New Zealand: most peaceful nation

Old June 4th 09, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default New Zealand: most peaceful nation

Lucky Bev - she lives in the most peaceful nation in the world!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ceful-us-83rd/

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 5th 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Lucky Bev - she lives in the most peaceful nation in the world!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ceful-us-83rd/

Some time back in the 1ate 1980s, the OECD did a comparative crime
survey of all its member nations (these surveys ask random samples
of the population about their experiences - they disregard police
reports and criminal convictions). Australia and New Zealand ranked
a LONG way ahead of any other developed nations in the likelihood
you had of being personally a victim of violent crime. (The US and
Canada were some way behind, all of Europe a long behind still).
The violence was less likely to lead to a lethal outcome, or do some
other kind of damage the law couldn't ignore, probably because it
didn't involve guns (or any weapons at all, in general). But that
characterization of NZ as a place where people are *far* more likely
to settle arguments with their fists than anywhere else certainly
matches my experience growing up there.

The survey reported in that story was slanted in exactly the opposite
direction. Terrorism, phooey. (And you have wonder what hidden agenda
that Korean-funded fascist newspaper had in mind).

In seven years of living in Auckland, I was once punched to the ground
by a group of complete strangers, was once run over deliberately by a
car (spent weeks with my ankle strapped up) and on another occasion had
a maniac try to throw me through a plateglass shop window. Which is
three more violent attacks than I've had in all the rest of my life put
together. None of those ever featured in crime statistics.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old June 5th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this info, Jack. I'll pass it back to the person who sent me
that link.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 10th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ollie2

I did hear about New Zealand being the most peaceful nation but found it
difficult to believe.

I live in a small city called Napier which has its share of murders and
bashings.

For instance, a few weeks ago a cop went calling to a house a couple of
suburbs away from us in the hill area. He was looking for cannabis and
the woman of the house made him a cup of tea while they waited for her
partner to come home. When the partner arrived home he sneaked into the
house through a side door where he had a massive hoard of guns in a bedroom,
took a loaded one and when the cop walked out the door the man shot him in
the back and killed him. Two other cops came running up from the car and
he shot them and badly wounded them as well as a by-stander who tried to
wrestle the gun from him. He had an arsonal of guns and bullets and kept
firing wildly at every house. People in the whole area were evacuated and
he held out for several days. He had explosives in the house and the
police were scared of being blown up. The two cops and the by-stander were
lucky to survive and the gunman finally took his own life.

Sometimes people come here with the idea that it is very safe to walk the
streets late at night etc. Not so,
victims are often overseas visitors.

Sorry to ruin the image of paradise.

Bev
PS The mostly likely weapons are knives not fists as suggested.