Cats in surgery today

Old October 12th 04, 08:05 PM
Phil P.

"kaeli" wrote in message

How might we know if a cat is in constant pain? They don't exactly tell us
about it. Stalwart creatures that they are, might they not just learn to

live
with it, seeing as how they don't have much of a choice?

How many cats who are declawed experience constant pain? We don't know.

Maybe
all. Maybe none. Maybe 50%.

Here's an excerpt from the chapter on onychectomy in Small Animal Surgery
(2nd ed) by Theresa Welch Fossum - one of the most widely used surgical
texts. Doesn't say "constant" pain - but temporary is bad enough since
there's no medical benefit for the cat:

"Complications (i.e., pain, hemorrhage, pad damage, lameness, swelling,
infection, claw regrowth, second phalanx protrusion, and palmargrade stance)
occur in 50% of patients. "

There's also the matter of privation that never seems to get the attention
it deserves. Cats enjoy scratching.

Phil

Old October 12th 04, 09:32 PM
Sherry

There's also the matter of privation that never seems to get the attention
it deserves. Cats enjoy scratching.

Phil

Yeah, that's a point that sometimes gets lost in the fray. Cats enjoy their
claws. They scratch because it exercises their limbs and paws, and it just
plain feels good. It's shameful to take that away from them.

Sherry

Old October 13th 04, 03:55 AM
Phil P.

"Sherry " wrote in message
There's also the matter of privation that never seems to get the

attention
it deserves. Cats enjoy scratching.

Phil

Yeah, that's a point that sometimes gets lost in the fray. Cats enjoy

their
claws. They scratch because it exercises their limbs and paws, and it just
plain feels good. It's shameful to take that away from them.

Sherry

I really get ****ed of every time I hear a declawer say "my cat still
scratches". Yeah, they go through the motion from instinct but they don't
get the enjoyment or benefit from digging their claws in and pulling back.
Its like doing a chin up without the bar or rowing without the oars.

The declawing surveys only address the clients' attitude towards the cats'
behavior. As long as the cat doesn't develop behavior or medical problems
that affect the owner, they're satisfied. What about the cat?

I think its a horrible thing to do to a trusting, sensitive individual.

Phil