OT Dresden Files on Sci Fi

Old March 25th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default OT Dresden Files on Sci Fi

I know there are a lot of fans of this kind of thing out there. I never
watched other Urban Fantasy stuff, but this caught my attention. I
really like The Dresden Files. Watching the first episode led me to the
books and I really love those. HOwever, the TV show is very good in its
own right and entertaining. Paul Blackthorne portrays a perfect Harry
Dresden and is easy on the eyes to boot. Terry Mann is a delicious
ghost and the treatment of ghost instead of air spirit for the show
works really well. If you don't get the scifi channel you can buy these
off iTunes and I'm really enjoying that little aspect of the internet.
You just catch more being able to focus on it. I'm really praying they
pick this up for a second season. We won't know until probably may says
guy in the know Robert Wolfe. It's maybe a point for those of you who
loved Deep Space 9 that Wolfe and Beimler have a lot to do with this
show so you can expect some real quality. It's still developing but
its got such a good start that I think it can really become something.
It's on Sunday nights with replays at other times. I just wanted to
throw a plug in for it. I like it THAT much.

Old March 25th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

IT also replays on Friday nights sometimes also
I got hooked on heroes, stargate, battle star, Dresden files, and they are
doing a show I really like called special unit

Old March 25th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen wrote:

I know there are a lot of fans of this kind of thing out there. I never
watched other Urban Fantasy stuff, but this caught my attention. I
really like The Dresden Files.

So, what is the show *about*? I like fantasy, but a lot of the stuff on
the SciFi channel is just human conflict in space. Of course, involving
supposed non-humans, but they act a lot like humans, and they fight like
humans. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm just watching a Western or a
gangster show, just in a different and not particularly interesting
setting.

I hope that Dresden Files is very different from that!

Joyce
Old March 25th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Mar 25, 5:11 pm, wrote:
Karen wrote:

I know there are a lot of fans of this kind of thing out there. I never
watched other Urban Fantasy stuff, but this caught my attention. I
really like The Dresden Files.

So, what is the show *about*? I like fantasy, but a lot of the stuff on
the SciFi channel is just human conflict in space. Of course, involving
supposed non-humans, but they act a lot like humans, and they fight like
humans. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm just watching a Western or a
gangster show, just in a different and not particularly interesting
setting.

I hope that Dresden Files is very different from that!

Joyce

Harry Dresden is a wizard. A *real* wizard, the kind that uses potions
and magic to solve problems. He's the only practicing wizard in
Chicago, and he works with the police (well, part of it) to solve
crimes that they can't seem to figure out. I've been reading the
books, so I know all about his 'blasting stick' that he uses to focus
his power, and his staff - in the show, the blasting stick is a
drumstick (the wooden kind, not the chicken kind), and his staff is a
hockey stick. Very funny, but hey, whatever works, y'know?
He deals with demons and vampires and all of the supernatural nasties
in the world that regular people don't realize exists. He actually
has an office and an ad in the yellow pages - Harry Dresden, Wizard.

The books are very good. The show is okay, but the books are better
(as always).

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old March 25th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jane wrote:

Harry Dresden is a wizard. A *real* wizard, the kind that uses potions
and magic to solve problems. He's the only practicing wizard in
Chicago, and he works with the police (well, part of it) to solve
crimes that they can't seem to figure out... [snip]

Jane, thanks for the synopsis! That helps.

Joyce
Old March 25th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-03-25 16:11:31 -0500, said:

Karen wrote:

I know there are a lot of fans of this kind of thing out there. I

never watched other Urban Fantasy stuff, but this caught my
attention. I really like The Dresden Files.

So, what is the show *about*? I like fantasy, but a lot of the stuff on
the SciFi channel is just human conflict in space. Of course, involving
supposed non-humans, but they act a lot like humans, and they fight like
humans. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm just watching a Western or a
gangster show, just in a different and not particularly interesting
setting.

I hope that Dresden Files is very different from that!

Joyce

It's about a wizard (modern day) who operates as a private investigator
in Chicago. A lot of people describe it as Harry Potter meets Sam
Spade. Harry Dresden is a person who just has to do the right thing. He
has a good heart and can't stand seeing people in pain. His "sidekick"
is a 1000 year old ghost that is kind of like his computer. Harry can't
be around a lot of technology because it tends to short out. So Bob
(played by Terrence Mann) substitutes by remember all manner of things
over the last 1000 years and being an expert in potions and information
on the supernatural world. You can see a clip he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RdtinKKVPE

Old March 25th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-03-25 16:30:10 -0500, "Jane" said:

On Mar 25, 5:11 pm, wrote:
Karen wrote:

[...]

Definitely the books are better because there is time for all the
little details. But I was very impressed at how well they kept the feel
and especially how well Paul Blackthorne got Harry's personality down.
I think that Terry Mann does a great Bob, even if he is a corporeal
entity now. I can see that just a talking skull would have looked
REALLY cheesy on TV. I also don't think you would have gotten the
chemistry between Harry and Bob.

On a cat note, Harry has a gray 30 pound tomcat that he saved from a
dumpster as a kitten by the the name of Mister. Mister hasn't had much
of a presence in the show because it's a time eater. They did cast him
(an orange "stunt cat") but he's ended up on the cutting room floor
mostly. He also doesn't look as big as Mister because Paul is a very
big guy. Robert Wolfe says he is the only trained cat in Toronto. His
one trick is to sit on a newspaper and stay but that he does that VERY
well. They hope to work more of him in, but time is hard on a TV show.

Old March 25th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen wrote:

On a cat note, Harry has a gray 30 pound tomcat

Yikes!!

Mister. Mister hasn't had much
of a presence in the show because it's a time eater.

What do you mean, a "time eater"? Do you mean the running time of the
show? Or the time it takes to get animals on film the right way, the re-
takes, etc?

He also doesn't look as big as Mister because Paul is a very
big guy.

Is the orange cat 30 lbs??

Robert Wolfe says he is the only trained cat in Toronto. His
one trick is to sit on a newspaper and stay but that he does that VERY
well. They hope to work more of him in, but time is hard on a TV show.

Do you remember that show "Early Edition", the one where the guy gets
the next day's newspaper, and when he reads of someone dying in an accident
or whatever, he goes off to prevent it from happening? The paper is always
"delivered" by an orange cat, and is signaled by the cat's loud meow. That
doesn't take much time from the show, but it add a lot of character IMO.

Joyce

--
To reply privately, take the X's out of my user ID.
Old March 26th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-03-25 17:51:02 -0500, said:

Karen wrote:

On a cat note, Harry has a gray 30 pound tomcat

Yikes!!

Mister. Mister hasn't had much of a presence in the show because

it's a time eater.

What do you mean, a "time eater"? Do you mean the running time of the
show? Or the time it takes to get animals on film the right way, the re-
takes, etc?

Screen time. They have 42 minutes to tell the story, and Mister is
mostly color for character.

He also doesn't look as big as Mister because Paul is a very big guy.

Is the orange cat 30 lbs??

Supposedly, though I kind of doubt he is THAT big.

Robert Wolfe says he is the only trained cat in Toronto. His one

trick is to sit on a newspaper and stay but that he does that VERY
well. They hope to work more of him in, but time is hard on a TV show.

Do you remember that show "Early Edition", the one where the guy gets
the next day's newspaper, and when he reads of someone dying in an accident
or whatever, he goes off to prevent it from happening? The paper is always
"delivered" by an orange cat, and is signaled by the cat's loud meow. That
doesn't take much time from the show, but it add a lot of character IMO.

I do remember that show. Hopefully, down the road they will be able to
do more of something like that. When Mister DID make his appearance in
one show, people were posting all over "MISTER!!!" so I think the
powers that be realize he would be really welcome to fans.

Joyce

Old March 26th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Matthew" wrote in message
IT also replays on Friday nights sometimes also
I got hooked on heroes, stargate, battle star, Dresden files, and they are
doing a show I really like called special unit

Special Unit was originally a summer replacement on CBS (IIRC) back when
they were using their imaginations. I loved it. It was one of the reasons
I really wanted to get cable back. Rob is currently watching Amazing Race.
Mine is the only bedroom without cable, and I rarely like to watch what
everyone else has on. Sigh. Three rooms one tier price, four rooms much
more expensive.

I still remember the episode of Special Unit where they had to beat the
banshee or whatever monster it was to get information. It was so funny.

Pam S. who has a warped sense of humor