Flea meds

Old January 30th 15, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Super Man

Default Flea meds

What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats
Old January 30th 15, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

Super Man writes:

What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

I don't know which country you're in and what brands you have available
locally but Advantage and Frontline are both pretty good in my
experience. They're not cheap, but I've heard enough anecdotes about
cheaper treatments making people's cats ill that I've not risked it. Do
check the instructions to make sure to buy the one for appropriate
weight, etc.

I haven't much tried the collars because I didn't happen to come across
one that will do the emergency release thing if the cat gets really
stuck somewhere, and I've usually had indoor cats anyway.

-- Mark
Old January 30th 15, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:10:26 -0800 (PST), Super Man
wrote:

What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

Front Line didn't work, but Revolution does.

Old January 30th 15, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Super Man

Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job
Old January 30th 15, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job

.......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
Revolution.

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old January 31st 15, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Super Man

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:17:57 PM UTC-5, buglady wrote:
On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job

......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
Revolution.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in
Old January 31st 15, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:15:33 -0800 (PST), Super Man
wrote:

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:17:57 PM UTC-5, buglady wrote:
On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job

......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
Revolution.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

Call an exterminator.

Old January 31st 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 1/30/2015 10:15 PM, Super Man wrote:

what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

......borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.

Old January 31st 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:48:24 -0500, buglady
wrote:

On 1/30/2015 10:15 PM, Super Man wrote:

what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

.....borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.

Really, BL, if you have a bad flea infestation, over-the-counter
products ain't going to cut the mustard.

I say this from experience, and it's important to have your cats
flea-free before you exterminate, which could turn into a logistical
problem.

I am recommending a professional exterminator to save money in the
long run. Sounds as if the OP has an old, large house, and the fleas
won't confine themselves to the basement. You treat one area, and the
fleas move to another area, etc.

Old January 31st 15, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

wrote:
.....borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.

Really, BL, if you have a bad flea infestation, over-the-counter
products ain't going to cut the mustard.

...............Fleabusters can be applied by professionals and used to be
only available through pest control people. My neighbor called an
exterminator and they used an IGR spray, which you can buy over the
counter. Neither of these products kills instantly, unless they've
juiced up the IGR with permethrins or pyrethrins, neither of which are
good for cats, but people who ignored fleas for months want instant
results I guess. Personally I'm not fond of dust with either
diatomaceous earth or borax, so I use an IGR, which lasts for months.

A box of 10 bottles of Precor is 50 bucks. Nygar is resistant to
breakdown by sunlight, Precor is not.
Over the counter does not mean second rate.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fleas-c-24.html