Cats in surgery today

Old October 9th 04, 07:07 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
One thing you can see that others cannot: how a cat with whole feet runs

and jumps and plays compared with how one that has had the amputations done
does. It is like night and day--the declawed paws are like dust mops on the
end of sticks, all the wonderful mechanism that made them a joy to have
gone.

This is a perfect way to articulate exactly what I've observed in declawed

cats too. Thanks Mary.

Sherry

Welcome. I still cry when I really think about the fact that I did that to
my beautiful Gnarly. I know people get sick of the declaw controversy, but
if one young person who does not know what it really is and really does
reads this group before they can have it done to their cat, thinking it is
just removal of the claws, then it is worth it. Like the OP I had my cat
declawed and spayed at the same time. I will never forget how she was when
she came home, staggering around, hardly able to hold her head up from the
medication and flinching and crying every time she tried to touch her front
feet to the floor. It is the most horrible thing I have ever done in my
life. Here she is, look at her beautiful little feet. (From this angle you
cannot see the damage from the declaw but you could when she stood up.)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crazya...&.dnm=bd26.jpg

Old October 9th 04, 09:37 PM
Mary

"ceb2" wrote in message
om...
(-L. wrote in message

om...
(ceb2) wrote in message
om...
We have three 5 month old kittens; Princess Consuela Bananahammock
(don't ask), Roxie, and Grizabella. Today, they are all in surgery to
get spayed and declawed.
I know the general feeling among cat owners is that declawing is cruel
and inhumane. Please, no flames and no guilt flingers. I already feel
bad enough, but we have our reasons.

no you don't. If you felt "bad" you wouldn't have done it.

They are at Banfield Animal Hospital who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane because they don't do a full amputation
and that since they are being spayed at the same time, it will be an
easier recovery.
I am looking for insight from owners of declawed cats. Should I expect
their behavior to be the same? They all have their own distinct
personality and I would hate for that to change.

As many as 30% of declawed cats exhibit behavioral problems post-op.

Have fun cleaning up cat **** from all over your house.

-L.

From the AMVA's web site:

There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral
abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that
of cats in control groups.

here's the link:

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415c.asp

Great. Feel better about having the toes of the kittens who trusted you
AMPUTATED for the sake of your furniture? Well good for you. You'll get
yours--what goes around comes around, and I mean it really does. We wind up
paying for every cruel and selfish deed.

Old October 9th 04, 10:28 PM
Sherry

From the AMVA's web site:

There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral
abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that
of cats in control groups.

here's the link:

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415c.asp

Great. You can read the AMVA's stand on declawing (no surprise on that
one--it's a tremendous source of revenue for vets)
Now. Were you also able to read points 1 through 7, which suggests that
attempts at behavioral training should be done before considering declaw? I'm
*so sure* you tried every option, and ALL THREE of your 5-week-old kittens just
didn't respond. Well?

Sherry