Cranberry juice as a treatment for cystitis.

Old August 28th 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

Default Cranberry juice as a treatment for cystitis.

I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
Will they just slurp it up?
Catman

Old August 28th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Aug, 10:33, Catman 07 wrote:
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
Will they just slurp it up?
Catman

god knows, but i do know you can get treats from some pet shops which
have cranberry stuff in them, dont; know the make but 'pets at home'
sell them for sure. I have never bought them so don;t know what cats
think of them.

i would have thought that cranberry juice by itself would be too sharp
for pusses to like, maybe if you dilute it?
bookie

Old August 28th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:34:02 -0400, "cindys"
wrote:

"bookie" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 28 Aug, 10:33, Catman 07 wrote:
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
Will they just slurp it up?
Catman

god knows, but i do know you can get treats from some pet shops which
have cranberry stuff in them, dont; know the make but 'pets at home'
sell them for sure. I have never bought them so don;t know what cats
think of them.

Well, I know I think it's ridiculous. Someone (maybe on this group) once
quipped: "Do you see packs of feral cats hanging out in cranberry bogs?"
(Must be related to the African lions who kidnap dairy cows because they
need the milk :-).

i would have thought that cranberry juice by itself would be too sharp
for pusses to like, maybe if you dilute it?

Even if you dilute it, it's incredibly sour. That's why commercial cranberry
juice has so much sugar added.
Best regards,

So, what if the juice is sweetened with aspartame or splenda? Are
those safe for cats?
Catman

---Cindy S.

Old August 29th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
johnnaoleary via CatKB.com

Hi Catman, I'm assuming that you've had your cat to the vet and are using the
appropriate medical treatments (antibiotics, special diet etc.). Cranberry
was one of many things I used to cope with my kitty's recurring UTI. Once we
got it treated and the infection went away, I began to use cranberry extract
as a preventative measure. I didn't give him juice though. There is actually
very little of whatever makes cranberry good for the urinary tract in
cranberry juice. Instead of the juice, I would use a cranberry extract. It
can be bought in any pharmacy or health food store. If you get the capsules,
they can be opened up and the powder inside can be mixed in the cat's food.
This is obviously easier if you're feeding wet food, which you should be if
your cat is prone to urinary tract problems. My cat didn't even notice it in
his food. Best of luck!!

Old August 29th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:23:21 GMT, "johnnaoleary via CatKB.com"
u3166@uwe wrote:
Catman 07 wrote:
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis. If so, how do you get your cat to take it?
Will they just slurp it up?
Catman

Hi Catman, I'm assuming that you've had your cat to the vet and are using the
appropriate medical treatments (antibiotics, special diet etc.). Cranberry
was one of many things I used to cope with my kitty's recurring UTI. Once we
got it treated and the infection went away, I began to use cranberry extract
as a preventative measure. I didn't give him juice though. There is actually
very little of whatever makes cranberry good for the urinary tract in
cranberry juice.

The first ingredient on the BEST cranberry juice I could find is:
WATER. So how much actually cranberry is in it is unknown. Probably as
little as the manufacturer can get away with.

Instead of the juice, I would use a cranberry extract. It
can be bought in any pharmacy or health food store. If you get the capsules,
they can be opened up and the powder inside can be mixed in the cat's food.
This is obviously easier if you're feeding wet food, which you should be if
your cat is prone to urinary tract problems.

I've switched to canned food, and I will be trying raw food. I find it
very regrettable that there are no WARNING labels on dry cat food, and
the vets endorsement on the dry food package is ridiculous, imho.

My cat didn't even notice it in his food. Best of luck!!

Thanks for the headsup on cranberry extract, John(?).
Catman

Old August 30th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Catman 07" wrote in message
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis.

I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.

Old August 31st 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:17:07 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Catman 07" wrote in message
.. .
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis.

I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.

Phil, I respect your opinion greatly. You are held in high esteem.
Thanks for the headsup. I'll use the cranberry juice, and the
cranberries, on myself.
Catman

Old September 1st 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Catman 07" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:17:07 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Catman 07" wrote in message
.. .
I'm wondering if any has had any experience with cranberry juice as a
treatment for cystitis.

I don't care what you've heard- its not a good idea. Cranberries are very
high in benzoic acid- which is toxic to cats in high doses.

Phil, I respect your opinion greatly. You are held in high esteem.
Thanks for the headsup. I'll use the cranberry juice, and the
cranberries, on myself.
Catman

Cranberries claim to fame is in the treatment of UTIs (not FIC) and isn't
what you think- Its not acidification of the urine- because in cats, the
added acidification isn't that much- at least not enough to make a
difference. Its because some component in cranberries might help prevent
pathogenic E. Coli from adhering to the bladder wall lining.

I don't know the long-term effects of chronic ingestion of benzoic acid or
if its cumulative- So, I wouldn't give it to my cats.

Cats and Juice Gizmo Cats - misc 0 July 26th 06 09:06 AM
Cranberry Juice and cats? Rhino Cat health & behaviour 1 December 4th 05 12:06 PM
Tuna Juice Okay? Chris Cat health & behaviour 7 October 3rd 05 05:52 PM
Best way to use clam juice in a DRF diet? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 June 7th 05 07:42 PM
Butt juice badwilson Cat anecdotes 8 January 21st 05 04:48 AM