Advice needed: male cat with urinary tract infection

Old February 10th 04, 11:25 PM
Theresa

Default Advice needed: male cat with urinary tract infection

Please help. My male cat has had a urinary tract infection since last
September. The vet has treated him with Baytril and Clavamax. neither
has cleared it up. I am pretty upset with the treatment he has
received because I don't the doctor has been agressive enough. last
week after another urinalysis, the vet said to just continue him on
the baytril. I refused and brought him to the office for further
treatment options. This was last Friday. he was kept overnight and
given x rays and further urinalysis to grow a culture to see just
what is going on. This is Tuesday Night and I have yet to be called
back with the results. The vet is usually very poor about returning
phone calls and I only get to talk to the office help.
What should I do? By now, I have no faith in the vet or his concern
for animals. I'm scared for my cat. how long does it take to grow a
culture?
Thanks for listening. Please offer advice
Old February 10th 04, 11:28 PM
Steve Crane

"Theresa" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Did your vet suggest changing food type to canned or changing to a special
diet designed for this? Assuming your vet diagnosed the type of crystal by
examining it in the microscope - did you determine if the crystals were
struvite or calcium oxalate? What were you feeding the cat prior to the
infection?

Old February 11th 04, 12:11 AM
blkcatgal

If you have lost confidence in your vet, you may want to take your cat to
another vet for a second opinion.

Sue

om...

Old February 11th 04, 05:10 PM
Theresa

"Steve Crane" wrote in message news:QOdWb.22962$EW.13174@okepread02...
"Theresa" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My cat eats only dry food: 3 kinds: dental diet, hairball diet, and
urinary tract diet. he drinks distilled water. don't know about
crystals because I don't know if they were ever addressed. When i take
in a urine sample I hear that there is still bacteria and blood in the
urine. Just continue the baytril this is wednesday--x rays and a
culture were done last Friday or Saturday morning. The vet has not
called me back. I will robably take him elsewhere but we live in a
small town and I don't have many options. I will probably have to take
him to the nearest big city. anyone know a top notch vet in Buffalo,
Ny?