Cats in surgery today

Old October 14th 04, 07:47 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

From the AMVA's web site:

There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral
abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that
of cats in control groups.

here's the link:

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415c.asp

[came on this late and the server doesn't have all the messages from the
thread, but just HAD to comment on this little blurb now that I have time

for
it]

I'd love to see the studies they did to lead them to this conclusion. I

note
that they posted no references to it (them?) at all. No studies anywhere

back up that claim. Hrmmm.

AFAIK, there have been no studies done with more than 100 cats in the

group
(that's a VERY small sample) and no studies not founded by people who make
money from the procedure. (if anyone has some, please tell me!)

Do you believe what the drug companies say about their own drugs, too?

Would
you believe Marlboro when they tell you that smoking isn't really that

bad -
there's no proof that smoking CAUSES cancer? That in fact, it's a
PREDISPOSING factor, but doesn't CAUSE it? Don't buy that? Would you go

look
it up? Look for studies to refute the claims? Why don't you do that to

these
guys? Or do you just believe what people tell you if you think they are
somehow in authority?

Take everything with a grain of salt. If your sole deciding factor on

whether
or not to declaw is this statement above, it's not a good one. Talk to

people
with declawed cats. Look at all the stuff online about people who've had
problems with their declawed cats. Compare that to people who've never had
problems. Many don't. Then decide if the risk is really worth it to you.

The
risk to your cats or the well-being of your furniture. If you decide on

the
latter, then decide what kind of person you really are. Should you even

have
cats? After all, you're the one who has to live with yourself. Well, and

your
cats. They have to live with what you've had done to them.

I do have to wonder about people who would declaw their cats when they

knew
going in that the animals had claws and they knew that declawing was
amputation. I mean, really, do you need someone else to tell you that

cutting
off body parts of living animals might be a tad immoral, in and of itself,
regardless of what might or might not go wrong with behavior or health?

Anyway, I hope your kitties end up with no problems at all, as many

certainly
don't have problems. You played Russian Roulette with them. I hope they

won.

Swindleho sucks.

Old October 14th 04, 09:50 PM
ceb

kaeli wrote in
:

I also had to promise not to eat her.

Is it wrong of me to laugh and spew soda out my nose at that?
I don't know why I find it so amusing that you had to agree not to eat
your dog. But I do. I'm going to hell now.

I'll see you there. I thought it was funny too.

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow

Old October 15th 04, 01:31 PM
PawsForThought

From: kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

From the AMVA's web site:

There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral
abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that
of cats in control groups.

here's the link:

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415c.asp

Oh, also from the AVMA's site...
They think it's okay to cut out the vocal chords of dogs if the owner can't
train it to be quiet, too.

Boy, I'm going to totally go with their opinions on everything now.
[that was sarcasm, in case anyone didn't catch it]

http://www.avma.org/policies/animalwelfare.asp#devocal
Canine Devocalization
Canine devocalization should only be performed by qualified, licensed
veterinarians as a final alternative after behavioral modification efforts to

correct excessive vocalization have failed.

Don't forget, these *******s make money off digit amputation and vocal cord
removal, so it's in their best interest to promote it
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old October 15th 04, 01:31 PM
PawsForThought

Old October 15th 04, 04:56 PM
kaeli

In article .net,
enlightened us with...
I look at my Sapphire when she pretends to sharpen her claws on the scratch
pads and I just wonder what she thinks about why she has no claws like the
other cats. I am so angry at whoever did this to her and then had her out
in the street for weeks, not even full grown, until I came across her.

It is 14 years later and she still pretends to sharpen those claws daily.
No one can tell me this doesn't bother her a lot. Other than that she is a
happy and wonderful cat. This mutilation was not necessary.

You know, I don't know if it's related at all, honestly, but our declawed
(front-only) cats were never as active as my cats are now.
My Mom's cat I jokingly refer to as a couch ornament. The others were all
similar. Some playing, of course, but mostly they sit around all day and gaze
out the window.

My cats climb, they play, they're, I don't know, more "cat", if you get what
I mean.
Whether this has anything at all do with with the declaw, I have no clue. He
does the fake sharpening thing, too.
My Mom is much less tolerant of the climbing and craziness than I am, though,
so it could just be in how she raises her cats.
Louie never climbs the bookshelves, he never jumps on the table or the
kitchen counter, he doesn't scale the curtains.
Could be because he's an only kitty, though, too. Could just be his normal
placid personality.

This is why it's hard to tell what aspects of behavior declawing affects.
Everything could be caused by something else, you know?

But I look at his big feet and I'm so sad that they're not whole. When I feel
them, they feel funny. Like little stumps. This is especially noticable when
I clip his back claws (Mom is afraid to do it).
Even if nothing at all would be different if he had front claws, it still
saddens me to know that someone did this to him on purpose.

~kaeli~
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and
three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals.
That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's
just that they need more supervision.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace