Poor Hobbes has a pain in the butt

Old March 23rd 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Default Poor Hobbes has a pain in the butt

purrs on the way.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
ups.com...
We were outside last night until about 11 p.m. and when we finished
what we were doing and went into the house we found blood - 3"
diameter circle of blood in the living room and a second slightly
smaller circle of blood in the bedroom and of course spots of blood in
various places in between.

DH's first response was "what did you feed them that was red?
ME: No dear, that's blood, someone is in trouble
DH: I think someone has just thrown up, it looks more like vomit.
ME: Well if they've thrown that up then we're in even bigger trouble
because that's blood.

We started examining cats, who had all come to meet us when we walked
in the house and no one appeared hurt or sick. We turned Hobbes onto
his side and his entire bottom, under his tail was soaked in blood.

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier
and speed to emergency vet.

Hobbes has a ruptured abscess of the anal gland. He has a horrific
looking hole just to the left of his rectum. The emergency vet
flushed it out, examined him and gave him antibiotic and pain meds and
recommended we follow up with our regular vet rather than having the
expense of their sedating him and examining him further.

We went home this morning about 2 a.m. and at 8 a.m. we were at our
regular vet. Except to flush it out and keep it clean there isn't a
lot the vet can do at this time. Our concern is that Hobbes' diabetes
has flared and that this necrotizing wound is a result of that. As
with all diabetics we have to be concerned with the healing process
and making sure the wound doesn't get worse. His blood glucose at 1
a.m. was 341 and this morning at 8:00 was 325 so we're going to wait
on the fructosamide results before we start giving him insulin again
since he's under stress that the BGC could reflect that. For the
moment he's isolated in the small room of the house so he can rest
without the others bothering him (and this keeps any seeping blood out
of my beige carpets, although the damage has already been done). He's
on Clavomax and I'm to give apply warm compresses to the wound on a
regular basis. We'll go back on Monday and then every two or three
days after that to make sure he is healing properly.

I'm sure he would appreciate any purrs that might be sent his way. He
says that after this experience Sam is not the worst pain in the butt
he's ever encountered.

Julie and Hobbes

Old March 23rd 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Mar 23, 11:49 am, "GaDragonfly" wrote:

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier
and speed to emergency vet.

Oh dear! I remember the panic I was in when
I found blood on Rusty' bedding. Turned out he had an bladder
infection and passed lots more blood when the vet examined him. He was
put on antibiotic for a whole month.
He also lost his appetite while on antibiotic.

Rusty sends his purrs to Hobbs.

Old March 23rd 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Ohhhhh! Owwwwwwwww. I bet his BG will go down as the antibiotics get that
infection out. Poor baby Hobbes!!!!! Give him skritches for me.

Old March 23rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Norm[_2_]

Puura from Katie and I in FL. Just saw this, my 'puter has been down
again. so I'm way behind on eBay and NGs. On the plus side I do have
pics of the rescued kitty in PA, Bolly, a pretty black&white with one blue
and one green eye...but from individual.net I can't post them to
binaries. If I get caught up I'll see if I can put them on my webshots
album... Norm

Old March 24th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Ow, that had to smart. Ruptured abcesses can indeed be messy but anal
gland abcesses are just plain icky. Take it from one who has had to
treat a dog with one. Poor Hobbes!

Warm compresses will help and i bet he has a cone on his head to keep
him from licking his butt.

Purrs for him from Imp, Mischief and Mayhem

Kristi

Old March 24th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

[snips]

No cluons were harmed when Mischief wrote:
Ow, that had to smart. Ruptured abcesses can indeed be messy
but anal gland abcesses are just plain icky. Take it from one
who has had to treat a dog with one. Poor Hobbes!

Warm compresses will help and i bet he has a cone on his head to
keep him from licking his butt.

(NOTE: Way too much information follows - evil grin)

As someone who had a ruptured boil on my lower buttock, I can attest to
the misery, although it hurt less AFTER the rupture because the swelling
eventually went away.

Also, I was *wondering* what that plastic cone was for...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old March 24th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mark Edwards wrote:

(NOTE: Way too much information follows - evil grin)

As someone who had a ruptured boil on my lower buttock, I can attest to
the misery, although it hurt less AFTER the rupture because the swelling
eventually went away.

Also, I was *wondering* what that plastic cone was for...

Mark, have you been eating kibble again?

Joyce

Old March 24th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Mar 23, 3:50 pm, wrote:
Poor Hobbes! I hope it heals quickly. Did the vet say that the
wound is already necrotizing, or is it just an ordinary infection?
I wonder what caused it to begin with?

Purrs for everyone - and I hope you got some rest after a stressful
night and 6 hours' sleep.

Joyce

Joyce,
I think it has necrotizing. This morning the wound is twice as large
as it was yesterday. I'm plan to be camped out at the door when the
vet opens this morning. We're racing locally this weekend, I may not
get a chance to post after I leave the vet because I'll probably go
straight to the track (assuming he has to stay at the vet). I'll let
you all know how he is doing when I can get back to the computer.
Thanks for all the purrs!
Julie

Old March 24th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Mar 23, 5:08 pm, "Winnie" wrote:
On Mar 23, 11:49 am, "GaDragonfly" wrote:

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier
and speed to emergency vet.

Oh dear! I remember the panic I was in when
I found blood on Rusty' bedding. Turned out he had an bladder
infection and passed lots more blood when the vet examined him. He was
put on antibiotic for a whole month.
He also lost his appetite while on antibiotic.

Rusty sends his purrs to Hobbs.

Winnie,
Bladder infection was one of the things I thought was going on when we
first found him. I never expected what we have! I'm not sure which is
the lesser evil at the moment.
Thank Rusty for his purrs and give him a chin scritch from me.
Julie and Hobbes

Sneaky, Snarky, Pain in the Butt.... Smokie Darling (Annie) Cat anecdotes 17 October 23rd 06 08:06 AM
Hobbes Update Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 06 10:37 PM
Dan, Hobbes and everybody else [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 23rd 05 07:34 AM
How to know if cat is in pain Nightstar Cat health & behaviour 16 July 10th 04 04:57 AM
how to tell if cat is in pain? Jerenz Cat health & behaviour 10 June 3rd 04 08:40 PM