Calico vs. black-and-white

Old August 24th 03, 10:00 PM
m. L. Briggs

Default Calico vs. black-and-white

On 24 Aug 2003 19:57:47 GMT,
(BricksInTheWall8) wrote:

Hello everyone.

I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with a
lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's mean
and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites me
hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me. It's
not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed sometimes,
and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in the
same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack them. I
figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.

But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but then I
started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my cat
and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small kittens,
one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched her. And
all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.

So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect on
its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
responsibility for, if that is the case.)

Perhaps she would rather be a mouser on a farm somewhere. Maybe
confinement inhibits her activities so she takes it out on you. Do
you have any idea what her former home was like?
Old August 24th 03, 10:16 PM
Nanny

I had a tortie for almost 17 years, and she also had a very special
character. When she was still a kitten I had to teach her to be petted with
my face, as she'd go into full attack mode, claws and teeth, when I used my
hands. With a lot of patience I got her so far that I could also pet her
with my hands, but often when I stroked her from head to tail she'd turn
around fast and hit me, then turned back again for the next stroke :-)
She really was a loving cat, she just had some strange ideas.......... and
I've heard the same from other people about their torties/calico's.

--
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"BricksInTheWall8" schreef in bericht

Old August 24th 03, 10:34 PM
Christine Burel

"BricksInTheWall8" wrote in message
[...]

I have had several people tell me that calicos/tortiseshells are a little
"squirrely" but don't know this from personal experience. I've also heard
that orange male kitties are sweet and mellow -- my personal experience here
is that Frodo (RB) fit this description to a T; Omar is sweet and mostly
mellow, and Tucker (my work in progress) can be a love muffin but he's not
mellow, at least not yet, and gets wound up easily. I also had a cat
behaviorist tell me that black cats are "quirky" -- she said Midnight was my
"gifted" kitty and she was right about that -- tooo smart. Robin, who is
also black is quite a character. Haven't heard anything specific about
black & white kitites.
Christine

Old August 24th 03, 11:44 PM
Yoj

"Christine Burel" wrote in message

[...]

I've had only one black and white. He was such a love bug, we named him
Herbie. He was awfully affectionate as a kitten, and would often curl
up on your ear or against the top of your head to sleep at night. He
got much less affectionate as he grew older, although he was never mean.

Joy

Old August 25th 03, 02:13 AM
Kim Walters

[...]

I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them is
they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.

--
-Kim

owned by Egbert, Niobe, Sekhar and Rocket

one cat just leads to another...

http://photos.yahoo.com/sir_eg_of_bert

Old August 25th 03, 02:58 AM
Stacey

I was thinking that I didn't know any calicos so I couldn't help... but then
I remembered my sister's whacko cat is a calico. Whoo boy.. moody to a T..
loves my sister and loves her black lab but anyone else is simply there to
feed her then get the hell out of her face. She's declawed (before my sister
got her from the pound), thank GOD, because otherwise she would have killed
someone by now!!! You can pet her for like a millisecond and then WHAM full
kill mode.

Gotta go... the Restaraunt is on.

Stacey (who's two b&w's are sweet, 'cept Mr. Bob can be a real ****er)

Old August 25th 03, 08:14 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

My Ivy was a calico, and the sweetest cat I've ever known. didn't like to
be held, but would lay on me & PURRR whenever I lay on the sofa to watch TV,
or if I lay on the bed to read. She hid whenever anyone new came to the
house, but if you were here long enough or often enough, you got your lap
warmed by her.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old August 25th 03, 03:47 PM
Victor M. Martinez

It might have to do with gender though. Most calicos are females and most
orange tabbies are males. In my experience, males tend to be more affectionate
than females.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv