Cat showing her belly to a dog: sign of friendship- or no fear?

Old April 6th 05, 03:35 PM

Default Cat showing her belly to a dog: sign of friendship- or no fear?

The funniest thing happened yesterday. The weather was nice so I had
the slider door open to the deck, with screen in place. My cat Ginger,
who is 11 and has never been around dogs, was looking out the door.
Along came the neighbor's dog, who is a huge Golden. He is about 1,
and friendly but doesnt react to cats. He came up on the deck, and
ginger watched him and sniffed him a bit through the screen. She
showed no fear and didnt hiss. Next thing you know, Miss Princess (as
Ginger is also known) rolled on her back and gave the dog a belly show.
I always assumed this was a sign of not being scared, and of
affection.

We were considering a dog one day, do you think this means there is
hope of her accepting one (although it would never be as big as a
golden!)
Beth

Old April 6th 05, 03:49 PM
Karen

I'd say you have a great chance, especially if you get a puppy and a nice
calm breed like a golden mix.

oups.com...

Old April 6th 05, 05:54 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
The funniest thing happened yesterday. The weather was nice so I had
the slider door open to the deck, with screen in place. My cat Ginger,
who is 11 and has never been around dogs, was looking out the door.
Along came the neighbor's dog, who is a huge Golden. He is about 1,
and friendly but doesnt react to cats. He came up on the deck, and
ginger watched him and sniffed him a bit through the screen. She
showed no fear and didnt hiss. Next thing you know, Miss Princess (as
Ginger is also known) rolled on her back and gave the dog a belly show.
I always assumed this was a sign of not being scared, and of
affection.

We were considering a dog one day, do you think this means there is
hope of her accepting one (although it would never be as big as a
golden!)
Beth

I think it is a sign of submission. The message seems to be
"don't kill me." My tabby does this with my husband--then
stretches out for a long pet-fest every single night. Cats are
most comfortable when they have established dominance.

They do not attach negative or positive values to it as we
might. (Just my take on things.)

Old April 7th 05, 06:27 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 12:29:19 -0400, "Priscilla H. Ballou"

The funniest thing happened yesterday. The weather was nice so I had
the slider door open to the deck, with screen in place. My cat Ginger,
who is 11 and has never been around dogs, was looking out the door.
Along came the neighbor's dog, who is a huge Golden. He is about 1,
and friendly but doesnt react to cats. He came up on the deck, and
ginger watched him and sniffed him a bit through the screen. She
showed no fear and didnt hiss. Next thing you know, Miss Princess (as
Ginger is also known) rolled on her back and gave the dog a belly show.
I always assumed this was a sign of not being scared, and of
affection.

We were considering a dog one day, do you think this means there is
hope of her accepting one (although it would never be as big as a
golden!)

A cat, when it rolls on its back, is also bringing its full complement
of weapons to ready status -- teeth and four paws worth of claws. ;-)

Exactly. A dog will roll onto his back as a sign of submission. A cat
will roll onto his back as a position to play or fight, depending on
the situation.

This can result in some miscomunication. When we got Jenny, our
rescued sheltie, she was sumbissive to everybody (even the turtles).
So, she would roll over and do her submissive routine. The cats
pounced on her.

It took a while for them to get most of the signals worked out.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old April 7th 05, 03:41 PM

I think it is a sign of submission. The message seems to be
"don't kill me." My tabby does this with my husband--then
stretches out for a long pet-fest every single night. Cats are
most comfortable when they have established dominance.

They do not attach negative or positive values to it as we
might. (Just my take on things.)

I think it can go both ways. Kittens do that when they're introduced to
the older cats, like "Look at me! I'm cute! Don't kill me!".
But then, Cherokee used to do that too. And he was 25 lbs. of
poodle-mauling attitude. I always thought the message there was, "Look
at me. I'm such a badass I"m exposing my most vulnerable part to you. I
double-dog dare you."

Sherry

Old April 7th 05, 10:24 PM
.oO rach Oo.

I have always read that when a cat shows their belly it means they are
completely comfortable and at ease. I also saw a zoo show where it's a kind
of flirty thing to do. I am sure she would allow a dog to live there too but
as long as she is boss and the dogs know this (as he will). On animal
planet's site, they rate dogs and cats and their friendliness to other
animals in the house. It might help with the dog picking.

--
..oO rach Oo.

oups.com...