Jim's blood clots update (Monday)

Old March 13th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Default Jim's blood clots update (Monday)

On Mar 12, 4:37 pm, "Annie Wxill" wrote:
Jim made it through the night, but had a hard time. The hospital pharmacy
somehow didn't authorize his pain meds and he had to suffer through it until
they sorted it out.

However, the great news is that he is still with us and felt good enough to
get up and take a shower. The doctor told him that it was a good thing he
got to the ER when he did because his organs were beginning to shut down for
lack of oxygen. I'm so glad I did not hear that yesterday.

The doctor also said that (except for this minor condition that tried to
kill him) Jim is in great health and is expected to fully recover in time.

Cinder and Rosie snuggled one on each side of me and purred to me all night.
It is the ultimate calming thing.

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement. It really made a
difference.

Annie, Jim, Rosie and Cinder

I can understand that, Annie! Hope Jim will soon be even more on the
mend and able to leave the hospital.

Melissa

Old March 13th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Annie Wxill wrote:
[...]

That's great news! Continuing purrs until you're back on the road/water
again.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 13th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Mar 12, 6:37�pm, "Annie Wxill" wrote:
[...]

Spicey sends recovery purrs.
Suz&Spicey

Old March 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo

... Also, when Mom was on coumadin (blockages in her legs)
there was a list of vegetables she couldn't eat which, unfortunately,
included some of her favourites like spinach and broccoli. I gather they
are also natural blood thinners.
Jill

Hi Jill,

Thank you for the warning. We are aware of the cautions.

I think the problem with the vegetables is that they are high in vitamin
I, which promotes clotting, which would conflict with the blood thinning
medicine.

Annie

Old March 13th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jofirey wrote:
[...]

I hate, hate, hate hospital pharmacies.

Blood clots in the lungs are an extremely scary thing. As I'm sure
you have figured out by now if you didn't know before. It just seems
unreal that something that doesn't "make you feel sick" can kill
you. I hope the pain doesn't last. Usually once the blood thinners
kick in you feel pretty good.

Again, I'm so glad you did get to the ER in time, and purrs are on
the way that all is well and getting better.

Jo

Piggybacking to add something about blood thinners (like coumadin): Make
sure they tell Jim if they put him on coumadin or other blood thinners not
to take things like aspirin, which is also a blood thinner. There's such a
thing as too thin! Also, when Mom was on coumadin (blockages in her legs)

Old March 13th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Annie Wxill wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo

... Also, when Mom was on coumadin (blockages in her legs)
there was a list of vegetables she couldn't eat which, unfortunately,
included some of her favourites like spinach and broccoli. I gather
they are also natural blood thinners.
Jill

Hi Jill,

Thank you for the warning. We are aware of the cautions.

I think the problem with the vegetables is that they are high in
vitamin I, which promotes clotting, which would conflict with the
blood thinning medicine.

Annie

That would make sense. Mom was never really clear on why she couldn't eat
green leafy stuff. I just know she was upset about it because she loves
spinach & broccoli and cabbage. She was never more relieved than when they
took her off coumadin! First thing she did was buy Stouffer's Spinach
Souffle

At least you are being fully informed. That's a good thing! I was so sorry
to hear Jim had to be in pain while the pharmacy sorted things out.
Hospitals are a pain in the a**. I'm glad he's going to be just fine.
Never doubted it. The power of purrs and all that

The last time I was in hospital, when they were releasing me I had to roll
up my sleeve and say, "You think you might want this back?" They'd left the
thing (sorry, I don't know the name for it) stuck in my arm that hooked me
up to the IV. I suppose I could have taken it home with me as sort of a
consolation prize. The bill was high enough, I sure could have used a
consolation prize!

As it was, I'd been okay'd to have breakfast by the doctor when she made her
rounds at 6AM. I hadn't eaten in 48 hours when I arrived there for
emergency surgery. By 11:30 the morning I was to check out I was soooooo
hungry I started crying. Finally one of the nurses came in, asked, "What's
wrong, honey?" I'm STARRRRRVING! (I must have sounded like one of our cats
on this ng, we know they're *always* starving LOL) But really, I was so
hungry I was hurting. "Oh honey, they didn't bring you anything to eat?!"
No, they didn't.

I couldn't wait to get out of there. Take your IV thing out of my arm and
let me out of here!

Jill

Old March 13th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

That would be vitamin K. The other is a typo.
Annie

Hi Jill,

....high in vitamin I, ....

Annie

Old March 13th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
That would make sense. Mom was never really clear on why she couldn't eat
green leafy stuff. ...
Jill

Hi Jill,

I made a typo. It is vitamin K that the blood uses for clotting.

We got a laugh out of your experience, but I'm sure it wasn't funny at the
time.

Annie

Old March 13th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Annie Wxill wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
That would make sense. Mom was never really clear on why she
couldn't eat green leafy stuff. ...
Jill

Hi Jill,

I made a typo. It is vitamin K that the blood uses for clotting.

We got a laugh out of your experience, but I'm sure it wasn't funny
at the time.

Annie

Well, Mom wasn't able to eat green veggies for years and years! She didn't
find it very funny but she sure went to town on them the moment they took
her off coumadin! Spinach here I come! LOL

Jill