Vino update?

Old July 17th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default Vino update?

Doesn't seem like we've heard in a while. Or did I miss it?

Old July 17th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Karen wrote:
Doesn't seem like we've heard in a while. Or did I miss it?

I posted one yesterday in the Ping Britta thread.
Vino is doing well, looks like he's recovering. He lost quite a bit of
weight but is eating more every day. He loves to be out in the yard but
is spending more time basking in the sun than running around. Being out
there is increasing his appetite because he eats every time he comes
inside. So that's good.
We are watching his litterbox habits very carefully. He didn't poop for
a long time but had a big poop yesterday. He only peed once yesterday
but I just heard him pee this morning. He isn't drinking as much water
as he used to, I hope he starts drinking more.
He has really turned into a heat seeking missile and lately he loves
nothing more than lying on top of Dennis or me in the evenings and in
bed.
So far so good!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 17th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
Doesn't seem like we've heard in a while. Or did I miss it?

I posted one yesterday in the Ping Britta thread.
Vino is doing well, looks like he's recovering. He lost quite a bit of
weight but is eating more every day. He loves to be out in the yard but
is spending more time basking in the sun than running around. Being out
there is increasing his appetite because he eats every time he comes
inside. So that's good.
We are watching his litterbox habits very carefully. He didn't poop for a
long time but had a big poop yesterday. He only peed once yesterday but I
just heard him pee this morning. He isn't drinking as much water as he
used to, I hope he starts drinking more.
He has really turned into a heat seeking missile and lately he loves
nothing more than lying on top of Dennis or me in the evenings and in bed.
So far so good!

Is this his first winter? Or the first one he remembers?

We have the most luck getting the cats to drink with a clear glass and some
ice. Or maybe since we can see what they are drinking it seems like more.

Jo

Old July 17th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Put water bowls ALL over. And even some at different heights. All mine seem
to like ones that are raised about 3 inches best. Glad he seems to be doing
well.

Old July 17th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

badwilson wrote:
Karen wrote:
Put water bowls ALL over. And even some at different heights. All
mine seem to like ones that are raised about 3 inches best. Glad he
seems to be doing well.

We have about 5 water bowls around the house and 1 outside. I've only
ever seen him use the one in the bathroom. In Thailand he used to
drink out of the one on the kitchen counter, but here, he doesn't
really go on the counter at all. I think he also drinks less because
it's cold out. I try to put lukewarm water out because I know he
doesn't like it too cold. He likes to lick the water off the bottom
of the shower too.
We are starting him on 1 month of s/d tomorrow, after that, c/d. I
hope he eats it, it cost us almost $100 for a month's food!

Have you noticed with water bowls, they'll walk past two or three of them to
get to the one they've decided to drink from? :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old July 17th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Winnie wrote:
badwilson wrote:

We have about 5 water bowls around the house and 1 outside. I've
only ever seen him use the one in the bathroom. In Thailand he used
to drink out of the one on the kitchen counter, but here, he doesn't
really go on the counter at all. I think he also drinks less
because it's cold out. I try to put lukewarm water out because I
know he doesn't like it too cold. He likes to lick the water off
the bottom of the shower too.
We are starting him on 1 month of s/d tomorrow, after that, c/d. I
hope he eats it, it cost us almost $100 for a month's food!

I don't recall S/D costing that much. It must be from the long
distance shipping from U.S. I know Hill's I/D price kept going out
(twice in a year) and they blamed it on the higher cost of for
shipping, even though the CDN $ has risen against the U.S$. I was
glad to switch to a Canadian prescription diet. But that won't help
you in Australia. Is there any Australian made prescription cat food
for struvites?

Winnie

No, Hill's is it. As far as I know, there is no Australian made pet
food, except supermarket stuff.
It was $50 for 1.8 kg of kibble and $43 for 24 cans. This is Aussie
dollars, which is about 15% less than CDN. So it works out to about $79
CDN altogether (US$70).
Vino's not usually picky about food. So now that he's back on the
eating track after his illness, I hope he will eat this stuff. We are
starting first thing in the morning.

Old July 17th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

badwilson wrote:

No, Hill's is it. As far as I know, there is no Australian made pet
food, except supermarket stuff.
It was $50 for 1.8 kg of kibble and $43 for 24 cans. This is Aussie
dollars, which is about 15% less than CDN. So it works out to about $79
CDN altogether (US$70).

That's not too bad. I paid around $48 CDN (including PST & GST) for 24
cans of Hill's I/D.
I thought you meant $100 for just a case of 24 cans. The vets didn't
prescribe S/D dry,
just can for Rusty. Actually Rusty hasn't been given any dry food after
his 2nd blockage
back in 1998.
There is Medi-Cal brand of prescription food that is made in Canada. It
has similar versions
to S/D and C/D. Rusty was on its Preventive formula which is the
equivalent of C/D for a
long time. The vet told me an Amercian company, I think it Heinz bought
Medi-Cal. But I presumed it is still manufactured in Canada. So
hopefully there is no exchange rate or long distance shipping to make
the price go up. They are cheaper than Hill's.

Vino's not usually picky about food. So now that he's back on the
eating track after his illness, I hope he will eat this stuff. We are
starting first thing in the morning.

It is C/D that I heard many cats won't eat. One poster was surpristed
Rusty ate it no problem. Rusty hasn't refused any prescription food
yet, except when he was on antibiotics.
Continue purrs to Vino from a fellow orange old boy who had many bouts
of crystals in his 9 lives. Rusty is most sympathetic. His vet said he
has seen many orange cats have
crytals. I presume it is because most orange cats are male. He also
said many of his
patients were on IAM when they became blocked. Rusty was on IAM ocean
fish when he
first got blocked. I know fish is not good for this condition.

Winnie

Old July 17th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Winnie wrote:
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Seems that they mostly feed dry here in Australia. The vet said we
could just add water to the dry and microwave it, but I'm not buying
into that philosophy. Vino likes canned best and eats it most. But I
like to have a bowl of kibble down for him to snack on when we're
sleeping or away.

Vino's not usually picky about food. So now that he's back on the
eating track after his illness, I hope he will eat this stuff. We
are starting first thing in the morning.

It is C/D that I heard many cats won't eat. One poster was surpristed
Rusty ate it no problem. Rusty hasn't refused any prescription food
yet, except when he was on antibiotics.
Continue purrs to Vino from a fellow orange old boy who had many bouts
of crystals in his 9 lives. Rusty is most sympathetic. His vet said he
has seen many orange cats have
crytals. I presume it is because most orange cats are male. He also
said many of his
patients were on IAM when they became blocked. Rusty was on IAM ocean
fish when he
first got blocked. I know fish is not good for this condition.

Winnie

Argh, I hope he eats the c/d when the time comes.
Vino ate Iams for the first 3 years of his life. Once we moved to
Thailand, he also ate some Science Diet and a little bit of Whiskas
interspersed to stretch the other stuff. He never had any problems at
all. All of Dennis' childhood cats were raised on Iams and never had
any problems. Vino doesn't really like any seafood food, so I only ever
get him chicken and beef type flavours.
Since getting over here, I have to admit that I've been only feeding him
Whiskas canned, but Iams dry. I hope that wasn't the cause. I heard
that the Aussie supermarket food is much better than similar in North
America. But who really knows?
After he's off the s/d and the c/d, I will no longer feed him any
supermarket food.

Old July 17th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
Put water bowls ALL over. And even some at different heights. All
mine seem to like ones that are raised about 3 inches best. Glad he
seems to be doing well.

We have about 5 water bowls around the house and 1 outside. I've only
ever seen him use the one in the bathroom. In Thailand he used to drink
out of the one on the kitchen counter, but here, he doesn't really go on
the counter at all. I think he also drinks less because it's cold out.

My two certainly drink less when it's cold. I have one indoor bowl, one
outside the back door and the birdbath (which they often prefer.)

I try to put lukewarm water out because I know he doesn't like it too
cold. He likes to lick the water off the bottom of the shower too.
We are starting him on 1 month of s/d tomorrow, after that, c/d. I hope
he eats it, it cost us almost $100 for a month's food!

How much is that in English money? About 50 pounds? That sounds quite a
lot. If you are buying it from your vet don't forget that they take a huge
mark-up. Try and access a supplier on line, if you need a prescription from
the vet and you have to pay for it, it will probably still be cheaper.

Tweed

overflow.
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Newest Vino update badwilson Cat anecdotes 30 July 11th 06 10:14 PM
Vino update badwilson Cat anecdotes 9 July 9th 06 05:29 PM
Britta and Vino update Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 7 April 21st 06 10:32 PM
Vino is getting more and more daring badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 December 4th 03 09:39 AM
Vino barks up the wrong tree badwilson Cat anecdotes 7 October 17th 03 01:36 AM