vehicles and other absurdities

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in news:49a30b49$0$1629
:

That is so true! When I first moved to California I was awed by the
efficiency of the DMV here. So I was puzzled when I heard Californians
complain about how inefficient it is.

I have to admit our DMV does a pretty good job. My last visit there went
pretty good, much better than the "hurry up and wait" when admitting my
mom
to the local ER last week. The DMV clerks were courteous and helpful and
got us in and out quick, and showed us all the tricks of the paperwork.

They've also adopted a "call your number" system so there's no waiting
in
line once you get a number from the "triage nurse" near the DMV
entrance.
(She figures out where you need to go, and enters you in the system so
you
get called to the right window.)

Are you in IN, by any chance? That's the system we have here. When I
went in there in early January of this year, once I got past her - I got
A) new plates for my Christmas present and B) renewed my driver's license.
I think I was there for maybe 20 minutes total.

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old February 24th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in news:gnve9r$f0g$1
@reader.motzarella.org:

Are you in IN, by any chance?

East side of San Francisco Bay, north of Berzerkeley.
Old February 24th 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
Almost makes you wish you had just driven to TN to get the original, eh?

I went through something similar last year, but not quite as bad. When we
paid off our Land Rover, we got the title in the mail, where the loan
company (Land Rover Capital) had signed off and released it to us.

It went missing. I went to get a replacement, but they couldn't give it
to me as the loan company's name is still on it.

I went home, called them and they faxed a lien release to the BMV (here in
IN, it is called what it is BEAREAU of Motor Vehicles LOL).

Went back to BMV and they STILL couldn't release it to me - seems they had
Jaguar listed as the lei holder, not Land Rover (same company, different
names) and to top it of, some inexperienced typist somewhere had
misspelled it as Jaquar (who's ever heard of them). 1.5 hours, and 5
faxes explaining that Jaquar is a typo, and it should be Jaguar, and that
Jaguar and Land Rover are one & the same (at least here in USA, the
majority shareholder is Ford Motor Company), and that neither company
still held a lien on the vehicle, I walked out with a duplicate title and
it is now locked in our 'fireproof' safe.

LOL I wish I'd thought about it when I went back last May to get my car and
Persia! It never occurred to me I'd need the title to my car. That was the
last thing on my mind. Dealing with it is such a hassle! I know I paid off
the car. I know I got the title in the mail. That clerk at the DMV really
ticked me off. She was insinuating I was trying to commit a crime by
getting the title for a car I don't legally own!

And then the dealership couldn't verify they'd sold me a car. Ironically, I
got something in the mail from them yesterday offering me a "GREAT DEAL! for
existing owners only!!" Oh, you can figure out you sold me a car when you
want to sell me a new one. But you can't verify you sold me a car when I
need to get a copy of the title. Sheesh.

Jill

Old February 24th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Feb 23, 7:01*am, Sherry wrote:

Incompetence at the tag office can turn into a nightmare.

Try this for size.....Dave was once sent several parking tickets from
Hackney in respect of his beige Audi.....Dave doesn't drive and even
if he did he wouldn't drive a beige anything! In the end, he had to go
to court and swear that he was not the owner of the car. Looks like
someone just put our address in the registration documents.,

Another time someone used this address when arrested and we kept
getting summonses in this person's name when Dave phoned the court and
said the person on the summons wasn't at this address, the clerk
actually replied "You would say that wouldn't you?" So that was
another trip to court- it's lucky our local court is only 4 doors down
from us.

But the winner was our local council who sent Dave a court date for
failing to pay his poll tax, which he had paid so he went along to
the court again and showed them the bill and they realised they meant
someone with a similar sounding name should have got it and not
him.....end of matter? Nope they later fined Dave for the costs of
the court case they had brought against him even through he was the
innocent party!

Is it any wonder we're on the first name terms with the court
officials?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 24th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 24, 7:56*am, wrote:
On Feb 23, 7:01*am, Sherry wrote:

[...]

Crazy stuff! Just like our Dept. of Motor Vehicles, you're "guilty
until proven innocent." And
the hassle of proving that is completely up to you. When we'd tell
this story trying to unravel
the error, we'd get this attitude like "Yeah, right. That's what they
all say."
While I"m remembering this deal, and ranting, the police took his
driver's license away, and lost them! After we straightened the mess
out, no one could find them anywhere.
So that was another $20 to have a new license issued we had to pay.

Sherry

Sherry
Old February 24th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've renewed my TN drivers license online twice. It's very convenient
but also kind of freaky when you think about it. They just send me a
copy of my old license with a new issued and expiration date. It still
has my old photo on it. My appearance hasn't really changed but they
don't know that!

I can imagine a present-day Oscar Wilde using that idea for a novella
about The Driving Licence of Dorian Gray.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 24th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I've renewed my TN drivers license online twice. It's very convenient
but also kind of freaky when you think about it. They just send me a
copy of my old license with a new issued and expiration date. It still
has my old photo on it. My appearance hasn't really changed but they
don't know that!

I can imagine a present-day Oscar Wilde using that idea for a novella
about The Driving Licence of Dorian Gray.

ROFL! I loved that book!

Jill

Old February 25th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I can imagine a present-day Oscar Wilde using that idea for a novella
about The Driving Licence of Dorian Gray.

Another present-day writer, Will Self, has written a novel where Dorian
Gray's portrait is a video installation...

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.