Smokey been a BAAAD kitty! And a mini-update on the kittens....

Old January 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Smokey been a BAAAD kitty! And a mini-update on the kittens....

Could it be that Smokey has a bladder infection?
Lily & her mama

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Aaaargh!!!!

DH & I had just finished watching a DVD, and I looked to my left, where
Smokey was sitting near the front door, staring right at me. Then I noticed
that she was sitting oddly, with her back to the door and her behind not
touching the floor - and I said "*What* are you *doing*?", at which point
she hopped a few paces away from the door. I went over, and ran my hand
along the door, and sure enough - she *peed* on the door!!!!

I scooped her up and cradled her like a baby - which I might add, she
hates - called her every bad-kitty name in the book (the B-word being the
most prevalent), and then made up some more (Little Miss ****yPants being
one), and she is now locked in the bathroom by herself (there's a litterbox
in there, along with a drinkwell fountain, a fluffy rug to sleep on - unless
she's peed on that too!). She's complaining and rattling the doorknob (why?
she *loves* being left alone!). I suppose I'll let her out before I go to
bed.

But - this is *twice* she's been within five feet of me, and blatantly
looked directly at me, and peed on something! Today!!! The first time was
this morning, while I was on the Porcelain Throne, she strolled nonchalantly
into the bathroom, looked at me, and peed on a dirty towel that had been
left on the floor. This happened just out of my reach, or she would have
gotten a bap on the noggin.

I'm going to be watching her like a hawk in the future, and if she does it
again, she's liable to get a size 5.5 New Balance walking shoe imbedded in
her backside. I *know* she's healthy for her age (about 14), aside from a
hairball problem (she's the type of cat that's always shed enough hair every
day to knit another cat out of - if I knew how to knit), she's just doing it
out of spite! She would love to be an only cat, and we now have *twelve*!!!

Speaking of twelve, the kittens, Bam-Bam, Barney and Betty have been allowed
out into the rest of the house during the daytime, when we can watch to make
sure that Max the d-pet doesn't chomp on them (they're just a bit more than
a mouthful to him right now), but at night, they are in the bedroom with us.
Barney has been showing his climbing skills - climbed to the top of the
curtain that divides the living/dining room area - and it's 7 foot up to the
top of that! And also climbs up the coats on the back of the office door,
and perches on top of the doorway. Problem is - he then doesn't know how to
get down! Little Stinker!

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old January 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:52:46 -0500, "Magic Mood Jeep©"
wrote:

[...]

--?
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Hi MMJ,

Can you have her tested for a urinary tract infection? That may be why
she is peeing outside the box, and in front of you. She can't say
Mom, it hurts, but she can show that there is something wrong.

Good luck!
Patti
Old January 22nd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-21 19:41:42 -0600, Irulan said:

Could it be that Smokey has a bladder infection?
Lily & her mama

Or interstitial cystitis, which won't necessarily show anything on a
bacterial culture. It can resolve on its own too, so may only raise its
head periodically. Has this begun since the kids arrived? Often, new
stressors bring it on and 4 new kittens (even separated) might be
stressing her out abit. 14 *is* pretty geriatric. I really imagine it
is discomfort rather than anything else that causes it. Really!

Old January 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:41:42 -0500, Irulan wrote:

Could it be that Smokey has a bladder infection?
Lily & her mama

Exactly what I was thinking! When Miss DD used to do that, it was because
she had a bladder infection. It hurt to pee, and she didn't have any
other way to tell us so.

Sounds like a trip to the vet with Smokey might be in order.

Old January 22nd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-22, Magic Mood Jeep© penned:
- if I knew how to knit), she's just doing it out of spite! She
would love to be an only cat, and we now have *twelve*!!!

Maybe she really can't handle the stress of so many other pets in the
house. Maybe she would do better in a less crowded home.

If she's purposely choosing to pee in plain view, she's trying to tell
you something. I'd think less about punishing her and more about
understanding what's going on, because you are NOT going to train her
out of doing this by scolding or hitting her.

You know how some kids would rather receive negative attention than
none at all? They misbehave so that their parents will notice them.
Maybe that's what's going on. I don't know.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 22nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Yep, that's what I was thinking. When Persia had UTI's she peed on stuff
where I could see it. Turned out in the end she had bladder stones and a
bladder cyst. Surgery corrected it and now she's fat (!) and happy and pees
in the box and eats Hill's x/d.

Jill

Old January 22nd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

But - this is *twice* she's been within five feet of me, and blatantly
looked directly at me, and peed on something! Today!!! The first time was
this morning, while I was on the Porcelain Throne, she strolled nonchalantly
into the bathroom, looked at me, and peed on a dirty towel that had been
left on the floor. This happened just out of my reach, or she would have
gotten a bap on the noggin.////

Get her to TED and checked out for a UTI. If she's pee-ing in front of
you and not using her litterbox, she's trying to tell you something.

Helen M

Old January 24th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

touching the floor - and I said "*What* are you *doing*?", at which point
she hopped a few paces away from the door. I went over, and ran my hand
along the door, and sure enough - she *peed* on the door!!!!

Okay, the only times I've ever had a cat do that deliberately was when
they were sick or reminding me that it was time to clean the litterbox.
If you haven't already, take her straight to the vet. She's trying to
tell you something. If it's not a UTI, then maybe she's telling you
that she wants the litter box cleaned again. Fin(RB) was amazingly picky
about it, but Rita is much more laid back.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita