OT - Cards for Brooke?

Old February 5th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - Cards for Brooke?

For those of you who wouldn't mind doing so, I'd really appreciate it if you
could send a card to Brooke. She's terrified of all that's happening (she'd
never before been sick a day in her life and this is her first experience
with being in a hospital). I think getting cards from all over the world
would cheer her up a lot. If you email me offline (for obvious reasons, I'd
rather not post the address on UseNet), I'll send you her full name, the
room number and the address of Children's Hospital.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 5th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
For those of you who wouldn't mind doing so, I'd really appreciate it if you
could send a card to Brooke. She's terrified of all that's happening (she'd
never before been sick a day in her life and this is her first experience
with being in a hospital). I think getting cards from all over the world
would cheer her up a lot. If you email me offline (for obvious reasons, I'd
rather not post the address on UseNet), I'll send you her full name, the
room number and the address of Children's Hospital.

You can send me the address and I'll mail a card.

Cheryl
Old February 5th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
For those of you who wouldn't mind doing so, I'd really appreciate it if
you could send a card to Brooke. She's terrified of all that's happening
(she'd never before been sick a day in her life and this is her first
experience with being in a hospital). I think getting cards from all over
the world would cheer her up a lot. If you email me offline (for obvious
reasons, I'd rather not post the address on UseNet), I'll send you her
full name, the room number and the address of Children's Hospital.

I would be happy to send her a card, but will it get there from the UK
before she is out of hospital? If you think so, you know my e-mail address
so send me the address.
I know how much getting cards from all over the world helps when you've been
diagnosed with something scary and are in hospital.
How old is she, btw? I want to be sure I say something appropriate to her
age.
Tweed

Old February 5th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I sent it. Unfortunately, she is going to be there for quite a while
(and if for some reason, she isn't, the hospital will forward it). They put
in a "central line" yesterday when she was under anesthesia and they were
doing the removal of 90% of the lymph node in her right shoulder for biopsy
(to see how far the cancer has spread), taking a bone marrow sampling, and
doing a biopsy of the mass. That way they won't have to keep sticking her
and "blow out" her veins.

They're going to start chemo right away - as soon as they determine the
exact type of cancer she has and can target that. And because the tumor is
as large as her heart and pressing down on her heart, arteries and airway,
they're not going to take the chance of her going home until she's out of
imminent danger.

Brooke turned 17 in November of last year.

I really grateful for everyone who has asked for the address and is sending
a card. It's so hard for even an adult to be in the hospital and face the
terrifying prospect of what she's going through. Getting cards from all
over the world will help keep her spirits up.

I'm going to be flying down there tomorrow morning (at last!!!), and I'll be
sure to tell her about all the wonderful people who are praying for her and
wishing her well.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 5th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I believe you told us she is in a Childrens Specialty Hospital
(correct me if
that's not true). I worked in one for 5 years in the 80's and assume
that general
patient care has not downgraded much. Where I worked, unless children
were
either unable - too sick or recovering from surgery or under some
quarantine or
other - the patients were free to roam to several depts. set up
especially for
their distraction and entertainment, includng PC access. Some of them
knew
me, as I had xrayed them frequently, and I was happy to explain the
control
panel to them, as were the rads to explain the viewbox and its films
hung up.
I know exactly wat is going on...and why. If Brooke has a yahoo or
hotmail or
gmail addy, now that I see she's old enough to likely have one....she
will not
be in that bed any longer than it takes to recover from the surgery
she had.
Adults are happy to stay in hospital beds. Kids are not happy bed
prisoners
no matter what their medical problem is; where I worked they roamed
freely,
hauling their chemo bags and transfusion bags along, thumping against
their
wheeled i.v. poles. I see no reason why that facility would differ
greatly, policy-wise.
A childrens specialty hospital is not what you and I are used to as
adults.

============================

I'm glad to hear that! Children's Hospital in NO is associated with M.D.
Anderson here in Houston and also with East Jefferson (where's she's going
today to have the PET scan done) - so I know she'll have the very best
medical care. But it's good to know that they provide activities to keep
the children's minds off their illness.

Hugs,

CatNipped

OT - Update on Brooke CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 February 5th 09 12:03 AM
Help AGSR rescue Brooke, a German Shepherd dog [email protected] Cat anecdotes 3 January 15th 09 01:22 AM
Cards, cards, and more cards. Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 9 December 19th 05 04:05 PM
So many cards! CATherine Cat anecdotes 3 December 18th 05 05:26 AM
Cards away! Marina Cat anecdotes 13 January 1st 05 03:56 AM