distemper question

Old March 4th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane[_2_]

Default distemper question

I have an indoor cat. He never comes in contact with any other
animals. I took him to the vet where he got rabies and distemper
shots, each supposedly good for three years.

A few weeks later I get a call from the vet saying he has to come back
for a distemper booster. They said that the current vaccine was
missing something and in order for it to be effective he needed the
booster. They said this booster would "only" cost me $30.

I was really ****ed. First of all they never mentioned a booster when
I was there. Secondly the cat is a basket case when I take him to the
vet and he always gets sick from the distemper shots.

They said that next year the vaccine would contain everything. I told
them I 'd wait until next year when he gets his annual checkup. They
said they would mark the record to indicate I had refused treatment.
They made it sound like I was abusing my animal.

Question: how does a cat get distemper? I would rather wait the year
when I take him for a checkup than put him through another vet visit
if possible.

Old March 4th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Mar 4, 8:30*am, Jane wrote:
I have an indoor cat. *He never comes in contact with any other
animals. *I took him to the vet where he got rabies and distemper
shots, each supposedly good for three years.

IMO, I would not go back for the supposed booster. If your cat is
strictly indoors and an only animal, the chances of him getting
distemper are next-to-nothing. I too stopped vaccinating my cats (one
due to severe reactions, the other because he's had some serious
medical problems). I had a titer panel done on my older one and it
showed that,even though he hasn't been vaccinated in 3+ years, he
still has immunity to all the major diseases from his core set of
vaccines.
Old March 5th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane[_2_]

Thanks everyone. I'm going to pass on the "booster". I also think
these shots are a rip off but wanted to check to be sure.
Old March 5th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Jane,

I would get another opinion from a vet. When kittens first get the
distemper vaccine, they get one shot, then a follow-up a certain amount
of time later (I forget -- a few weeks I think.) After that, their
resistance to the virus is bolstered for about 3 years. It may be even
longer, but our vet suggests 3 years on distemper instead of the 1 year
in past times.

Anyway, of all the vaccines, I'd make sure he gets a good start with
distemper prevention. They can pick up that virus about anywhere, not
just from contact with other cats. I've heard it's in dirt and almost
every surface. It lives a long time.

The vet thinks the pregnant stray we picked up a few years ago had
distemper while pregnant. We are lucky, she survived. The kittens were
born with various neurological problems but most did pretty well.

Good luck, and I would talk this all over with a vet you trust.

Rhonda

Old March 5th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Matthew wrote:

Look a lot of people get them done. I know people say there is no chance of
exposure but there is a chance there is always a chance.

Yes, I agree. I'm sure most are exposed to distemper at some time. It's
just not like FelV.

Rhonda

Old March 5th 08, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

How old is your cat. Adult cats don't get "distemper" unless they have a
severely compromised immune system. Parvovirus infection in adult cats is
very rare- and when it does occur, its almost always subclinical.

If the cat is over 6-12 months the "distemper" (Parvovirus/ panleukopenia)
vaccination is good for at least *8 years* and probably for life. The only
reason why kittens under 12-16 weeks require 2 or 3 "boosters" is because
maternal antibodies interfere with the vaccine. The purpose of spacing the
"boosters" 3 weeks apart, is to break through the maternal antibodies as
they wane. By 12-16 weeks, all the maternal antibodies dissipate.

Forget the FeLV vaccine.

Phil

Old March 6th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane[_2_]

Jane wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ronda but I think I'm all set. First of all he got a distemper
shot 2 years ago. At that time they said he didn't need another for 3
years. The reason he got another this year was so the rabies and
distemper would be on the same schedule. My vet is very pricey and I
don't want to go more often than I have to. So - no matter what he's
protected for another year.

Also - I just don't see how he could pick up anything. He never goes
outside. I never have other animals here. If I even pet another cat
I always clean with Purell before I go home. I've always done that
because I don't want him to catch anything.
Old March 6th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jane[_2_]

Jane wrote:
[...]

I guess you ignored my links I posted about distemper and low cost
vaccinations

at least the furball lucky still is protected for at least another year :-)

I did look at your link but I didn't see anything about low cost
vaccinations. In any case chances are I wouldn't be able to do it. I
have a back injury which prevents me from traveling too far. Also I
cannot wait on a line because I can't stand or sit for more than a few
minutes. There are several vets around here but they are all very
expensive.
Old March 6th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jane" wrote

I did look at your link but I didn't see anything about low cost
vaccinations. In any case chances are I wouldn't be able to do it. I
have a back injury which prevents me from traveling too far. Also I
cannot wait on a line because I can't stand or sit for more than a few
minutes. There are several vets around here but they are all very
expensive.

I had you pegged as one of these assholes from the first post.

You don't **** around with distemper. Period.

Distemper Warning for Dog Owners jofirey Cat anecdotes 0 February 13th 08 04:24 PM
Feline distemper and dogs question Marcel Beaudoin Cat health & behaviour 8 January 18th 06 09:17 AM
feline distemper peter Cat health & behaviour 15 July 28th 05 08:55 PM
Feline Distemper Arjun Ray Cat rescue 5 July 28th 05 08:55 PM
Distemper Cindi Cat health & behaviour 21 October 5th 03 12:35 AM