I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

Old June 24th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Follow-up (WAS: I Do Not Understand My Neighbor)

jmcquown wrote:

On 6/23/2016 5:21 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:07:32 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/21/2016 10:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

Guess who knocked on my door this morning asking if I'd seen Blaze?

Yep, she let the cat out while she was doing some weeding by one of her
patios. She went inside for a minute and when she went back outside he
was gone. (Imagine that! A cat wandering off!)

Sorry, I haven't seen him. I'd have known if Buffy saw him. LOL

Fortunately, she called me about 30 minutes later to tell me he'd come back.

One of these days she's going to pull this trick with a cat that will
*not* find its' way back. Good luck explaining that to the person who
trusted her with their beloved cat.

It's an awkward situation, what with her being your neighbour.
I don't think I could help but warn any people I knew that were
trusting her to take care of their furballs.

I've thought about that. I don't know who her "clients" are. No idea
who is owned by Blaze.

And then there is the fact I don't want to alienate her. She's a ditz,
obviously, or determined to be convinced all cats are outdoor cats.

But she's been a wonderful neighbor. I don't want to alienate her.

Have you talked to her about it at all? Voiced your concerns? It wouldn't
have to be expressed as a criticism of her. You could frame it like, "I'm
concerned that you will be liable, have you considered what would happen
if someone's cat died because you let them outside when they asked you
not to?" So what I'm suggesting is that you approach her like you're on
her side and you're concerned that she's leaving herself open to big
trouble. That might motivate her to stop letting them out, without feeling
alienated.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old June 24th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea. This is not the old indoor-outdoor debate. This is
a question of following someone's instructions. This neighbor sounds
very selfish to me, and that alone might make her think about the
possible consequences if Jill uses that approach.

MaryL

Old June 24th 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:32:33 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea, appealing to her own possible liability if
something goes wrong might do the trick.
Old June 25th 16, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/24/2016 4:32 PM, Bastette wrote:

Have you talked to her about it at all? Voiced your concerns? It wouldn't
have to be expressed as a criticism of her. You could frame it like, "I'm
concerned that you will be liable, have you considered what would happen
if someone's cat died because you let them outside when they asked you
not to?" So what I'm suggesting is that you approach her like you're on
her side and you're concerned that she's leaving herself open to big
trouble. That might motivate her to stop letting them out, without feeling
alienated.

I haven't approached it from that angle, no. She sure was worried when
she couldn't find him so it may have crossed her mind.

The first time I spotted him (upsetting Buffy) she told me he "escaped"
the first day. (I'm not convinced of an escape.) She justified letting
him out after that because he found his way back.

She *knows* how I feel about it. When she told me the owner
specifically told her not to let Blaze out I was so surprised I blurted,
"You did it anyway?!" Her attitude is "but he likes it!" Maybe so but
it's not up to the cat, or her.

If it happens again I will definitely take this approach. I'm not
convinced it would do any good, though. She's very stubborn. She seems
to believe a cat will just sit there like a trained dog just because she
tells it to stay. Buffy is only my second cat but even I know better
than that!

Jill
Old June 25th 16, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 6/25/2016 3:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

If you think she will continue to let Blaze out despite his owner's
wishes, then I think I would take steps to let the owner know what is
going on. It would be tragic if Blaze disappeared or was killed because
of your neighbor's attitude. I do realize you want to keep on the good
side of your neighbor, but perhaps you could let the owner know by
casually mentioning the number of times that you have seen Blaze out
(and how upset Buffy gets) rather than a "tattle tale" type of conversation.

Good luck!

MaryL

Old June 26th 16, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/25/2016 5:46 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

I don't know who the owner is. My neighbor is a bit of a blabber mouth
but she never did mention who owns Blaze. If I knew who owned him I'd
definitely tell them.

Jill
Old June 26th 16, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

On 6/24/2016 8:07 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:

This afternoon there was a huge orange tabby which came wandering over
from her house. I knew immediately... but I called her, all innocent:
have you seen a really large orange tabby out back? "Oh, that's Blaze.
I'm cat-sitting."

She specifically told me the owner does NOT want him going outside. She
claims he escaped the first day and she feared she lost him. (I have NO
idea why she is not taking care of these cats in their own homes.) She
found him but said, "He likes it! outside!" So she let him out when she
was on the patio. "I told him to say where I could see him." Oh sure,
he'll obey you. WTH?

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

She should certainly not go against the owner's wishes. I'm sure the owner
wouldn't leave her to care for the cat if they knew she let it out. It's
dangerous to let a cat out when it's not used to it.

Judith

I agree, Judith. Unfortunately she seems to think she knows better.

Someone else pointed out less dire consequences but fairly obvious: what
if the cat comes home with fleas? The owner will certainly wonder why
an indoor cat suddenly needs to be treated for fleas.

Jill