kittens & fleas

Old October 9th 04, 02:55 PM
Ken Phifer

Default kittens & fleas

We acquired 2 kittens this week - 2 months old and they have
fleas...Is there any problem with using a pyrethin flea powder on
them?

thanks

Ken
Old October 10th 04, 11:52 AM
Mimi Yeung

There is Frontline for kittens 3 months+, but I don't know of anything that
can be safely applied on kittens younger than that. For the time being, I
believe the best you can do is wash them with a mildly medicated shampoo
with an anti-flea formula.

Old October 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Frank Pittel

Ken Phifer wrote:
: We acquired 2 kittens this week - 2 months old and they have
: fleas...Is there any problem with using a pyrethin flea powder on
: them?

When the cats I've had and have had fleas I found that a flea comb worked the best.

I started combing my cats about nine years ago when my now deceased cats got fleas.
I first got them Hertz flea collars from the store and found that the fleas were
"hanging" out under the collar where they couldn't scratch. I brought them to the
vet were they gave me dips and bombs and nothing worked. Finally I saw a flea comb
at the local Walmart and desperat to do something I bought it. I combed them three
times a day for about two weeks. Once in the morning before work, once after work
and again before going to bed. After a few days they figured out that they felt better
after being combed and when I picked up the flea comb they both came running and
after a week fought over which one got combed first. They both LOVED being combed
for the rest of their lives.

At first when I combed them I would bring up and kill 10+ fleas. With time there were
fewer and fewer until there were none at all. I know that most of them weren't on
the cats at any given time but I figured nothing else worked and if I killed the fleas
faster then they could breed eventually I would kill them.

Since then Frontline and others have come out with drops to put on the skin behind the
shoulder blades. When I got a kitten ealrier this summer that was rescued from a train
yard it "came" with fleas. When I brought it to the vet I got the medication and I also
combed it.